78 card Jean Noblet Tarot by Jean-Claude Flornoy

le pendu

It's official!

For some time we've talked about the rumored 78 card Jean Noblet "faithfully reproduced" by Jean-Claude Flornoy; I'm happy to confirm that it is hot off the press and will be available shortly.

What I know so far is that this is a complete 78 card deck (with the five missing cards, the 6-10 of swords, recreated), printed by traditional means on a press, rather than like the hand-stenciled 22 card Trump-only edition.

This is not a photo-reproduction, but rather an attempt to reproduce what the Noblet would have looked like when first published around 350 years ago.

The Tarot of Jean Noblet is the oldest surviving TdM. It shares many qualities with the Jean Dodal deck which was published around 60 years later. Together, these decks typify iconography that tarot historian Thierry Depaulis labeled "TdM I", having many differences that seem older than the style commonly found in Nicolas Conver decks. There are also some wonderfully unique details found only in this deck.

I've been a fan of Jean-Claude Flornoy's work for years, and have dreamed of having a full 78 card Noblet.. so this is cause for some celebration.

I'll post details as I learn them. If anyone can contribute other information please add it as well!

prudence

Yay!!!!

I was so hoping for this. Will it be exactly the same as the 22 card edition?

le pendu

prudence said:
Yay!!!!

I was so hoping for this. Will it be exactly the same as the 22 card edition?

It will be different.

The 22 card editions are truly works of art. Handmade, with each color stenciled layer by layer. Each deck is a unique version.

The 78 card deck will be much more like other tarot decks. It is being printed on a printing press, so "mass-produced". The good news is that they will be more easily accessible, and I assume at this point, more affordable than the custom 22 card decks.

I've had confirmation from Tarot Garden that they will be carrying the new deck, but don't have any more details yet.

Of course, having a 78 card version of the custom decks would be remarkable, but the efforts and costs would have been unbelievable. It makes sense that they chose to do it this way, kind of like the Hadar or Camion.

Abrac

Thanks for the heads-up le pendu. I've been holding out for the 78 card version so I'm anxious to see how they turn out.

Granted, the hand-crafted trumps are nice, but I'm not so sure this is how they would have looked new 350 years ago. It looks like how they may have looked if Noblet had made them in 2007. lol

Tesseljoan

78 card Noblet Marseille available

Last night I finally bit the bullet and ordered the majors-only restoration from the Noblet by Flornoy. Roxanne Flornoy e-mailed me a few hours later, pointing out that they now have a 78 card edition of the Noblet available. It's industrially printed (without the hand-stenciled colours that the majors-only versions have), and so a lot cheaper then the majors-only version. The majors-only edition of the Noblet will eventually be allowed to go out-of-print.

Now, I don't have any of Flornoys decks yet, so I can't give you a detailed review. Many people here have sung the praises of his decks. And besides, the Noblet is a really interesting variant of the Marseille, and a must for anyone interested in the Tarot de Marseille (that's why I'm finally getting one :D). You can see the original majors and Flornoy's restorations side-by-side here: http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Noblet/jean-noblet-page-3.html

I know a few of you might be interested in this deck, so here's a link to the boutique (scroll all the way down to the bottom):
http://www.tarot-history.com/boutique/index.php?Lang=EN

ETA: Ooops, looks like Le Pendu had already started a thread on this. Mods, do with this one as you see fit!

Tesseljoan

O, whoops. I sould've checked here before posting in Tarot decks.

I have ordered the Noblet directly from Flornoy. I'm (not so :)) patiently waiting to send him my money, but this version is very affordable: 22 euros. I couldn't find a reason not to get it.

The hand-stenciled Noblet will be allowed to go out of print.

le pendu

I'm very excited to have the 78 card deck available...

but...

if the 22 is going to be allowed to run out then I need to make a plea to please consider getting a copy while you still can.

This shows how the 22 is made:
http://www.tarot-history.com/The-Atelier/index.html

It's amazing that we can get that kind of craftsmanship in this day and age.

I'm sure the 78 is going to be a great deck, both for the historic merits and for the care I know that Jean-Claude Flornoy puts into his work. It will probably be one of my favorite tarot decks published. The 22 is one of the most valued items of any kind that I own.

Le Diable, I mean, le pendu whispers in your ear "get them both, get them both!"

Debra

Ok, devil-boy, but if you were to advise between the 22 Dodal or the 22 Noblet from M. Flournoy, which would it be? (Suffering credit cards want to know.) Any other folks who know these two re-visions from Flournoy have an opinion? I'd love to hear what you all think, as both decks look just stunning to me.

Also. Can you actually shuffle and read from them?

Ayumi

I've just ordered two. :*

Minervasaltar

Ai, ai, ai. I already had (and love) the Dodal and Noblet majors, and I just ordered the full Noblet deck. Have to have it, even if I really can't afford it right now (but 22 euros is cheap isn't it?!?) and I'm going on a three-weeks holiday next week so I won't be home when it arrives. My fingers took over from my brains.
You see, the Noblet Royne de Bastons has real boobs with actual nipples. :)

Can't wait!!! :) :) :)