A Music-Inspired Spread

Jaydoggy

This is a spread which I created based on the musical solfage language. This does not mean that it has to be a music-based divination. Instead, meanings are based on the roles of musical notes. If you're not a musician, you don't have to worry because there will be brief explanations.

There are seven cards. They are spread either horizontally or have a slight ascending pattern from left to right. This spread does not contain an "outcome" card, but rather advice on the current situation or question.

|1| |2| |3| |4| |5| |6| |7|

do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti

1) "Do," the "tonic," or the current key of the song or piece. The current situation.

2) "Re," the next ascending note. The current direction of the situation. Not all music moves from "do" to "re," thus this is not fate.

3) "Mi," what gives "do" its key and power. Thus, the shield of the situation. What supports the situation, current key factors.

4) "Fa," the "do" of the previous key. Thus, the past influences.

5) "Sol" (sometimes simply "so"), the "dominant" of "do," and the "do" of the next key. Where "mi" is the shield, "sol" is the sword of the situation so to speak. It is its strongest aspect, the driving force of the subject, their best strength.

6) "La," the note which can cause a song to be more moving or sad. Thus, this represents the weakness of the situation or subject.

7) "Ti," the "leading tone," the note which allows the song's key to be what it is. In other words, this card represents what it needed, or what should be sought after.

If you feel there must be an outcome card (or simply feel that the musical scale should be completed), an 8th optional card would be the new "do," an octave higher from the previous do. The outcome of the scale. The end of the song.

Fostha

Looks like an interesting spread,i look forward to giving it a try.

Hemera

Oh I love this spread! I have been looking for something like this. Thank you :love:

Moonson

as a guitar enthusiast a have to say:
Very interesting spread!!
and at the same time a music lesson! ;)

Morwenna

Hurray, a music spread! And one that makes sense both in Tarot and musically!

--from a longtime choral singer and guitar dabbler, also in CT

doormousey

This is such a cute idea! I can't wait to try it. :)

liminal_k

Thanks! I appreciate the relationship of meanings to the solid, literal relationships of notes. It is also an easy way to remember all the positions for a seven card spread.

choirqueer

I am so in love with this spread, I cannot even begin to tell you. What a brilliant idea. Thank you so much!

(I'm a choir nerd...the only thing I'm geekier about than Tarot is choral music. :-D)

irmata

Such a great idea, Jaydoggy! I've got a musical background too, so this really appeals to me. It's going in The Book :) I've been thinking of creating a music-based tarot "deck"... need to work out the details.

iceclone

I think this spread is really great. You used a different version of this (pentatonic spread) with the gay tarot reading exchange and it gave some really good results. Thanks again for this spread.