Elemental Dignities (beginner)

csdude

The concept of Elementals was recently mentioned to me, and I've been trying to learn more about the concept. I'm mainly using this as a guide:

http://tarotelements.com/2009/11/12...ngs-using-the-elemental-dignities-dictionary/

Sunday, I did a reading regarding the upcoming week:

What will be the romantic outcome for this upcoming week between [my recent love interest] and I?

* Jumpers (none)

* Spread
High Priestess
3 of Hearts (celebration)
10 of Swords (ruin)

* Shadow
Queen of Swords (lots of info, solitude is necessary)

FWIW, I've been feeling a little bit ignored by her lately. We've only been talking for a few months, and she acts like she really likes me, but for the last week we've only spoken a few times. She claims that she has a bad phone signal and it's not telling her when she gets a text or FB message... maybe BS, maybe not.

Traditionally, this would have been very confusing. I never quite know how to interpret the High Priestess in to a reading, anyway, and since I don't use reversals then the 3 of Hearts and 10 of Swords together would really throw me off.

But using Elemental Dignities, I understand that the focus card here is the 3 of Hearts (water), strengthened by the High Priestess (water), and that the 10 of Swords (air) is weakened. Which I would take to mean that, if I relax and chill out then we'll have a great romantic week, but if I don't then it will lead to ruin.

Do you guys think that I'm reading this correctly?

rwcarter

Hi csdude, do you know about the Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread over in Using Tarot Cards?

What will be the romantic outcome for this upcoming week between [my recent love interest] and I?

* Jumpers (none)

* Spread
High Priestess
3 of Hearts (celebration)
10 of Swords (ruin)

* Shadow
Queen of Swords (lots of info, solitude is necessary)

Traditionally, this would have been very confusing. I never quite know how to interpret the High Priestess in to a reading, anyway, and since I don't use reversals then the 3 of Hearts and 10 of Swords together would really throw me off.

But using Elemental Dignities, I understand that the focus card here is the 3 of Hearts (water), strengthened by the High Priestess (water), and that the 10 of Swords (air) is weakened. Which I would take to mean that, if I relax and chill out then we'll have a great romantic week, but if I don't then it will lead to ruin.
If you're using the Thoth, then my interpretations may not help you, but hopefully you can follow my process.

Your triad is WWA. Water is friendly to itself and is neutral to Air. By traditional EDs, neutral interactions automatically convert to friendly interactions. I leave them as neutral though as I feel that having 2 friendly and 1 unfriendly interaction for each element is unbalanced. I let the specific cards tell me whether their interaction stays neutral, turns friendly or becomes unfriendly.

"(R)omantic outcome" is tricky as that could be talking about the love between two people, gestures of love between two people or it could be a euphemism for sex. You know what you meant by that, but I don't.

3C suggests having a good time. HP can suggest either listening to your own intuition about what's best or it can also indicate love without sex as the HP is often considered to be virginal. As the HP strengthens the 3C, you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you use your intuition (HP). OR you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you focus on love and not sex (HP).

As a card that strengthens the 3P, the 10S could indicate the need to let go of negative thoughts. So you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you use your intuition (HP) and release the negative thoughts you have about the relationship (10S). OR you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you focus on the love (HP) and let go of everything else (10S).

I don't really see the 10S being neutral to the 3C in this case.

As a card that weakens the 3P, the 10S could represent her unhappiness with you, her being emotionally cut off from you or even a "death in the family" that takes one of you away for the week. So the joy/happiness of the relationship (3C) is hampered by her unhappiness with you (10S) requiring you to focus on the love aspect of the relationship (HP). OR The happiness of the relationship (3C) is diminished by a death or accident that keeps you two apart (10S), leaving you to focus on the emotional aspect of the relationship instead of the sexual (HP).

Rodney

csdude

Hi csdude, do you know about the Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread over in Using Tarot Cards?

I did not! Thank you for the link. I looked under the "Study Groups" section of the forum list and didn't see anything; I didn't think to look inside of the group, though.

If you're using the Thoth, then my interpretations may not help you, but hopefully you can follow my process.

I'm not, and this is very helpful :)[/quote]

Your triad is WWA. Water is friendly to itself and is neutral to Air. By traditional EDs, neutral interactions automatically convert to friendly interactions. I leave them as neutral though as I feel that having 2 friendly and 1 unfriendly interaction for each element is unbalanced. I let the specific cards tell me whether their interaction stays neutral, turns friendly or becomes unfriendly.

"(R)omantic outcome" is tricky as that could be talking about the love between two people, gestures of love between two people or it could be a euphemism for sex. You know what you meant by that, but I don't.

I definitely didn't mean "sexual", she and I aren't there yet. I was referring more to gestures of love; talking a lot, flirting, expressions of love or expressions of wanting to be together, etc.

