New Century Tarot

delizt

Hi there!

I don't know yet, but I ordered one yesterday, it looks very interesting!
delizt

Scorpion

Hi, Delizt!

Well, it's certainly different! I love the artwork and the colours, although at the moment I'm not sure about reading with it. Some of the scenes on the Minors are detailed but miniscule. It's an intruiging deck, to say the least. Hope you get yours soon so we can compare notes.

astril

I read that the creator of the deck used the Tarot Classic by Kaplan to ignite his imagination. The book was a gift from his wife, and the deck was born from her gift.
I have this deck and I love it. The small scenes are reminiscent of the Nigel-Jackson deck, but I love the jewel tones to this deck. It makes you not afraid to get down and gritty with it, and it really tells you like it is. I just got it about a week ago, but it is true and clear and concise, I think it replaced my Mermaids!

Try it out, what can you lose?
Astril

baba-prague

I saw this "in progress" ages ago, and really liked it. I agree though with questioning whether it is possible to read well with it. But without seeing the whole thing, I can't judge.

I'll also be honest and say that the image on The Hierophant" makes me uncomfortable - I don't think this card has to show a picture of that kind of domination. Anyone else find that a problem? Are any of the other cards at all like that?

However, I just LOVE the use of colour on this deck. Thanks for bringing it to our attention here. I think I'll look out for it "in person" next time I'm in the UK and at least consider bringing it home with me.

Do let us know how it reads and "settles" with you.

Emily

The choice of colours is really bold, makes the cards stand out - I'd love to see more from this deck - Might go and do a search in a minute.
Is it a Rider Waite clone deck or maybe Thoth based. The figures on the moon card look egyptian. I do like this deck ....... goes away muttering 'oh no not again' :) lol

Scorpion

Emily - it's really difficult to say whether it's Thoth or RWS based. I can't see a reference in the LWB anywhere and a card like, say, 8 Cups seems to me to have the Thoth feel, others - for example 9 Swords - are very RWS.

Baba-Prague - I can't say I'd really thought about the Hierophant except to notice that for me this is a really "different" interpretation. I guess you could put the Devil in the same category as he appears to be about to step onto the chest of the naked woman at the bottom of the card, but isn't that a fairly "normal" sort of depiction for this card? There's an obviously distraught naked woman cowering under the 5 Swords and a similarly positioned one in the 10 Wands is about to have a rock dropped on her from on high, but I think that's about it. I must admit I just love the style of the artwork and so I can't say I feel uncomfortable with them at all. If you want to see some of the other cards, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll scan a few in for you.

Astril - sounds like you've really "clicked" with your deck. It would be lovely to be able to read with it, but as I said earlier I'm not confident I'll be able to proceed that far. It's certainly impressed a couple of my very picky Tarot friends at work who've been known to turn their noses up at quite a few decks so far.

delizt

I got the New Century!

Hello,

I got my deck today and my first impressions are really positive. I LOVE the bright jewel-tones on the majors and the feel of the cards is nice, too. They are not overly-slick. I do not know how this will fair as a reading deck, it seems more meditative to me, but I love the artwork/colors and am glad I got it!
delizt

Scorpion

Congratulations on your acquisition, Delitz!

Yes, I like the feel of them too - it's almost as if they're matt but they're not. And the colours are so beautiful. I can think of a few other decks that I'd like to see this bright (Thoth for one, although I've got the De Luxe version on order at Borders and hopefully this will go a little way towards rectifying this).

Cerulean

Hello all, here's a website with all trumps

I had this deck for about three weeks (since Labor Day) and have enjoyed exploring it. I had bought the Tarot Classic to compare and I see that Rolf Eichelmann choose to do background 'color schemes' for the minors and put all the minor pip symbols in a central 'veil' or shape in the middle of the card; then a small scene at the bottom or around the frame. He explains the coloring and symbolism briefly, but well. I posted below and in earlier threads where the New Century is mentioned a corresponding website with early design notes

His design pays a loose tribute to Marseilles reproductions and Rider Waite pictorial schemes - but his numbering and scenic creativity feels more modern to me.

Rolf Eichelmann in English/German
In English, the tarot cards with explanations in 3 languages--you can see all the trump here with early descriptions of the majors--follow the links:
http://www.rolf-eichelmann.de/index_e.html

In German, but he seems to be a painter of modern posters, etc.

http://www.rolf-eichelmann.de/index_d.html

U.S. Games did a modern recoloring of the Claude Burdel Marseilles in it's Tarot Classic (you can see all of the Tarot Classic at www.tarot.com) Lo Scarabeo also published a version of the same Claude Burdel Marseilles with different coloring...and also did another recoloring when it was included in the Comparative Tarot