The Metro-Sexual Tarot VS The Gay Tarot...

lunakasha

Centaur said:
...with card names such as Abs, Manicurist, The Designer, The Salon and Cocktails. As a gay man, I have to say that I was very put-off by these card-names, and the images on them. In my opinion, there is no depth to them. In order for a tarot-deck to appeal to me, I have to feel some deep connection with it. This deck appears to be very shallow. Hell, there are even two cards named FABULOUS and PRESCRIPTIONS!!!!
I believe that the Metrosexual Tarot is intended to be a humorous take on these "dandy", straight gentleman who are more interested in fashion and facials than world politics...the point being that they are, by definition, pretty shallow...

:) Luna

Cocobird55

On the Metrosexual website, the following says it all:

“'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' collides with The Occult.”

I don't like the TV show, because in general I don't like trendy, shallow, superficial values... Still, today there is a market and/or audience for just about anything.

Sue

baba-prague

Yes, I was really very pleasantly surprised by the PoMo. I like it a lot.

This deck, however, seems to be done by the person who did the SIlicon Valley tarot, and I have to say that I thought that it wasn't all that humorous either - I've never bothered to try to find a copy, though I suppose it's interesting in a vaguely historical way.

I've always heard the term "metrosexual" applied to straight men. The BBC did a spoof programme a while back on "making over" a scruffy man into a classic metrosexual. Apparently you can buy a holiday in which you fly to New York to be made over in this way. Sounds fun - but not many men I know would be that keen ;-)

This deck could be very witty if it was done well - but have to say I thought it wasn't all that funny really. Bit too obvious.

_______

edited to add. Sorry if this opinion seems "humorless". I just honestly don't personally find the deck that funny. Maybe it's a cultural thing - I have some Russian friends who find "The Office" totally unfunny, but to me it's the best comedy in years. As someone who used to work in the Telco industry I also didn't respond particularly to the Silicon Valley tarot. I didn't dislike it - certainly didn't disapprove of it (the idea!) but personally it didn't make me laugh.

But if it works for others that's great. I don't think any piece of satire works for everyone. Particularly not cross-culturally. So please don't be offended by my own personal opinion. Nice deck for many people - but not for me :)

Shade

Cocobird55 said:
“'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' collides with The Occult.”

I don't like the TV show, because in general I don't like trendy, shallow, superficial values... Still, today there is a market and/or audience for just about anything.

Sue

Superficial values eh? I don't think it's superficial to strive for inner and outer beauty.

crystal cove

Shade said:
Superficial values eh? I don't think it's superficial to strive for inner and outer beauty.

I don't either. However, I do question what a group of guys' sexual orientation has to do with their "expertise" in that area.

Shade

twenty~one said:
I don't either. However, I do question what a group of guys' sexual orientation has to do with their "expertise" in that area.

It's one of the super powers you get once you sign up. You get to choose 3 from a list of: interior design, softball, dancing, auto repair, x-ray vision, wit, and quiche making.

AmounrA

sorry can't resist-
One of my friends had the gay tarot, but had to return it as all the cards where bent.

To be slightly serious for a moment, what type of tarot will we have next 'the tarot of people who like red but not blue?' In some ways, is this is death by a thousand cuts?

But, whatever makes people happy, without hurting others, I guess has a valid place in the universe :)

Shade

Did your friend have the gay tarot or the gay male tarot? I would think it would have to be the gay male tarot as Lee's gay tarot isn't out yet. Unless there are more out there.

As to the validity of the deck if mermaids can have their own deck then gay folks can too.... gay mermaids will just have to wait though.

Lee

Shade said:
It's one of the super powers you get once you sign up. You get to choose 3 from a list of: interior design, softball, dancing, auto repair, x-ray vision, wit, and quiche making.
Somehow I managed to miss out on all of these.... :(

Shade said:
Did your friend have the gay tarot or the gay male tarot? I would think it would have to be the gay male tarot as Lee's gay tarot isn't out yet.
I think AmounrA was making a joke...

AmounrA said:
To be slightly serious for a moment, what type of tarot will we have next 'the tarot of people who like red but not blue?' In some ways, is this is death by a thousand cuts?
One type we might have next is yet another version of the Thoth. Sorry, couldn't resist! })

-- Lee :)

Shade

Oh...Bent..... I get it.... oh how did I miss that, I'm sorry AmounrA, I was captain of the dense team in high school.