Buying Runes

Shapeshifter

Hi I would really want to get a set of Runes

can someone please help me with choosing a good set of Runes?
or any recommendations?

THANKS

zorya

i recommend sticking to runes made from natural materials. stone, wood or bone are very nice, and each has its own 'vibe'. stay away from the many composites that are available.

the runes should consist of (assuming you want the elder futhark) 24 runes. the 25th 'blank' rune is not authentic, so your set need not have one. if it does, it can be removed.

poivre

Hi,
I made a set once out of stones from the ground. I picked the ones I liked & then marked them all & put them in a bag.
After I gave them to a friend that was studying them.

Didn't cost anything but my time!

dancer

hi..

you know that a very good idea.

I think i may try that.

dancer

raeanne

Hi Shapeshifter,
There are many nice Rune sets available to purchase. If you have a favorite stone you will probably be able to find a set made out of that stone. I have a set made from Hematite that I like very much. However, there is something very special about making your own set. My most precious set is a set that I made from a branch of a Russian olive tree that had been in my backyard for years. The tree has since died. When you make your own set, you can spend the time learning about each Rune as you make it.

dolphinprincess

I love the runes made by Tara Hill Designs

She has all different kinds of wood you can choose from.. and even sells a complete kit for making your own... I may use some of my Christmas $$ to get a set :eek:)

purple_scorp

zorya said:
The runes should consist of (assuming you want the elder futhark) 24 runes. the 25th 'blank' rune is not authentic, so your set need not have one. if it does, it can be removed.

Hi, reading the latest rune thread prompted me to do a search to see what other threads had been discussed.

I specifically wanted to know about the blank rune, so I've bumped this thread up.

Zorya, what do you mean the 25th rune is not authentic?

Interestingly, about three years ago, I made my own 24 rune set with the help of a good friend. We used wood from his tree and together we cut the branch into individual runes. Then using some sort of an electric pen tool, he carved the symbols. Not knowing about the blank rune at the time, he thought he had cut one too many. So he decided to carve an additional symbol (a flower) and I've attached that rune to the outside of the bag. The set is precious to me, because it reflects his friendship.

I lovingly buffed and waxed them with natural bees wax. I happliy used them, thinking they were accurate until one day, another friend whose been using Runes for many years, told me that I was missing the blank rune. She insisted that I make another rune to add to the set.

I didn't want to do this, because I was happy with the way they were and I wondered if adding another rune, at that late stage, might upset the balance. I mean, what if the other runes rejected it and then all readings went off-key????

So I remain with 24 runes in the bag, one with a flower attached to the outside of the bag.

To read your post Zorya, gives me reassurance that I did the right thing.

Cheers

purple_scorp

Umbrae

Blank Rune: There is no historical support for a "Blank Rune" in runic divination. It was invented in the 1980's by a writer named Blum. It should not be used in a rune casting (my opinion only).

Using a blank rune, or inventing your own is akin to inventing letters for the standard Alphabet.

Historically - the runes are the ideographic alphabet of the Norse/Teutonic peoples… So how does one simply 'change' a historical fact?

This in no way insinuates that you should not use a 25th blank rune. If that blank rune speaks to you - if you need it - if you feel it in the core of your being…then use it.

I just spent a weekend doing rune readings, looking around me at folks doing their healings, and readings…folks doing aura massage, and Reiki…and you know what?

It's all meaningless.

Some folks need the motions, the hand waving, the technological RF modulators and the machines that go beep. A whole group of us were talking and know…we can heal without the 'stuff'…but those we touch, won't change…they need the mumbo jumbo.

I have always said…when you read, it's not about you…

Some folks need a 25th rune.

The first aett represents the physical world – Midgard.

The second aett represents intuition and transformation, and corresponds to Nefheim, the underworld.

The third aett is the realm of wisdom and the application of knowledge, and corresponds to Aesgarrd.

The Aett's are nicely divided...there is no room for a 25...

Ilithiya

I admit that I am one of those people who bought Blum's runes.

But, they were $5 and I couldn't afford anything more... but, like my tarot decks, have grown with me and I can't bear to part with them or replace them... well, maybe for a set of rainbow moonstone runes with good flash!

What's odd, at least to me, is that every time I spend a few minutes concentrating on which rune personifies me, I always draw Raido without fail. Odd, that. That's also the same rune that broke some years ago without explanation... glued it back together and it's been as good as new since.

Let's see... general recommendations:

I realize I may be shot for this, but if you are *not* looking for anything based in rune magic, tradition, or authenticity, but instead want something more oracular and for counseling, then go with Ralph Blum's rune sets. I have both the Book of Runes and the Healing Runes, and they did help me through some tough phases.

If you want rune magic, and don't care about authenticity, then Llewellyn has some books on runemal - Edred Thorsson and Freya Aswynn are pretty good authors. I would avoid Lisa Peschel's book as it's good for beginner's basics but little beyond that.

Last, if you want authenticity, tradition, oracular, and magical use, avoid Llewellyn and Blum and go straight for Thorsson's Weiser-published books. It's my humble opinion that his better works were done for Weiser. And, if you can stomach it, go read some of the better-translated epics.

I'm sorry if this made little or no sense... I'm up past my bedtime! :)

llly