New Century Tarot

Requiella

Originally posted by LouiQ
Baba-Prague - I can't say I'd really thought about the Hierophant except to notice that for me this is a really "different" interpretation.

My reaction to the Hierophant card was very similar to Baba-Prague's--it seemed to unnecessarily portray a disconcerting level of domination.

I guess you could put the Devil in the same category as he appears to be about to step onto the chest of the naked woman at the bottom of the card, but isn't that a fairly "normal" sort of depiction for this card? There's an obviously distraught naked woman cowering under the 5 Swords and a similarly positioned one in the 10 Wands is about to have a rock dropped on her from on high, but I think that's about it.

Interesting... This type of imagery would bother me in that it seems to be that one category of people (women) are singled out, at least based on the examples given here. I haven't actually seen the deck though, so my impression here could be completely misguided.

Not that I wish to unnecessarily stir the pot, but just to relate this to the conversation going on in "The Wise Woman Tarot" thread: Some people were made uncomfortable by the Wise Woman deck's hostility toward men. Now, I haven't seen that particular deck either, but if that's true, it sounds inappropriate. The deck mentioned here (New Century) hints at some misogynist themes. I'm wondering if hostility toward women, because perhaps it's more pervasive (e.g., the mention above of the 'usual' way the devil card is done), therefore seems more normal and more acceptable.

If women are in fact singled out in this deck as the targets of violence, it's one I wouldn't want!

Cerulean

My very gentle suggestion...

I'd like to post the website again with all the majors, 22 of them for you to view. If you also explore the site, you will see his art style in general and the development of some of the cards.

I've looked at the cards carefully. I would disagree that the male or female gender is singled out. His art style is dramatic, abstract and yes there are abstracted, unclad bodies. The William Blake tarot and art styles also show dramatic poses, human faces in very vivid expressions, but I would not say that it singles out men or women. In both decks, the poses are stagy, perhaps, but the art isn't a static one.

The Heirophant, Death and Tower are a few samples where humans of both genders are abstracted and depicted somewhat dramatically. However in the Hanged Man, it is a male that is suffering as per the traditional card depictions.

http://www.rolf-eichelmann.de/karten_e.html#

You may disagree and believe the artwork is disturbing or judge a gender bias---and so hopefully, the posted website will help guide you not to buy or to buy as the art affects you.

My best wishes as you browse,

Mari Hoshizaki

Requiella

liking this deck better

Thank you for posting this link. I took some time looking at all 22 of the Majors, and I have to agree--I don't notice any gender bias. The examples posted earlier got me suspecting there might be (a gender bias), but in looking at the cards more closely, if anything, they've grown on me quite a bit. I may end up getting this deck at some point. The vivid colors are quite attractive.

inanna_tarot

hey,
i saw this deck on waterstones today and thought about getting it. I got a good vibe from the cards but i hesitated because i didnt know what they art work was like or anything! next time i'll just go with the feel good vibe and buy it! lol
I've seen it on amazon.co.uk now for a few quid cheaper as well so i may be purchasing it if all goes well :p

Sezo
x

rubricat

Got the deck a couple weeks ago and love it! :) :)

The majors on the site link in an above post are representative of the whole deck, (no surprises as in 007 deck I got at the same time!). The backgrounds for Majors and each suit have similar themes, but each card really is individual.

To me (and I'm definitely amateur still) more akin to RW than Thoth but the images are dramatic, as in Thoth.

I don't see any gender bias, as mentioned above. Mr Eichelmann's figurative painting style has the men and women looking very similar. Both men and women have long hair and a round-ish quality. If it weren't for the anatomy, I've found that at first glance I can't always tell women from men.

The deck has been very easy for me to "get to know". The images are easy to read and "feel". Am thrilled with New Century, more than I expected.

Wish the cards were a little larger to see more of the beautiful artwork, but that's all I would change.

If anyone is interested in an informal study group, definitely PM me. Would be great to get to know the deck with others new to it. (hope I didn't break any rules by proposing this idea here!)

firemaiden

whimsy, whimsy, whimsy...

Thanks for getting me to look at these cards again, I'd almost forgotten I have this deck. I bought it a few months ago and loved it, but that enthusiasm was overshadowed by a bunch of other exciting decks I got all at the same time.

I bought this deck because Eichelman's artwork reminds me of stylized paintings of French countryside I used to love to buy as postcards when I lived in France.

I delight in the bright colours and whimsical scenes.

I love the levitating (naked) maiden in the four of swords; the blue-skinned (and naked) kinght of swords on his charging red horse; the summer swallows on the eight of wands (how those birds sear through the night sky in summer, with their "scree, scree, scree!" perfect for the card meaning "swift"); I love the gardening lady on the seven pentacles, in her tilted, green summer hat. :)

I hadn't noticed the "domination" theme of the Hierophant, until you mentioned it. I see the three (naked) souls shuffling past on their knees... but this hierophant is throwing up his saintly hands with a look of surprise, he doesn't look like he's asked for this worshipful devotion... (and how is this any more "dominating" than the traditional image of the Pope his two tonsured monks? These devotees at least get to be naked - men and women all together, maybe they are worshipping the earth, about to engage in a primitive fertility rite...)

If you really want to talk about domination and submission, have a look at the figures in the eight of swords (on their knees, hands bound behind their backs - ROFL) -- or how bout the half-mummified people in the ten of swords? or the fact that these women have a corset fetish going on....(FUN DECK!)

I love the maiden on the eight of cups, with her torn scarlet dress like layers of rose petals and her bared bosom...., the ancient Hermit, with his little red dragon curled cat-like around his leg...

I think I could go on and on, maybe I'll

stop

here

for

now...

tarin

I got it for new year present for myself and I really love it. I love almost every cards of it.the the artist designed them in very beautiful way.every cards gives u the feeling that's light and relaxing by use the bright colors.I cant explain more.cos it's just perfact for me.:)

lunakasha

I have had my eye on this one for quite awhile now...I just love the vibrant use of color, unmatched (I think) by any other deck I have seen. Thanks everyone for all of your comments on this deck and for reminding me of how beautiful it is!

:) Luna

Astraea

This deck was on sale at Hastings recently and I'm so glad to have bought it. The colors are rich and vibrant, and the card size, stock and coating are very pleasing. In feeling-tone, the deck reminds me of the Kazenlar, but it's much brighter-hued and (thankfully) the images are not as busy; it is that rare combination, a deck that reads deep and true and yet is somehow imbued with an optimistic feeling.

Thea Lynx

Got it, love it. High Priestess is one of the most beautiful I have seen in any deck. And it was a pleasure to work with.

The cards are wider and shorter than the usual Rider deck, which did make it a bit more clumsy for me to shuffle. And the cards themselves were more fragile - rips start pretty easily if you shuffle a bit too vigorously, so I plan to get a second deck in case any of my current deck becomes too roughed up to work smoothly with the others.

Thea Lynx