One Deck Wonder - how are we doing?

Sulis

Hi Folks,

For those of you who don't know, I'm referring to the group of people who decided way back in October to use one deck only for the next 78 days / 6 months / a year.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=49243

Well it's coming up to Yule and I'm still using just my International Icon Tarot.
I was just wondering how everyone else is getting on.
I know a few of us have 'fallen off the wagon' but how many are still doing this and what do you reckon now after a couple of months.

I'm thoroughly enjoying using this deck - I love it, I think I've truly found 'my deck'. The one deck I'm really missing is The Fey, I've almost caved in a couple of times this week because I really want to take a look at The Fey :)
I'm looking forward to seeing my family for Christmas as I think I'll get the chance to do some face to face readings with my IIT and I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience.

So come on Elf, Jewel-ry, Emily, Lark and anyone else who thought they'd give this a go: How are you doing?

Love Sulis xx

Satori

Hi Sulis,
Well I'm still being faithful to the IIT, but only just.
I admit that I'm falling prey to all kinds of deck envy.
And I know it is an illusion because I'm also now at the point where all decks look sort of mundane to me.
I'm not sure what stage this is.

My urge to collect has been somewhat dampened, and for that I'm grateful.
I was in this "gotta have it" mode and I was buying like crazy. And then suddenly none of the decks had appeal, and now, I'm slightly worried about my lack of interest in decks.

Just to test my resolve I bought a deck tonight, one that I've wanted for a while. Ancestral Path Tarot. I've gone thru it a couple of times, but it is only just another deck. I'll put it in the box tonight.

Tonight at the bookstore I did 3 readings, which was the end of a big dry spell for me. And the IIT was there with me, and it was a nice evening.

One of the readings went so beautifully.
It was bam! Bam! bam! over and over with every turn of the cards.

One reading was ok, but not seeming to be a big hitter, but then the feedback to the cash register person was pretty good, so I was heartened.

And then the big reading.
The one with me crying.
The one where the first three cards went back in time to the kid's birth...and adoption. But I didn't see that at first....

It was stunning and beautiful. But at first again it seemed like a dud.
I knew I was missing something but couldn't catch it.
And then the kid tells me he's adopted.

Suddenly the first sequence is humming...and I couldn't contain it...and shattered. The sorrow, the despair, the sense of loss and separation...and I was sitting across from a 16 yo crying and trying to regain my composure because now I could see what I had missed.

Without that bit of information the reading would have failed.

And the IIT, was still the IIT, but it was riveting.
The images shimmered like they were alive, and the story was unwinding like a spool of dropped thread...

The colors were hot, ignitable.
The yellows and oranges were like a desert, and the kid is telling me..."south america"....
And I'm looking and seeing stuff that the IIT would seemingly never show.

It was beyond words. That I finally connected my tongue to my eyes and brain, shut off the water works and offered a reading was the miracle of the evening. The emotion kept threatening to overwhelm me again and again.

And finally, heartwrenchingly, the magic receded, and my cards were again just one dimensional and flat, almost dull.

That was it for me. I packed my bag and walked to the counter to collect my money with half an hour still left to go at the store. I was done.

But I'm still not saying the IIT is IT. Now how is that for a hard sell!

lark

Elf that was beautiful!

I'm still using mine.
And a few other readers at the fairs spotted it and loved it.
I had a hard time getting it back one day!!!
They bought copies of their own now and we're having fun discussing the cards together.

I started out using a Marseilles deck with it to study.
I would pull my daily spread and then put the same Marseilles card next to it.
That kind of fell by the wayside.
It just didn't click with me and I wasn't seeing much of a connection...so its just me and IIT for now.

Like elf and Sulis the sheer beauty of it's simplicity just gets to me everytime I use it.
And as elf described so well it comes alive in the reading so that you aren't just looking at pictures but whole lives and concepts...it's hard to explain.

Also I have been giving some pretty amazing and down right spooky past life readings with it.
I always use my Golden for that, and I have developed a little reputation for past life readings so clients still ask for them.
So I was a little nervous at my first past life reading with the IIT and wanted sooo badly to reach for my Golden.
But I trusted my IIT would come through for me and it sure did!

I too am thinking over my decks.
I haven't bought anything in a long time.
I'm looking forward to the Jane Austen Tarot, but I really have no desire for anything else.
And I really want to simpify my collection now.

At the moment I have no plans to stop using the IIT exclusively, I feel there is still so much to gain from this way of study.
I do miss my Robin Wood sometimes, but she understands and will be there for me when one day I go back to being a deck switcher.
But for now I'm really enjoying this.
Just me, my deck, and my notebook. :)
It feels very free.

Jewel-ry

I too am still here. The IIT is the only deck I am using. My only regret is that I have not done any live readings but I feel sure that I will still benefit from this experience. I do offer myself up for lots of readings on here and often lay out my own cards with others readings so I can practise my readings skills.

I did use the Marseilles while I was waiting for the IIT to arrive but once it came there has been no going back. I once said that I wanted to be able to recall the cards in my mind without having the deck in front of me and that is happening now with many of them.

