AAAA! Sphere addiction? ;-)

shelikes2read

I haven't actually gone hog wild BUYING mineral spheres yet, but I'm going through a phase where I'm window-shopping for them online a lot.

I've just "watched" a bunch of quartz spheres on ebay. They're just so all-fired PRETTY. :)

Just so you know: it's not only card decks that can be addicting. ;)

finaflight

I would Google, but I woould rather ask here. What are spheres?

i thought spheres was more like your surrounding area. Something like that.

shelikes2read

finaflight said:
I would Google, but I woould rather ask here. What are spheres?

i thought spheres was more like your surrounding area. Something like that.
A sphere is another name for a ball. One site I've shopped at in the past is spherestoyou.com -- they have nothing but spheres, stands, and other items to help people display their collection.

My favorites are clear quartz spheres, the clearer the better. I love the way they catch the light.

Anyway, I've been batting around ways to increase what I offer during phone readings, things that would mesh with Tarot. And it occurred to me that I used to scry, so why not see about resurrecting that particular skill. This, in turn, brought my mind back to my modest collection of spheres.

So here I sit, reviewing quartz crystal spheres on ebay, just to see what they've got. More nice things than I've got money for, that's what they've got. ;) But I do like to window-shop, so I've been doing a lot of that online.

avalonian

Clear quartz spheres are wonderful, I have four in different sizes (did have five but gave one to my nephew), they all have lovely "rainbows" in them. I also have a couple of amethyst sphere and a fluorite. And a obsidian, come to think of it. And a calcite.

Sphere addiction? Me? Surely not.

I'm not even going to start looking on-line, it's difficult enough walking away from them in shops and at MBS shows.

:) :) :)

shelikes2read

I have a shamrock-green fluorite sphere that I find hard to stop looking at, once I start. Green is my favorite color anyway, and that one is a shade of green I find especially appealing. I also have a smaller, clear pale green flourite.that's clear other than one large rainbow veil in it.

My quartz collection consists of three natural and three reconstituted spheres, all of different sizes. Reconstituted, or smelted, or fused quartz is made by taking quartz powder and using it to "grow" perfectly clear quartz blocks in a lab. Then they are carved into shapes, including spheres, that are completely free of inclusions. Metaphysically, and chemically, it's still quartz, but financially, the items are more affordable. An optically clear medium- or large-sized natural quartz sphere will make a person's wallet go :bugeyed:.

One thing that drives me bonkers about trying to buy anything quartz these days, spheres or not, is that it's apparently acceptable to assess the quartz item's natural traits, give metaphysical names to them all, and then charge a premium for them. Thank goodness I bought the first of my spheres in 1991, before this type of pricing became the norm. It's about 2.5" in diameter, largely clear, and has a phantom quartz point in it that resembles a three-sided pyramid. If it were priced for sale in today's market, I probably couldn't afford it. It's really unfortunate that sellers are jacking up prices for a mineral that's one of the most common substances in nature. (SiO2).

It's also one of the reasons I'm window-shopping right now instead of making purchases. I'll see a photo of a very appealing item, but then I'll see the price tag and think, "Darn. That's for someone with deeper pockets than I've got", and go back to looking around. Oh, well. It's not like I have a need to greatly enlarge my current collection at the moment. I just like looking around to see if there's anything that suits both my preferences and my budget. :)

ncharge

Crystals and minerals was my first "addiction". I have a display cabinet for them, but only about 60% of the collection fits in it. I started with pillars and natural formations, went through spheres, and now collect crystal skulls (from only 1 or 2 suppliers who do them best). I have managed to get really good deals, but this additiction is FAR more expensive than tarot and I have had to clamp down on myself. I do so adore minerals. As I recall, Bonnie's spheres on ebay had some unique pieces when I was collecting. I avoid any specimin from China because of the irraditation issue.

minrice

Oooooooo! I love spheres too, I totally understand the addiction. If they weren't so expensive I'd have a ton of them by now.
I only have one that I really connected with in a metaphysical shop, it's quartz with black swirls of something in it. I really want a huge quartz crystal sphere but I have to find $200 first, lol!

canid

You're not alone...I love them too. I also collect glass paperweights & some of them are not only gorgeous but can be used for divination. I'm always looking for a good deal - once I found one (my favorite!) at GoodWill for fifty cents! I have one that has tiny gold flakes inside that's especially good for vision work, one with teensy bubbles, one has ocean blue & white swirls, a black one with gold flakes...

Mellaenn

Someone gave me a carnelian sphere a few months ago and I had a clear quartz one already. Then I visited a crystal shop in Euerka Springs, Arkansas this week and picked up a rose quartz sphere.

Hmmmm - I could be on my way to a sphere addiction myself! But they are so pretty...:)

shelikes2read

Holy Empty Wallets, Batman! Speaking of expensive crystal spheres...

http://cgi.ebay.com/111-000-TITUBA-...aultDomain_0&hash=item5193f4904d#ht_986wt_911

$111,000 Or Best Offer.

:bugeyed: :bugeyed: :bugeyed:

I, um, definitely recommend the "or best offer" option to anyone who might be interested in this. For $111,000 you should be able to get enough quartz spheres to fill a football stadium.

The silouhette-shaped inclusion IS pretty cool. But not $111,000 worth of cool.