One Deck Wonder

Kissa

wow Jewel-ry, thanks for sharing!!!

off to grab my hadar and watch the cards you drew as hadar designed them.

as for me, i have been encountering a lot the 8 of cups lately. this figure walking away, leaning on a wand. felt like s/he came to have a look after seeing something in the water but it was nothing, or at least not what s/he thinks it was. so the character returns to his/her goal after being disturbed, goes back to his/her path which somehow doesn't look like an easy one, rocky it is. i definitely love the universal waite colors, the softness and the shadows that Mary Hanson-Roberts brings to Pixie's lines. i cannot see anything fluffy in there. yes some characters smile and have a nicer look (= user-friendly) than on the originals but overall it doesn't bother me, i like it better when ppl are happy :p

kissa

Emily

Hi my name is Emily, I have 50+ decks and I'm a collector :)

I've been studying the tarot now for around 4 years and during this time have moved from deck to deck and have only committed myself to one deck in all this time - the Morgan Greer for around 18 months now I think. I read mainly for myself.

The Tarot of the Old Path has agreed to work with me for this journey, I'm keeping the Morgan Greer on the sidelines just for moral support but I'm going to start out with 6 months and see how it goes from that. I'm not going to use a Marseilles deck.

I feel excited by the fact that I'm just going to be using the one deck - the Tarot of the Old Path has only been with me for just over a week and in this week its the only deck I've wanted to use and at the moment I feel that I can get so much out of a study like this. I'm not going to pack my other decks away because I still want to see them but I'm also going to try and not buy any other decks during the time I do this study.

I have already set out a Journal and will also be using this deck for the 78 card study starting in November.

Satori

Hi there J,
What a lovely reading.
You know, you've gotten me so excited once again about studying the Marseilles with your reading.
When I was doing the Let's Marseilles! readings they were always so deep and powerful for me, but when I spend time away from the deck I always feel intimidated by it.

I agree, when I saw you had the two of cups I felt a little thrill! And then laughed out loud at your saying the fish were sticking their little tongues out.

Now don't forget what Diana would say.
Wouldn't she say that you have nine magic wands to play with, to light your way.....Oh so many wands!

You must be quite a bataleur to be able to handle the wands in such an easy manner. The two of cups, you raising your cup of love to the Tarot of Marseille and the Tarot raising a cup right back...perfection.

But the As de Batons is just so great to have...fire and passion for a new endeavor....brilliant green growth for you to use in this endeavor....just awesome.

My Hadar comes out tonight!

bleuivy

Well, it's official. I've just ordered the Raidant Rider Waite from overstock. The scans I've seen on it online look so colourful. I think I can work with it for the next several months, especially since the winter months can be so blah and drab. I'm looking forward burying myself in those colourful landscapes as the one outside my window becomes more and more grey.

Wow - I haven't been this excited to receive a deck for months and months, since I ordered the Gilded and then the Fey. Both of those decks became cherished favorites, so I have high hopes for the Radiant Rider Waite. :):):)

Satori

When I was doing my reading yesterday for my client I was really pretty pitiful. I was such a deck tourist! Luckily the girl was a reader herself and I explained what we are up to, but I kept getting sucked into the deck.

So, for instance, behind the King of Pentacles is a pink house, a little pink castle. And I thought, "Oh, home is where his heart is!". And the earthy King of Pentacles didn't seem to refute that a bit...he seemed to lean back into his throne, contentedly. Now I was joking about this in a PM to a friend, and was being facetious about putting it in a Tarot journal, but I do think it was important.

What I wonder about is:
-will that pink castle always be about a love of home and place?
-should I use that if the King of Pents comes up and I'm bone dry about what to say, so I just blather, this guy is a home body...
-will I have to wait for the next reading and see if the pink house pops?

So, when you use a deck for a long period of time is the idea to build associations, be encyclopedic about it, and really develop your own index of meanings around images on the cards, or is it the opposite, to become familiar with the images and let them speak to you, and not worry about it? Or is that the same thing!