I really don't miss the other decks at all. It would be nice to pull one out and look through it some day and when I do I feel sure that it will just go back in the box. I feel like I have simplified my tarot my experience, that by packing it all away I have streamlined what I am doing and it is working beautifully.

I still dont feel the urge to buy any other decks although I did buy Sakki-Sakki book. That is a present to myself at xmas and one day I will go back to that deck with the book...but in a controlled way :p

I do know my hubby has bought me a deck for xmas which he is excited about because he has done it all by himself. Usually I buy them and give them to him to give me!!!! I will take some pleasure from that for a couple of days but feel confident that it will just go in the box with the others. It is actually quite exciting for me too because I have no idea what it is and it will be a real surprise.

I use my notebook to jot down interesting insights...like the day I saw the page of cups as blushing...and the occasional study of one of the cards. I have to say that I have better experiences with the court cards than any other and that I think the minors are wonderful whereas the Majors seem a bit too 'fussy' in some ways.

Its the colour of the deck which sparks for me and always draws me in and I get more and more 'sparks' of intuition from that than anything else. The colours seem to give the cards an 'atmosphere' and I think thats what I am beginning to get a sense for with each card.

I really think that I will use this deck for a long time and am completely committed to it right now. I know the others are tucked up safe and cosy and they aren't going anywhere. I feel pretty loyal and now I am feeling this way I don't think the other decks can threaten that relationship. There will come a time when they can come out...one at a time...and safely go back into their beds without fear of compromising what I am doing but for the moment...I am happy :)

catlin

Great to hear you are still going on with your One Deck Wonder and that you have such interesting insights.

I did not resign myself to this test (sorry but I have to break in a new deck once in a while) but maybe you will be pleased to hear that the readings I have done for querents during the last few weeks were done only with RW or Legend Arthurian. Of course this does not count as a kind of One Deck Wonder.

Kissa

been off the great One Deck project for a while now. haven't read a lot either, so i'm almost not cheating ;)

right now, i only feel interested in the thoth deck and i would never have believed so. it just kicked me back to the tarot world that was almost boring for the spoiled child i had become.

and no book for the deck, not yet, though i probably miss about 90% of the card meanings. yet some messages just hit my face, i am going to post in the Readings section the first reading i did with the deck, ie my traditional "new deck reading" when i have no other question to ask or just to warm up and melt the ice between us...

thumbs up to all of you guys who are in the One deck wonder project!

:)

kissa

ps: elf, sorry honey haven't answered your pm yet but we're clear, i'm still your finnish mate, right? ;)

Emily

I'm still using the Tarot of the Old Path - Its a beautiful deck, it speaks so loudly to me - I've looked at other decks since starting this study but I haven't read with any others and I have no desire to. I did pack most of my other decks away and just left a couple downstairs so my tarot shelf didn't look so empty but I've only been tempted once with the Golden but I didn't read with it.

Life seems so much easier now. I'm studying one deck, using one deck and really getting to know it. I'm reading intuitively now, joining in much better with groups with the Old Path. I never did with the Morgan Greer. I would easily give all my other decks up if I could keep my Old Path and once this year is over then I will go through my decks and have a clear out. Infact the rate this deck is wearing I'm going to needing that extra copy of the Old Path that I ordered by accident.

I ordered the International Icon and intended to use it with the Old Path but it didn't work out. I like the deck but I don't want to spoil the connection I have going with the Old Path so I'll keep it for after.

I'm pleased I'm taking part in this study - I feel liberated for some reason lol I knew it would be pretty solitary with no one else studying this deck but after getting the Wise One (Hermit) when asking about this study, I was prepared to just go with the flow. :)

Little Baron

Kissa said:
i only feel interested in the thoth deck and i would never have believed so. it just kicked me back to the tarot world that was almost boring for the spoiled child i had become.
)

Me too!

I have a massive bump on my head, as well ..

from falling head first off of that tarot waggon.

LB

rainwolf

I'm still going :)

I also admit that I have been tempted to go back to my RWS since that is the only deck I have ever had real pure confidence in. However the Thoth is opening up to me and I know it is becoming more and more accurate. I read somewhere that it takes a little bit before the Thoth gives dependable results. I guess it doesn't want to just be used once ;)

I don' use the Druidcraft very much, but it is there for backup if I tire of the Thoth for a while.

I've mainly been doing daily draws with my Thoth; got a little notebook to write down my daily draws and everything. I have to admit I miss my NotMS deck as that was a real connection. I'm glad that I'm experiencing Thoth however, because it just feels like a "step". Once these six months are up I will be glad to go back to my missed decks however :)

I recently took my RWS out just to give it some shuffles, and I have to say that it was once very flexible and feeling worn, but now it feels stiff as if to say "you left me". Maybe thats what decks do if they feel unwanted *shrug*

inanna_tarot

Still carrying on, been very good and not asked for any tarot decks for christmas as well!!!
Working with the Thoth and the DruidCraft has been fabulous, though I am starting to feel an itch to go even further and try the IIT, but I'll have to wait for some pennies and make it to January 10th before that happens.

Festive huggles,
Sezo
x