Worst tarot advice received?

BlueBlulle

Nosy Rosie looked over my shoulder one fine afternoon at the coffeehouse...

"All tarot decks will mislead you, unless you have a deck devoted to angels." When I pressed if it was tarot itself that was the issue, or the images used in the theme, I was told, "The angels can make pure any unpure thing.."

I asked her what to do with the deck I had in my hand (Universal Waite). (I was curious how far she wanted to take this.) She looked idly at the cards and said with a straight face, "Give them to me, and I'll have them purified before destroying them."

For some reason, she seemed upset that I turned down her offer.

greatdane

Um BlueBlulle?

You didn't mention how many fingers she had left after she tried to take your deck lol :). Geez, I love how some people are so sure they understand what the Universe or God, or whomever they feel is kind of at the controls, wants.

daphne

worst advice - if you read tarot cards you attract all evil forces in your life, everything will start going bad for you, bad luck for your entire life!

214red

worst advice i got was that there were rules, and things had to be a done a certain way.....

Sinduction

BlueBlulle said:
Nosy Rosie looked over my shoulder one fine afternoon at the coffeehouse...

"All tarot decks will mislead you, unless you have a deck devoted to angels." When I pressed if it was tarot itself that was the issue, or the images used in the theme, I was told, "The angels can make pure any unpure thing.."

I asked her what to do with the deck I had in my hand (Universal Waite). (I was curious how far she wanted to take this.) She looked idly at the cards and said with a straight face, "Give them to me, and I'll have them purified before destroying them."

For some reason, she seemed upset that I turned down her offer.
Hahahahahahahaha! That is one I hadn't heard yet! But what about the Saints deck? :D Surely the Saints can make them pure!

greatdane

Question please

daphne, just have to ask, and what was your reply to the person who said how tarot brings you bad luck? The first thing that came to mind for me would have been to say and why do you believe that? I think often we feel in the hot seat when someone comes out with something outrageous we aren't expecting, so I just find asking a question back can defuse. I know when someone offers anyone (often unsolicted!) advice about anything, not just tarot, it's easy to get thrown, so I just ask "why"? At least then it hands them back the "hot potato"!

214red, I haven't gotten the whole rules thing yet either, 214red. I thought tarot was just a tool everyone used in their own way for their best benefit.

Sinduction, I do think it's interesting that some people think that if certain decks are used for their readings, then cards become "ok". If not, then the cards are "bad".

WinterRose

Apparantly, you should always sleep with your deck under your pillow before using them - even before SHUFFLING them.

Sorry, but I like to get the box open as soon as I get home, take a good look at the cards and do a few readings with them straight away (just simple basic ones) to get the feel of the deck!

Greatdane- exactly, Tarot IS a tool for everyone to use as they see fit! But people will keep attaching rules to them - and that's where the silly myths and legends about Tarot spring up.

Here's some hilarious 'advice' from a website:

"It is clear that everyone cannot 'read' the Tarot Cards, and Reading the Cards takes much Insight, Intuition, and Calling. Beware mundane readers. Few and few between are called to read the Sacred Tarot."

MUNDANE readers?? *Giggle* What a load of rubbish. Everyone has the skills and abilities needed to read Tarot, and the more you do it, the stronger those skills get.

gregory

Oooh ooh, I am mundane ! }) I BAGS be mundane !

daphne

greatdane said:
daphne, just have to ask, and what was your reply to the person who said how tarot brings you bad luck? The first thing that came to mind for me would have been to say and why do you believe that? I think often we feel in the hot seat when someone comes out with something outrageous we aren't expecting, so I just find asking a question back can defuse. I know when someone offers anyone (often unsolicted!) advice about anything, not just tarot, it's easy to get thrown, so I just ask "why"? At least then it hands them back the "hot potato"!

I did asked "why" and the answer was "because I had a friend who started to had really bad luck when he started with tarot readings, everything in her life fell apart and she got really ill, etc and as soon as she stopped with the tarot, everything went back to be fine"

greatdane

Wow, Daphne!

Thank you for sharing that. It always amazes me where some people get their ideas about tarot. It sounds like how superstitions start: so and so saw a black cat and they tripped ten minutes.....therefore black cat equates tripping.