$5 deck sale at Llewellyn

SilverCloudedWolf

Just a quick question: do you have to pay import duty on tarot decks if you live in the UK and order from Llewellyn (or any foreign tarot seller for that matter)?? It's just that someone reminded me of it today so I want to avoid the shock :)

Thanks,
Silver

Netzach

No - unless they're worth a lot of money. Perhaps if you'd bought forty of them . . .

SilverCloudedWolf

No, just two! That's good to know. Thanks Netzach!

shadowdancer

not sure what the ruling is on cards, but I have been caught out with purchases from USA.

I recently bought £21 worth of tarot pouches from an e-bay seller that side of the Atlantic, and was hit with another £7.23 for VAT/Handling fee/ Customs duty.

Ironically if it had been worth £18 or less it would not have applied. It is a risk for sure.

Davina

Netzach

I think you were unlucky. Normally vendors put a minimal value on the declaration form. Anyway, two decks is $10 - about £6.50 - so there won't be any duty to pay on that.

fairyhedgehog

There is still the cost of the postage to the UK though - for one deck it is $16! Three decks worth! (For three decks P&P is $22!)

Netzach

fairyhedgehog said:
There is still the cost of the postage to the UK though - for one deck it is $16! Three decks worth! (For three decks P&P is $22!)

Yes but duty isn't charged on postage, only on the value of the goods.

fairyhedgehog

True, but I wasn't meaning that. It is just how much postage increases the costs. I have been lucky, I've not had to pay duty on anything yet!

Abrac

The Tarots of Marseilles (Burdel) I ordered came today. I was taken aback when I saw it was different from the Tarot Classic which also claims to be based on Burdel. Before I ordered the deck, I was still a little unclear on just exactly what was going on here. Well, it seems the Tarots of Marseilles is the one actually based on Burdel. I like the deck, but not as much as I thought I would. I was hoping for another version similar to the Tarot Classic. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe I'll grow to appreciate it once I have had time to learn more about it. Still, hard to go wrong for $8.

Le Chat

Le Chat Gives In

I was not going to get involved in this, but last Thursday I ordered four decks. I guess I didn't beat myself up too much because tonight I ordered three more. Am I correct in reading that their Marseilles deck is not what I think it is?