The Metro-Sexual Tarot VS The Gay Tarot...

AmounrA

You have to laugh ;-)

ncefafn

Hey, hold on! What superpowers do we straight women get? The ability to fake it? (Our fashion sense, that is.)

Kim

Shade

You want the super-powers you gotta cnvert, them's the union rules.

fairyhedgehog

I've got superpowers. I'm a Mum.

I have eyes in the back of my head. I can do several things at once while carrying on a conversation about something completely different. I can survive without sleep. I'm unshockable. And I don't faint at the sight of blood (much as I'd like to) or other bodily fluids (don't ask).

Centaur

AmounrA said:
To be slightly serious for a moment, what type of tarot will we have next 'the tarot of people who like red but not blue?' In some ways, is this is death by a thousand cuts?

I think that as long as there are groups of people who share a common identity then there might be the possibility of someone devising a tarot-deck tailored to the characteristics of that identity. For instance, the evil Hello Kitty has its own deck... need I say anymore?

I am trying to think what the major-arcana in the quiche-making tarot would look like. ;)

C

Lee

I think the Metrosexual Tarot would have been funnier if the author had correlated his Majors to standard tarot Majors. But it looks to me (unless I'm missing something) as if he just randomly chose 22 gay stereotypes and numbered them 0 to 21.

Of course, when we say they're stereotypes, we're making an assumption here. It could be that it's an accurate portrayal of the author's life.

Scary.

-- Lee

Centaur

Yes. His major-arcana bear very little resemblance to any major-arcana that I am familiar with. His choices of representation are in my opinion rather poor.

For instance,

The Stylist: 'The High Priestess of Style'
Is it just me or does she look like a psycho brandishing a hairdryer?

The Manicurist: 'The Shy & Beautiful Hermit Of The Salon'
Yes. Very deep stood there with her nail-file.

The DJ: 'The Hierophant Of Hip'. OMG! I almost wet myself laughing at that description! How naff.

Fabulous: 'The Strength of The City'. Eh? I think he was getting a bit desperate at this stage.

The Decorater: 'The Empres of Expression'. Apparently, he is the 'best kind of queen', and he will 'change your life in ways you didn't think were possible outside of the bedroom'. WHAT?

OK. I guess it is quite humorous, but in a sort of awful, stereotypical-manner. There just aint no depth to it. Bleurgh.

C

betteryeti

Okay, I've just read a bunch of the responses to the Metrosexual Tarot, and I've got to say: most the people here in this forum don't know how to point before they shoot -- no gay double-entendres intended. Yes, I'm the author of the deck. And yes, I did the Silicon Valley Tarot as well.

Just for starters, when I read statements like,

"I think the Metrosexual Tarot would have been funnier if the author had correlated his Majors to standard tarot Majors. But it looks to me (unless I'm missing something) as if he just randomly chose 22 gay stereotypes and numbered them 0 to 21."

Well, it just makes me exasperated. Why, you ask? Um, because EVERY SINGLE CARD IN MY MAJOR ARCANA (okay, sorry i went all caps on you for a second, but stay with me) contains an explicit, literal reference to its correspondent in the Ryder-Waite. Like, take The DJ: "he's the hierophant of hip." Get it? How about Prescriptions: "howling at the moon." The Moon. Get it? Do I need to be more explicit? Could you be any less observant?

Want to talk about shallow? The shallowest thing I see here is the level of thought, the analysis, and the attention span.

And that's just for starters. But I'm trying to be moderate here. I'll try to continue without blowing a gasket.

I've had several thousand visitors to the MST site by this point -- as well as several hundred thousand (and thousands of decks sold) of the Silicon Valley Tarot. Most everybody gets a big kick out of both of them. With the almost exclusive exception of "Tarot Experts."

I'm going to lay a few concepts on you that might blow your mind. Brace your collective spiritual selves:

1) Satire. "A composition, generally poetical, holding up vice or
folly to reprobation; a keen or severe exposure of what in
public or private morals deserves rebuke; an invective
poem; as, the Satires of Juvenal."

Say what you like about my powers of observation, but at least try to grok the concept that my little stunt isn't an attempt to connect with the Music of the Spheres, but is instead -- brace yourselves again:

2) Ethnography. "That aspect of cultural anthropology concerned with the descriptive documentation of living cultures." As in, this is supposed to be an innovative and creative re-framing of the Tarot: a lense through which to view living human cultures.

3) Breathe deeply, and say it slowly: Sense. Of. Humor. The reek of pedantry seems to waft pretty strongly in some of these posts, even when -- actually, especially when -- the point of view is grotesquely misinformed (like the guy who can't concede the point that "metrosexual" applies to STRAIGHT MEN. oops sorry caps again...)

Where did anybody get the idea that the Tarot was sacred, or that using it as a device to observe subculture is somehow a defacement? And where does anybody -- ANYBODY -- get off claiming proprietary knowledge to, and connection with, Tarot?

Okay, I'm getting too worked up here. I just typed out, then erased a line that, while totally appropriate to this discussion -- and completely within the bounds of rhetorical justice -- would be a third-rail-touching experience. So, out of respect to the Moderator, I quit.

Thanks to all of you who said nice things. Thanks to all of you who actually seem to be paying attention. Um, to things like popular culture. And the human condition. And thanks to all of you who seem permeable to things like change, and new ideas. I'm not sure you're in the majority in this forum. I'd love to be mistaken, so I'll keep my mind open.

tjs

ncefafn

Dude, good way to attract customers! :p

betteryeti

Oh, and

Centaur writes,
"The Stylist: 'The High Priestess of Style' Is it just me or does she look like a psycho brandishing a hairdryer?"

She's my partner. She's a Ph.D candidate in English Lit at an Ivy. And your hostility toward women is showing.

And I flew in the hairdryer with photoshop.

And you should be more careful with your words.

www.thomasscoville.com