didnt get the Thoth I ordered, should I keep it anyway?

Sulis

I remember when the green decks were around and everyone was complaining about them and calling them 'icky'.
Funny how opinions change - you couldn't give one away a few years ago and now they're going for big bucks.

Lillie

gregory said:
How would YOU tell ??? }) You could outvibe any Thoth deck.... :D

Yeah, my greenie said I had a weird vibe and it was a little bit scared.

Poor thing.

Yes, I remember when I first started here, no one wanted the icky green!
Funny how things change :)

Emily

I remember that too - when I first got mine used, just holding it made me feel ill lol - someone offered to take it off my hands but I held onto it because no deck had ever affected me before, so I put it with my other decks and gradually warmed to it. I love it now, the green colour makes the cards vibrant, very pretty - its my favourite Thoth, I like the borderless backs and how the cardstock feels and it does feel very different to my normal large Thoth.

You'll be able to track one down, also the scans don't do them justice - when I scanned mine, it still looked greener in the hand than it did in the pics.

I've added a scan of my Thoth Cup Prince - this is one that usually stands out in a green deck :) And also one that you could ask a seller to send you a scan of, you'll be able to tell straight away if its a true greenie. :)

Attachments

• Thoth_Prince  greenie.JPG
    Thoth_Prince greenie.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 105

Le Fanu

gregory said:
I have to warn you that some really are HUGELY greener than others. I bought a WONDERFULLY green one on ebay once; sadly there was a card missing, so when someone else here had a different card missing, I sent him the missing one from mine. He is still getting over the shock; it sticks out like a sore thumb.
'twas I. My Greenie was missing the Ace of Disks and gregory sweetly sent me one from her deck. Talk about sore thumb, sore broccoli thumb. However, it's nice that the deck is complete. Maybe my greenie isn't representative but I don't really warm to it, I have to say. There are other editions which have much sharper and richer colours, why would anyone opt for the greenie wash? My 1986 3-Magus Large Thoth is so much more beautiful in terms of colouring... Even the current ones which can be got off amazon for a fraction of the price have nicer colouring.

Lillie

OK.

Here are my scans showing both my 'White box C's'

The green one is obvious and dates from about 2000 ish. The box has a bar code and an ISBN.
The other one is significantly older and is on very different, thicker, card stock as well as being obviously not green.

The fool shows the strange pastel effect of the greenie.

The prince of cups on the non green is not as purple as Emily's, but is still significantly lighter than the green one.

Attachments

• fools.jpg
    fools.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Prince wands.jpg
    Prince wands.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 103

gregory

I LUV MY GREENIES..... I just wish I could match the corker.... :)

Le Fanu

I really don't get the whole *greenie* thrill. Great to have one for comparison's sake and for added quirk value, but why like something where the printing was obviously inferior! How funny...

gregory

Well - time to sell yours to StarscreamF15 then. })

With its sore thumb and everything !

Emily

Le Fanu said:
I really don't get the whole *greenie* thrill. Great to have one for comparison's sake and for added quirk value, but why like something where the printing was obviously inferior! How funny...

I wasn't too keen on mine either when I first got it but its amazing how fast they can grow on you. Its not like other decks where they are badly printed or double exposed or the printing is messy. Each card in a green deck is the same, the ink for the fonts is green, its a uniform green colour on each card, even the backs have a wash of green over them. But there is still colour in a green deck, its subtle but it is there and the cardstock of mine is better than my normal large Thoth.

Lillie

I like the green decks because I got my first Thoth in the early 80's, and it was a greenie.

I used that deck for years and years.

Other decks look wrong. My head thinks the greenies are how they are supposed to look.

The only one that don't look wrong is my trimmed one, and I suppose as it has not borders it looks so different the lack of green doesn't make me do a double take at every card I see.