3C suggests having a good time. HP can suggest either listening to your own intuition about what's best or it can also indicate love without sex as the HP is often considered to be virginal. As the HP strengthens the 3C, you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you use your intuition (HP). OR you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you focus on love and not sex (HP).

As a card that strengthens the 3P, the 10S could indicate the need to let go of negative thoughts. So you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you use your intuition (HP) and release the negative thoughts you have about the relationship (10S). OR you two could have a great time this week (3C) as long as you focus on the love (HP) and let go of everything else (10S).

This seems to be dead-on accurate. This last week was almost entirely negative:

** THIS CAN PROBABLY BE IGNORED IF YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED **
Monday. I went to see her on Monday, which was great. She was happy to see me, and asked what other days I could come. She got off early on Thursday, so we made plans for me to come pick her up so that we could hang out a little. But then she didn't talk to me that night or most of the next day, saying that her phone wasn't showing her the messages (although she was posting on her FB page regularly with another [male] friend in another country, but very flirty).

Tuesday. Tuesday night, I invited her to come see me on Wednesday when she got off work. She said "maybe :)".

Wednesday. I sent her a text about 5 minutes before she got off work and asked her to let me know when to expect her, but she never replied. That night, I sent her another message to ask if I should still pick her up on Thursday, but again, no reply.

Thursday. So, Thursday I go to her work to pick her up, and she seems to have forgotten that we had plans. Now, she's working until 3 (she picks her kid up after school, so working until 3 means that we can't hang out). She was still smiling and happy to see me, though, so I gave her a small gift that I had bought for her, then left.

I must have been clearly disappointed, though, because right at 3, she sent me 3 texts in a row:

I feel bad
We need to talk
Let me get home ok

I wrote back and said, "OK". No reply after that.

Friday. I sent her a short message that night, just a simple "how was your day", but she didn't reply.

Saturday. She sent me a text at 6:45am that said "Good morning :)"

I replied, but didn't hear from her again all day, although she was still posting on her wall with another friend (the guy from another country), being very flirty, saying that they love one another, etc.

I sent her a message that night around 11:30pm, telling her that I was going to back off a little; that I still wanted to be friends, but I'm not putting my heart out there for a woman that loves another man.

She actually replied to that message, and wanted me to call her the next day so we could talk. I said that I would send her a text at around 6pm to make sure she could talk, and she said OK. We talked a little more (friendly), but only for a few minutes.

Sunday: At 6pm, I sent her a text, sent her a message on FB, and posted on her wall to tell her that I'd sent her a text and a message. She didn't reply at all, but did post some pics on her FB page so I know that she saw the message I had posted there. And FB showed that the message I sent was read at 8:48pm, but she still didn't reply.

Monday (today): Still no reply from her, but she seems to have disabled her FB page. She does that a lot, for some reason, usually when she gets sad or depressed. But she hasn't texted me, either.

As you can see, the whole week last week was negative. But the week before that was positive, and the week before that even more so, so I've been at a loss on how to handle things. I can't tell if she lost interest overnight, or if she's playing games with me, or if I'm overreacting, or what.

But this interpretation tells me that maybe I'm overreacting, and if I chill out then we can have a great week together.

I don't really see the 10S being neutral to the 3C in this case.

As a card that weakens the 3P, the 10S could represent her unhappiness with you, her being emotionally cut off from you or even a "death in the family" that takes one of you away for the week. So the joy/happiness of the relationship (3C) is hampered by her unhappiness with you (10S) requiring you to focus on the love aspect of the relationship (HP). OR The happiness of the relationship (3C) is diminished by a death or accident that keeps you two apart (10S), leaving you to focus on the emotional aspect of the relationship instead of the sexual (HP).

Just to clarify, was "3P" a typo, and you meant "3C"? Or does the P mean something else?

She could be unhappy with me, since I told her that I can't help being jealous of her saying "I love you" to another man a dozen times a day when she's not talking to me at all, but I think that I'm totally justified in that. Granted, she and I aren't official or anything so she can do whatever she wants, but I think it's perfectly normal for me to be a little hurt by that... and almost cruel of her to do it publicly, where she knows I'll see it.

Could the 10S refer to my unhappiness? Or does the HP as a feminine card mean that it's definitely referring to her?

Her disabling her FB page means that we won't talk much (if at all) until she enables it, so you are definitely correct to say that we're being "cut off" from one another.

Thanks for your insight, Rodney! Very helpful, and like I said, it seems to be dead-on accurate :)

rwcarter

Just to clarify, was "3P" a typo, and you meant "3C"? Or does the P mean something else?
Sorry, yes that was a typo.

Thanks for your insight, Rodney! Very helpful, and like I said, it seems to be dead-on accurate :)
Glad to be of help. Join us over in the EDSG if you like.