When I read now I just let the cards talk.
Lark says she just has to glance at the card in her Robin Wood deck and she can talk about the image within the context of the new reading...hmmmm

I don't want to over analyze things, I'm just wondering about the journal. What to write, what to "study".

PlatinumDove

Alright, I've finally been able to sit down from my running around all day and type my intro out. :)

Hi, my name is Platinum Dove (PD for short). I've got approximately 14 Tarot decks and one oracle deck, and numerous, numerous tarot books. I was sure I had more decks, maybe they disappeared during Katrina, I don't know. Its sad when you spend so little time with your decks that you don't remember which ones you have. And that's why I'm here.

So, I've decided to pick my Visconti Sforza for my unillustrated pips deck, and my regular sized Thoth for my illustrated pips deck. As I was going through my Thoth last night, I was amazed at how beautiful that deck truly is. Its like I was seeing it for the first time. I've shied away from my Visconti because it was unillustrated pips...its my only unillustrated deck, and I wasn't sure I could handle it.

Well, here I am, trying to make the best of one year without my other decks, and learning as much as I can from my Thoth and my VS. Journalling should be interesting.

I plan on starting on October 31st, 2005.

Umbrae, thank you for the numerology info for the unillustrated pips...I would have been lost without it!

lark

Hi elf
The journal for me was an on going thing, as a matter of fact it still goes on.
Just lately the 10 of Coins RX has ment in 3 different readings having to care for or fearing they will have to care for an aging parent.
So I added that to the journal.
So go ahead add home body and content to putter around the house to your journal.
If he wants to tell you more he will...maybe in the next reading or maybe he won't show up for awhile.
Over time the cards will pop up with different meanings.
I just add them as they come.

****So, when you use a deck for a long period of time is the idea to build associations, be encyclopedic about it, and really develop your own index of meanings around images on the cards, or is it the opposite, to become familiar with the images and let them speak to you, and not worry about it? Or is that the same thing! Quote from elf:

I think it's a little of both.
Or almost the same thing.
After you work with a deck for a long time and especially when you read for others with it it you do develope your own index of meanings along with the more traditional meanings.
Based on the input your client gives you....they are the key because what they say is the most important information, it guides you in a learning process of where the card wants to go and what meaning it wants you to see.
And those meanings come from flashes of intuition...insights into symbols and colors, noticing little things, like that little pink castle for instance.
I remember Umbrae had a great insight into the 4 of Swords with the IIT because of the colors.
(maybe he'll pop in and tell us about it.)

So yes it's a little of both.
And i think that was a great insight you had today!

Also exactly what this thread is for.
To talk about what you're seeing and learning.

Satori

Thanks lark. That was a great response. I have a journal, I don't think it is big enough but, it is what is for now...

jewel-ry, I can't wait for you to get your deck!

Satori

kissa who is pixie of Pixie's lines? Pamela Coleman Smith??
Is she known as Pixie?

Jewel-ry

elf said:
jewel-ry, I can't wait for you to get your deck!

Neither can I!!

Lark. Thanks for your response, it was really inspirational.

Keeping a journal is an individual thing and I have to admit to changing my mind frequently on what should be in it. Recently I havn't kept one at all but I do regret that because I did a reading for my son over a month ago and the only card I can remember seeing is The Moon. I wish I could remember the rest of the cards because it seems pertinent to what he is going through now. Anyway, I digress. Mostly my journalling has petered out because I had too many decks, too many bits and pieces and I just couldnt organize my thoughts.

This time though, it will be different. I intend to record readings (and hopefully will be able to add more for other people) but also to jot down my thoughts on the cards...like your little pink castle, elf.

I want it to be more personal than anything I have done before.

I am glad that some of you are going to still persevere with the TdM. It really shouldn't be discounted too quickly. It has many messages which I feel it has yet to give up to me and I am hoping this will happen too on this journey.

Thanks for posting Umbrae's number system, elf. I do have it somewhere but...guess where it is? ;)

~