Need Help With Identification

Glass Owl

I recently purchased two incense cone holders at a thrift store for $6 each. They have blue gemstone slivers on them and I have no idea what they are comprised of or what properties they have. I bought them because they were pretty <giggle>. Any ideas?

Here is a pic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/1582ijb.jpg

cardlady22

Hello, Glass Owl! It's not very close in. Is that tin foil wrapped around the edges? How large are they in diameter?
My first hunch is a dyed agate slice.

Glass Owl

Hello, Glass Owl! It's not very close in. Is that tin foil wrapped around the edges? How large are they in diameter?
My first hunch is a dyed agate slice.
What you are seeing in the front of the pieces (on the bottom) is a decorative design in pewter and it extends underneath and behind the gemstone slices. (The incense holder part is in the back.)

One piece is about 3 inches across and the other is a bit larger at around 4 inches across.

I have a pendant that is agate (white with a touch of gray) and has lines in it that remind me of these pieces. I also purchased a beaded necklace with some other junk necklaces that ended up being black agate. For some reason I seem to end up with all sorts of agate, even without planning it.

Hemera

For some reason I seem to end up with all sorts of agate, even without planning it.
It is always interesting when this happens. There was a period in my life when I always ended up with pearls or Mother-of-Pearl. Not expensive ones but just the cheaper small varieties. It was interesting and it made some sense at that time of my life,too.

Anyway, yes, I would have said Agate as well. I often don´t like coloured Agate because it tends to be artificial looking..but those incense holders really look nice especially with the pewter.

Bhavana

It is always interesting when this happens. There was a period in my life when I always ended up with pearls or Mother-of-Pearl. Not expensive ones but just the cheaper small varieties. It was interesting and it made some sense at that time of my life,too.

Anyway, yes, I would have said Agate as well. I often don´t like coloured Agate because it tends to be artificial looking..but those incense holders really look nice especially with the pewter.

While it could be some mystical reason for agate always coming into your life, it could just as easily be that you like the designs in these beautiful stones!
This is a very pretty incense holder. I can't burn incense because I have a parrot, but I would find some other use for this, if not just a decorative one!

Glass Owl

While it could be some mystical reason for agate always coming into your life, it could just as easily be that you like the designs in these beautiful stones!
This is a very pretty incense holder. I can't burn incense because I have a parrot, but I would find some other use for this, if not just a decorative one!
The strange thing is that the pieces all have different colors and are in different forms.

I wonder - Is agate is drawn to me or am I drawn to agate? Maybe it is a bit of both :)

Bhavana

have you looked it up to see what it does, what it is used for? That might give some clue as to why it is winding up with you!

Glass Owl

have you looked it up to see what it does, what it is used for? That might give some clue as to why it is winding up with you!
I really haven't looked up its properties, I'm going to do a bit a research and see what I come up with. Perhaps some knowledges about agate will help me to understand its reason for being in my life.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

Hemera

There are some very good links in the first post of our Crystals & Herbs front page. You could start your research there :)

cardlady22

At the most general level, agate has been associated with Mercury & Gemini. I am most drawn to tumbled specimens that have clearly defined bands. It makes me think of layers of sediment (or clouds) and delving or soaring through them. The slices feel like edges of ponds/lakes, or windows into other worlds. Granted, each color variation and pattern is a World Unto Itself. As I type this for you, I realize that I don't care much for the orange or red variations. Why don't I want the fire element in my agates? Interesting that earth, air & water resonate most.