"Weasel Words" du Jour

Barleywine

Those of us who have been reading predictively for some time are understandably leery of making bold pronouncements like "Yes, he loves you!"; "No, he won't return!"; and "You will definitely get the job!" If we're honest, we usually couch our observations in more open-ended ways that admit to being possible or maybe even probable, but seldom definite. When I'm in a face-to-face scenario and in "story-telling" mode, I have a number of tricks-of-the-trade that I use to talk my way around making iron-clad estimates of likelihood. But when writing, and especially when analyzing a long spread, I'm challenged to come up with fresh ways to say "maybe." I might say "This card suggests . . ." or "implies;" "looks like;" "makes me think;" "could mean;" "indicates;" "leads me to believe;" "shows the possibility of;" "encourages" and other rather squishy words and phrases.

In the language of prevarication, these are known as "weasel' words," imaginative ways for the speaker to squirm around the issue without being pinned down to an unequivocal position. They leave an escape route. I'm not suggesting that we're being less-than-truthful, but I suspect we all do it to some extent. I'm curious how others here avoid letting their noncommittal expressions of relative certainty or uncertainty become repetitive or redundant, beyond the all-purpose disclaimer "The future isn't carved in stone."

DDwarks

I just put my money where my mouth is these days.
I'm more of a "To me this says ..."

I went through the weasel phase and it made me feel like I wasn't sure what I was talking about when I was or that I was keeping people in the dark when they asked for guidance.
Weasel is wishy washy Doreen Virtue fluff in my opinion.

I don't set out to be blunt or hurtful but I'll say what needs to be said.
I do warn people in advance though so if they don't like the style they can go somewhere else! No offence taken!

It's worth noting that I'm a Queen of Swords and that I live in an Autistic household!

Barleywine

I just put my money where my mouth is these days.
I'm more of a "To me this says ..."

I went through the weasel phase and it made me feel like I wasn't sure what I was talking about when I was or that I was keeping people in the dark when they asked for guidance.
Weasel is wishy washy Doreen Virtue fluff in my opinion.

I don't set out to be blunt or hurtful but I'll say what needs to be said.
I do warn people in advance though so if they don't like the style they can go somewhere else! No offence taken!

Frankly, "To me this says . . ." is an example of what I was talking about. It implies ". . . but it might not mean the same thing to you."

DDwarks

Frankly, "To me this says . . ." is an example of what I was talking about. It implies ". . . but it might not mean the same thing to you."

It doesn't mean the same to me.

To imply (to me) is to suggest. You implying the cards talk about X Y Z is suggesting it as a possibility.
It's indirect and yes weaselly.

I'm telling you my cards talks about XYZ.

Barleywine

Seems to me anything that starts with a qualifier and not a simple declarative is skirting the borders of "weasel-dom." There might also be sound legal reasons for doing it. If I tell John "You're going to win the lottery this week" and John goes out and buys a million-dollar home on credit, he might have legal recourse against me. If I say "This card suggests that fortune is turning your way," John might make a less risky move.

Padma

I dunno. After years and years of reading, I just get on with it. I say, "this is what I see". Point finale. And I then proceed to say what I see, no cushions or exclusion clauses. I don't try to soften blows very much, beyond human gentleness and compassion, and I don't use catch-phrases to make myself safe.

I also no longer charge for readings, though! }) they get what they get. And I let them know that before I begin.

ETA I have also said: "This makes me think" or "this makes me feel". Those might be weasels according to your standards (but not mine). Because if it makes me feel or think that, it makes me feel or think that. I am not trying to get out of anything. I'm just explaining my process, as far as I am concerned.

DaughterOfDanu

I've been trying to find alternatives myself. I don't like to use "definites" as even though my listings carry a disclaimer, most my clientele are not readers themselves and may not keep it in mind that I approach readings with the belief that the future is not set in stone. I find myself using "indicates" and "likely" the most but I would like to expand my repertoire as well.

Though one time I received some very unhappy feedback from a sitter who began every point with "If you're so psychic" due to my use of words like "may" :p I think I've told this story a few times on the board. It made me livid back then but now I chuckle whenever it comes to mind. Especially since she also had an issue with the reading being too negative compared to another psychic she saw regularly who told her nothing but good things ;)

Saskia

I personally use expressions such as "to me it looks", "this is what I see", and "this card in this situation/position could mean/indicate...", but the latter doesn't work that well in practice.

I understand where you're coming from Barleywine, and I also try to avoid definitives. However, I've learned that when I use conditional language (could mean, implies, indicates), sitters tend to push their view (the lost love WILL SURELY come back, when cards indicate no) and won't accept an interpretation which is against their hopes, because they think I'm seeing something cloudy and blurred and I might be wrong, then!

The difference between "I see", "to me it seems", and weasel words of "might mean, implies etc." is that the first is more definitive but it's still not conclusive or absolute.

When something looks like something to me, I'm telling my personal interpretation of the facts as I see them. When something is implied or indicated, there's more blurriness - well, is it or isn't it? And if that card might mean X in that position, what else could it mean, and what does it mean in different positions then?

The sitters tend to accept "I see" and "to me these cards say" more readily, because then they understand it's a subjective interpretation even if another reader might see something else, but the interpretation is as factual or clear as I can give - it's not cloudy or subject to negotiation.

Barleywine

I think part of it stems from the story-teller's art. Rather than simply saying "this-is-this" and "that-is-that," there is a tendency to embellish, and that leads to less pithy verbiage that can "soften" the message. Another aspect is wanting to empower querents without unreasonably "super-charging" them. Rather than "an opportunity for 'xyz' is coming your way," I'm more likely to say "Be alert for an opportunity related to (whatever series of cards I'm focusing on)." That way it moves the obligation for paying attention to details onto the querent.

Padma

Rather than "an opportunity is coming your way," I'm more likely to say "Be alert for an opportunity related to (whatever series of cards I'm focusing on)." That way it moves the obligation for paying attention to details onto the querent.

I just say opportunities are coming, try not to squander them. Or something of the like. I am not comfortable with the new age tarot "speakeasy" feel to the cards, myself. And I won't go into details on that, because there is sure to be dissent :/ (the cards can't do this, they can't do that, they are this, they are that, etc...)

ETA I think we don't truly know what we are messing with, personally. We do our best to read the signs.