Worst tarot advice received?

nisaba

Wendywu said:
Lillie!!! That's not fair. I get my most of my decks from ebay .... now I shall be eyeing them with deep suspicion :joke:
<hysterical laughter>

nisaba

CelticDruidess said:
*decideds never to buy another deck from Ebay again*

And that's another myth I've heard - you should never buy second-hand...
It's not a myth. You've just worked out why it's good, practical advice!

<scurries away and quarantines her own second-hand decks>

nisaba

Originally Posted by Taamar
One of my friends is a witch who is deeply into the powers of Mystical Femininity. She told me that my deck would work better if I wrapped it in...
Actually, now that I think on it, she's not all that good at mystical femininity.

Doesn't she realise that menstrual blood, like urine, is a waste product that the body is trying to get rid of before it causes medical problems?

Taamar

nisaba said:
Actually, now that I think on it, she's not all that good at mystical femininity.

Doesn't she realise that menstrual blood, like urine, is a waste product that the body is trying to get rid of before it causes medical problems?

Since when has anyone let reality interfere with their belief system?

Actually, her reasoning was 'this is the physical manifestation of my body's ability to cleanse and renew itself', which makes some sense... sort of.

Whatever, I'm still not keeping a damn bloody cloth in a ziplock in my fridge until he full moon!

nisaba

Taamar said:
Actually, her reasoning was 'this is the physical manifestation of my body's ability to cleanse and renew itself', which makes some sense... sort of.
Except that the yucky stuff the body is trying to cleanse itself of, she wants us to yuck up our decks with! <falls about laughing hysterically ... tears in my eyes ... aching diaphragm ... worried cat>

shadowdancer

This may have sounded a bit strange, but I respect the beliefs and practises of individuals will perhaps differ to what is perceived as the 'norm'. I remember making up a witch's protection bottle many years ago. The contents did include menstrual blood, broken glass and urine. Sounds gross when typing it in the cold light of day but it was a ritual I took seriously.

Interestingly, a friend of mine when she had purchased a very old house (and we are talking around 300 years old) she renovated the kitchen which included sorting out the crumbling floor. She found an 8 spoke wheel and a bottle with liquid buried inside. I had no doubt she had found a witch's bottle, and admired her respect for replacing these items intact. (I didn't tell her what the liquid may have been).

As to wrapping the deck in such a cloth, I respect the reasoning behind why that person saw it as important, albeit I would not even think of going down that route. Personally I would not do that as we have to remember, at the end of the day we are talking about something that is cardboard, thus prone to being damaged. In addition if others are going to handle the deck I think I owe it to them to ensure they are not going to be asked to handle something that may not be as hygenic as it could be.

Davina

Taamar

Thank you for the reminder to respect others beliefs. For the record I expect others to be exactly as incredulous about mine.

Sinduction

The witches bottles are completely different than what we are talking about here. Those are used for protection and are supposed to be buried around the grounds that we live. No one gets into it, it's in the ground.

Putting blood on a deck that others will be handling is a health hazard. And has nothing to do with Wiccan practices. Tarot is not a sacred object to us. I have done something similar with blood, but with my own personal wand. No one touches it, it isn't out and around to be touched.

But to do that with a deck has nothing to do with our practices. So, feel free to joke. I think it's hilarious myself. It brings such an awful picture into my head. Like a new "Always" commercial. :D

AmethystEyes

Sinduction said:
It brings such an awful picture into my head. Like a new "Always" commercial. :D
:bugeyed: A bit more expensive though, eh? :laugh:

shadowdancer

blimey, I think my musings have caused some consternation which was not my intention. I totally agree the witch's bottles and what has been described regarding tarot deck practises here are two very different entities indeed. I guess I was just trying to show how some 'fluids' which people go eeekk at, are often used in rituals. Maybe I was inappropriate, and if so I apologise to anyone who felt their hackles rise.

I do fully agree with the issue of health hazzards with this practise we have heard ascribed to tarot decks. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough in my own posting. I just can't even imagine ever considering it - it does cause alarm bells. Maybe this person never lets anyone else touch the decks?? I hope so.

Davina