78 card Jean Noblet Tarot by Jean-Claude Flornoy

Umbrae

Le Marseillais said:
To prononce Noblet ?
Certainly not as Hamlet, but let's say Noblé (with an accent on e, and without prononcing the t).
Merci boucoups mon ami...

prudence

I truly appreciate everyone's replies regarding the Marseilles "S"....I feel much better knowing that I am not alone in being confused about that, I was starting to feel like the Homer Simpson of the TdM world. DOH!

VGimlet

I got my deck today - wow, fastest shipping from Europe ever!

And what a beautiful deck, I can't wait to use it. I think the box is very excellent as well. :D

thinbuddha

So I got it, and I only have a couple brief notes.

First of all, it is a beautiful deck. Everything is quality- you can see that the details were all pondered, and while I might want to change some of the choices that were made, none of the choices are bad. One can tell that care was taken when considering every detail.

The LWB is pretty extensive. When I heard it was 64 pages, I figured that those pages would be split between French and English. Not so- the LWB was exclusively English. I assume that there is a French version that is used when shipping to customers in France. The LWB covers only the majors. If I am not mistaken, it is a reworked version of (parts of?) "Journey of the Soul".

I expected to notice the swords. The missing cards. Even though the missing cards were pips, I expected to be able to tell by looking which were the recreations. Not only couldn't I tell, I had convinced myself somehow that the misssing cards were 2-6 swords. It was a good hour before I picked up the book and read that the missing cards were 6-10 swords. So yeah- the cards are very well done.

As a matter of fact, this is by far the nicest "recreation" of a deck that I have yet seen. Hadar's deck was one I always liked, but somehow the pips in his deck have no personality. Nothing else even compares. On the whole, I like the photoreproductions better- but that's because of my appreciation for the messy stencils and sloppy work that goes into the original decks.

The box is wonderful. I know- who cares about the box, right? Well, I do- it's part of the package, and it is nearly perfect. It looks a bit like a large box of cigarettes- as if Marlboro made a box that holds 40 cigs rather than the normal 20. The celophane wrapping reinforced this feeling.

Getting inside, the first thing I noticed was that there were no maker cards. I had to run off to a class, so I didn't get a chance to look very closely at first, and it didn't regester that my deck was missing a card. Yep- ROY DESPEE is AWOL, and in his place is none other than a second representation the trickster himself, LL BATELEVR! What did that dirty mage do with the King of Swords!

I haven't even been able to bring myself to shuffle yet. I've counted the cards several times, hoping that somehow I'll find the King has been hiding in the waters of LA LVNA or in the skirts of LA PAPESSE - or perhaps he was hanging with LE PENDV? But alas! He is nowhere to be found! I don't suspect that I'll have any troubles getting an extra card from the Flornoys (and I do hope that it is of the same size as the rest of the deck). The whole thing is a little...... annoying. It has extended the anticipation for this deck to an extra week or more....

But the wait- folks, 350 years has been worth it, so I can go an extra week.

-tb

rox

King of Swords lacking?????!!!!!

Of course, this is very disturbing news. We will send you another right away. There is no way of knowing if this is an isolated incident. My own deck has this King, but I haven't opened others. Never fear - you won't have to wait another 350 years!

What exactly does LWB mean? I know it refers to the booklet, but the initials?
Yes, there is a French and an English version. Yes, the text "Journey of the Soul" has been revised/refined with reference to Noblet in particular, and to reflect Jean-Claude's evolution with respect to his own ideas.

Maker cards? Aren't those the two of cups and the two of coins? They are surely present?

Clue me in

Rox

Bonnie

Lwb

Roxanne:

"LWB" refers to the "Little White Book" - the pamphlet that accompanies each deck. :)

Blessings,
Bonnie

Alta

'maker cards' are extra cards added by the publisher, often advertising other decks or effectively acting as a title card.

My deck came today as well!

gregory

Mine has all its cards + one like a business card but the same size, with a little message from Rox. I LOVE it.

And the majors sets, too.....

thinbuddha

rox said:
What exactly does LWB mean? I know it refers to the booklet, but the initials?
Maker cards? Aren't those the two of cups and the two of coins? They are surely present?

Little White Book

And the makers cards- Yes, the 2 of cups and 2 of coins are present- I was thinking of the extra card(s) that are usually included with mass market decks. Sometimes it is an advertisement for other decks, sometimes it is a short written statement about the cards, sometimes it is a blank card, in case one is lost, and sometimes there is even an alternate version of one or more cards. I had figured that a card such as the alternate 2 of coins with Flornoy credited might be included. You can see this card here:
Feuille-2-web.jpg

rox

Maker cards

Ah, the link indicated shows the Dodal 2 of coins, which was effectively "adapted" (just the editor's name and town) for the latest Dodal edition (in this case, really extra "maker's" cards). For the Noblet, Jean-Claude didn't want to intervene in that way, since the complete Noblet included his own (Noblet's) two of coins. For the complete edition, the big single sheet the cards were printed on had three "extra" card spaces, but he learned that very late. By then, the box was already designed for 78 cards, the whole process was underway, and .....it was too late.

So, its Little White Book, is it?

Good to know. Thanks, Roxanne