Victoria Regina original VS. Chinese printing... my thoughts

jcwirish

I am posting this comparison because some of you here have asked to share my thoughts. I have wanted this deck for a very long time. I went ahead and bought the Chinese version, because I just loved the images so much. Well, my initial reaction when I got the deck, was real disappointment. As many of you know, the Chinese printing is selling on Ebay for a round $60.00 when you add in shipping. Well, this is not a $60.00 deck.

I have since spent a bit more for a copy of the original printing, and feel that this deck was worth every penny (thanks dad for the birthday money).

Okay, a side by side comparison as I see it.

The original cards are much larger (think Druid Craft). The card stock is nice and not too shiny, but well laminated. The images are large and easy to get lost in. They are beautiful to gaze at and rich in detail. The accompanying book is very good, but there is no need to have a book with this deck. It says a lot all on its own, and is very conducive to intuitive reading.

The Chinese version have smaller and thinner cards (think Lo Scarabeo size). This is still a decent size and is easier for small hands to shuffle. The card stock is lousy (in my opinion). The lamination feels a little gritty and the cards stick together a bit. This may ease with time, but the cards feel flimsy and bend very easily. I don't think they will have much lasting power. Two of the cards had already started peeling after only a day of shuffling. This could just be my deck, but I wouldn't count on it. That being said, the images are still great. They are smaller and don't pull you in as much, but I'm sure a better reader than I could still get a lot from them. I initially thought the images were less detailed, but in comparing the decks side by side, I don't think I was being fair about the Chinese printing images. They are smaller, but they do appear to be clear.

I certainly would not have spent $60.00 had I seen the cards before I paid for it. More than anything, it's the card stock that makes this deck weak. Of course, the book is useless unless you can read Chinese, but I don't feel the book is necessary.

If after all this, someone still wants to get a copy of the VR and can't afford to buy an original, don't spend the money! I'll trade mine to you but wouldn't feel right selling it. If I keep the deck, I think I will re-laminate it and use it as my travel deck or something. I do think it's worth having the deck for its images and readability.

These are my thoughts, for what they're worth. I hope this was helpful to some of you who are considering buying the Chinese printing. If you are luck y enough to find an original and have the funds, buy it! I am so glad to have it as part of my collection.

Hope this was helpful, Johanna

I know I should post pics for you to see, but I haven't figures out how to do this yet.

KafkasGhost

Most excellent, jcwirish.
This answers a lot of my questions and I'm glad I held out on the Taiwan deck.
Let's hope that enough people's interest will cause another printing of the original!

strings of life

Thank you for posting this here! I am one of the ones who is holding out to get my hands on the Llewellyn set; it's been on my wish list for a while. I was considering ordering the version from Taiwan, but thought it was a lot of money for a deck that I didn't know the quality of.

It's a shame that Llewellyn isn't going to release it again; it seemed like it sold well at the time and that there is still interest in it (am I wrong)? Usually publishers will set a number for a print run and if it does well, they'll keep selling it. Again, I don't know the history if the deck and how it sold at that time...

Reviews like this are so helpful, really. And, I am sure that others may have have had better experiences.

I'm going to sit tight and wait for this deck :).

MareSaturni

Thank you for this post!!! It was very, very helpful indeed!

I was thinking of buying the Chinese version, but now i won't. No use for a deck that will get easily damage with usage. Not to mention, the price + the shipping of the deck to my country, which is absurd.

I wish LLewellyn would reprint it... yeah, fat chance.
I think the Victoria Regina will be always just a dream for me :(

jcwirish

Marina said:
Thank you for this post!!! It was very, very helpful indeed!

I was thinking of buying the Chinese version, but now i won't. No use for a deck that will get easily damage with usage. Not to mention, the price + the shipping of the deck to my country, which is absurd.

I wish LLewellyn would reprint it... yeah, fat chance.
I think the Victoria Regina will be always just a dream for me :(

I don't know. I found mine here through another AT member, and the price was much better than the ones I hear about on Ebay. You might just post an ISO and see what happens. It's worth a try.

OctoberGwen

Thank you very much for posting this - it was really informative.

jcwirish

OctoberGwen said:
Thank you very much for posting this - it was really informative.

I'm glad it was helpful.

missy

jcwirish, I also appreciate the detailed post comparing the two editions! Thank you. :)

Based on everything you have said, I definitely want to hold out for the original Llewelyn version. The Chinese/Taiwan version is not for me. The original one sounds lovely and worth the extra money! :heart:

strings of life

jcwirish said:
I don't know. I found mine here through another AT member, and the price was much better than the ones I hear about on Ebay. You might just post an ISO and see what happens. It's worth a try.
I just did this. Trying my luck...

It would be interesting to read a review from someone who has the Taiwan edition...

jcwirish

Oh Aurarcana, Good luck!! I hope it works out for you.