Victoria Regina original VS. Chinese printing... my thoughts

Flaminica

It's interesting and timely that you make this comparison. I recently exhumed my Victoria Regina which I bought ten or fifteen years ago. I never bonded with the deck at the time and I wanted to give it a second chance.

Now I'm not a collector and up to now I've never paid too much attention to things like print quality or colour separation. I think Aeclectic has educated me. *grins* But on second inspection I was shocked at how poor the printing of this deck is. A greyscale engraving-based deck really needs clean, sharp, strong blacks to make it pop but the ink in my VR is washed out and grey, as if the ink was watered down. The anemic inking isn't even consistent from card to card. Some cards are noticeably darker then others. This jumps out dramatically if you read with them.

As large as the cards are, they're still not large enough for the amount of detail in some of the collages. It's not just that the detail is hard to see - the detail is missing altogether, reduced to meaningless clumps of ink splotches. The Wheel of Fortune is probably the best (worst?) example of this. If the new Chinese printing is on smaller cards I can't imagine how many of the busier designs will look like anything but a muddy mess.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe I want to de-enable folks from spending $60-80 on a deck that will disappoint. Alternatively, perhaps the smaller size will smooth out and disguise the flaws in the art, of which there are many. I'd be very interested in seeing some comparative scans.

jcwirish

Hi Flaminica,

I know, I'd love to show some photos. I just am so darn inept with the computer and don't know how to do this. I can assure you, the New printing is lousy. The card stock is the worst, and the images are much smaller and far less effective.

I do love my Llewelyn Victoria Regina, but I d agree that the wheel card is not that great in terms of clarity. It is hard to see the details. That card is a bit of a disappointment, but overall, I love the deck. It just works for me.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

missy

Flaminica said:
It's interesting and timely that you make this comparison. I recently exhumed my Victoria Regina which I bought ten or fifteen years ago. I never bonded with the deck at the time and I wanted to give it a second chance.

Now I'm not a collector and up to now I've never paid too much attention to things like print quality or colour separation. I think Aeclectic has educated me. *grins* But on second inspection I was shocked at how poor the printing of this deck is. A greyscale engraving-based deck really needs clean, sharp, strong blacks to make it pop but the ink in my VR is washed out and grey, as if the ink was watered down. The anemic inking isn't even consistent from card to card. Some cards are noticeably darker then others. This jumps out dramatically if you read with them.

As large as the cards are, they're still not large enough for the amount of detail in some of the collages. It's not just that the detail is hard to see - the detail is missing altogether, reduced to meaningless clumps of ink splotches. The Wheel of Fortune is probably the best (worst?) example of this. If the new Chinese printing is on smaller cards I can't imagine how many of the busier designs will look like anything but a muddy mess.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe I want to de-enable folks from spending $60-80 on a deck that will disappoint. Alternatively, perhaps the smaller size will smooth out and disguise the flaws in the art, of which there are many. I'd be very interested in seeing some comparative scans.

I appreciate your thoughts, as well! This was very enlightening and an interesting take. I have never seen either of these, but as I like larger images, when I get my Victoria Regina (one day!) I want the original Llewelyn. But I had no idea it had these sorts of issues. I still want it, though! :D But I can see how it would affect the smaller cards of the Chinese printing.

I, too, would love to see some scans. Maybe someone will post. Fingers crossed!

strings of life

Well, I have the Llewleyn on the way and can take close ups of it. Can someone take photos of the Taiwan version?

Thanks for your honest review Flamenica. Do you have the original before the Llewelyn edition? The artist put it out herself first, correct? I know that the Llewylyn version came out in 2001.

I've waited for this deck for quite sometime. And, having been new to Tarot, I wasn't able to purchase it when it came out at that time. I don't think I'll be let down; I've heard so much about the artwork. And, I like that it's black and white, allowing for you to concentrate on the imagery alone.

KafkasGhost

aurarcana said:
Well, I have the Llewleyn on the way and can take close ups of it. Can someone take photos of the Taiwan version?

Thanks for your honest review Flamenica. Do you have the original before the Llewelyn edition? The artist put it out herself first, correct? I know that the Llewylyn version came out in 2001.

I've waited for this deck for quite sometime. And, having been new to Tarot, I wasn't able to purchase it when it came out at that time. I don't think I'll be let down; I've heard so much about the artwork. And, I like that it's black and white, allowing for you to concentrate on the imagery alone.

Cool! :thumbsup: How did you score it??

KafkasGhost

missy said:
I meant I had never seen either of these decks in person. :) I have seen online scans of the original, but not comparative scans of the original Llewelyn versus the Chinese printing.

;) gotcha. I'd love to see either version in person. Too bad there is no virtual reality tarot card shopping.

strings of life

KafkasGhost said:
Cool! :thumbsup: How did you score it??
I followed what jcwirish did and tried my luck and posting an ISO in the Trade Forum. And, I ended up getting it from MoonGypsy, one of my favorite trading partners :D. It should arrive any day now!

KafkasGhost

aurarcana said:
I followed what jcwirish did and tried my luck and posting an ISO in the Trade Forum. And, I ended up getting it from MoonGypsy, one of my favorite trading partners :D. It should arrive any day now!

Vurry nice! Let us know your impressions.

I shouldn't even THINK about a subscription for access to the trading forum. Nonononononono...