To Cut The Cards or Not to Cut The Cards...

Nae Mirier

:) It's cause I'm right handed so the non dominant hand, supposedly, has an unconcious intuition. Therefore it's your subconcious dictating the reading so you don't get just what you want to hear.

tarotlyn

when you said you used your left hand to cut:
...I thought it was because healing vibrations and energies come into your body
through your left palm and then go out through your right palm...

...in my case, that is what I feel 24/7 ...

When I was a little girl I felt energy and vibrations throughout and all over my
body and realized that it was primarily coming into my left hand. So I grew up
thinking that "everyone" had the same thing...only to later find out different.

I believe a lot of people in this work experience similar things.

Re: Cutting cards with your left hand (putting energy into cards fromyour left
hand) and going out to your right hand while laying out the cards and turning
them over). Not sure how that works for left handed people.

Editing to say: I do have Uranus (electrical energies and vibrations)
conjunct my Moon (feeling) that rules my asendant (physical body).
Most of the time, it makes me feel like a little antenna! :bugeyed:

:) :heart:
tarotlyn

Zingara12

Thanks everyone...

That was a lot of help ;)

Grizabella

I was just reading a book that says the cutting of the deck with the left hand (or non-dominant hand) somehow got mixed up with Tarot from the Gypsy palm readers reading the non-dominant hand first and associating it with the spiritual and then the dominant hand with the mundane. It wasn't traditionally a Tarot practice at all till recent years.

Nae Mirier

That's extremely interesting, Grizabella. :D Strange how all of these things get so mixed up that we don't know what is what anymore. At least I don't. :)

tarotlyn said:
when you said you used your left hand to cut:
...I thought it was because healing vibrations and energies come into your body
through your left palm and then go out through your right palm...

...in my case, that is what I feel 24/7 ...

When I was a little girl I felt energy and vibrations throughout and all over my
body and realized that it was primarily coming into my left hand. So I grew up
thinking that "everyone" had the same thing...only to later find out different.

I believe a lot of people in this work experience similar things.

Re: Cutting cards with your left hand (putting energy into cards fromyour left
hand) and going out to your right hand while laying out the cards and turning
them over). Not sure how that works for left handed people.

Wow! I wish I could feel energies like that. Sometimes if I sit real still for a long time with no stimuli, music etc., I think I can feel it but it only lasts for a second or two and I think that it might be my mind/body playing tricks on me.

tarotlyn said:
Editing to say: I do have Uranus (electrical energies and vibrations)
conjunct my Moon (feeling) that rules my asendant (physical body).
Most of the time, it makes me feel like a little antenna! :bugeyed:

:) :heart:
tarotlyn

I've always been so interested in how the planets effect us. I know I'm a Pisces wich is ruled by the moon(?). I think. And that's where my knoweldge ends abruptly. I have a book on astrology but it doesn't really talk about planets that much. :D

SunChariot

Zingara12 said:
Ok I am starting my own thread here in hopes of getting some insight.

When doing simple Yes/No spreads or Timeline spreads, do you cut the cards or not? And how many times?

Thank you.

You do whatever feels right to you. They're your cards, your took to use as you will. Any way will work equally well if you decide it's what you want to do and feel at home with it. That being said I find it's best to have decided on how you plan to do it before you start the reading.

And imho neither Yes/No questions have worked well for me and I have my doubts that they can be accurate. Timeline ones especially just because any little thing can come along and change the timing of what you are asking about. The future is fluid after all, and not set in stone...

Just my opinions,

Babs

Umbrae

Famous story!

A little girl was watching her mother prepare a ham for a huge family holiday get-together. Her mother cut off the ends of the ham and threw them away.
“Why did you cut the ends off and throw them away?”
“Because that’s the way my mother taught me.”
The girl runs into the next room. “Grams, why do you cut the ends off the ham when you cook it?”
“Well, it’s tradition I suppose. That’s what my mother taught me to do.”
She turned to the little girl's great-grandmother sitting next to the fire. “Mom, why do we cut the ends off the ham before we cook it?”
“We? I know I did it because the pan was too small. Never could figure out why you did it.”

We do with the deck whatever must be done to make it feel right – at that time.

Cut? No cut? What feels right today, may not feel right tomorrow, so my only rule is…

What feels right today.

morticia monroe

Umbrae said:
Famous story!

A little girl was watching her mother prepare a ham for a huge family holiday get-together. Her mother cut off the ends of the ham and threw them away.
“Why did you cut the ends off and throw them away?”
“Because that’s the way my mother taught me.”
The girl runs into the next room. “Grams, why do you cut the ends off the ham when you cook it?”
“Well, it’s tradition I suppose. That’s what my mother taught me to do.”
She turned to the little girl's great-grandmother sitting next to the fire. “Mom, why do we cut the ends off the ham before we cook it?”
“We? I know I did it because the pan was too small. Never could figure out why you did it.”

We do with the deck whatever must be done to make it feel right – at that time.

Cut? No cut? What feels right today, may not feel right tomorrow, so my only rule is…

What feels right today.

Most excellent.

Demon Goddess

just me being irreverent here... but doesn't counting how many times you shuffle as you're shuffling reek of being just a little over ritualistic, not to mention just a little anal retentive???

janstar17

I follow a pattern of riffle, flop and cutting when I work with my reading deck -- 3 riffle shuffles, 3 rounds of the flop shuffle, and a 3-way cut into piles that I restack from center-left-right.

I have no idea why I do this -- I guess I realllllly like cycles of three :D

I don't do it because I think it bestows anything significant on the cards. For me, it is more a ritual that allows me to center my focus a bit and clear my mind some from the sludge of every day life.