Worst tarot advice received?

WinterRose

I have to admit, I do find Ebay to be great. Although I did once receive a deck with half the cards missing.... doh! lol!

Lillie

nisaba said:
Chalk is interesting. It may be bad advice as far as practical effects in divination, but it is definitely interesting stuff.

Chalk is interesting.

I don't know if people are aware of this, I'm sure that some are and some aren't, but a good proportion of England is covered in a layer of chalk, just beneath the top soil.

Many of the most famous ancient monuments are in this area and although we see them now as green, like the great ditch and bank at Avebury, when they were first made they would have been a startling white because of the chalk.
Furthermore the people who dug it would themselves have become coated with white chalk dust as they were digging.

We can ask whether this was just because they liked the look of it, or because it showed up well (like the white horse cut into chalk), or because the chalk itself had some ritual meaning to them.
And though we can never know the answer to this question it is nevertheless interesting to ask and speculate.

So, yeah. Chalk...

Sorry for the digression, I'll let you all get back to talking about body fluids...

nisaba

Lillie said:
Chalk is interesting.

I don't know if people are aware of this, I'm sure that some are and some aren't, but a good proportion of England is covered in a layer of chalk, just beneath the top soil.
Terry Pratchett knew that witches don't grow in the Chalk - they need good, hard flint and iron to grow on.

But Terry Pratchett also knew that under the chalk downs, deep flint lay, just biding its time ...

Lillie said:
Sorry for the digression, I'll let you all get back to talking about body fluids...
And other helpful bits of totally inappropriate Tarot-advice.

Like: study the LWB, and memorise the keywords. They contain everything about the cards there is to know, and if you say anything a bout a card that isn't in the LWB, you'll be wrong.

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Folks,

As interesting as this is, discussions about witches bottles should be posted in the Spirituality forum.

Could we get back onto the topic of the worst tarot advice received as I think the menstrual blood suggestion has been thoroughly discussed now?

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

zan_chan

Personally I think that the worst tarot advice you can get is that other people have good advice to give you. With so many commonly believed myths out there (witches blood anyone?), so many mistakes in history, in use, in everything else, tarot, to me, seems like something that needs to be figured out for oneself. Every wrong turn, every error, every bad purchase, every myth believed and then debunked - all of it was a curve on the path to becoming as knowledgeable about and able with tarot as I am now.

I'm excited to continue making as many mistakes as possible :)

gregory

I think the worst advice anyone ever gets is the one that starts "X IS the case...."

There are no rules, so it can't be :) Tarot is infinitely varied.

Alta

The worst advice that I have heard is one tarot reader telling another.... "the (5 of pentacles or whichever card) ALWAYS means this......".

Totally dead-end advice.

WinterRose

Oh, totally bad! But I've heard something similar too.

greatdane

So....

some "readers" try to reduce tarot to basic game rules like Monopoly? Well, I guess that is no-fuss, no-muss tarot. I wonder if they keep a cheat sheet on their lap....

GD

WinterRose

*Puts hand in the air* OK, I'm guilty of THAT, GD! Well, the 'cheat sheet' at least... when I was first learning how to read the cards, anyway, I had a chart with commonly used keywords for each card. Now, of course, I go on pure instinct. (and only check the card's meanings when I'm totally stuck) :D