The Haindl Tarot - Study Group?

Frequency

The Haindl Tarot

First things first, the famous eye.

I would like to hear your opinions on how to exlpain the symbolism of the eye to those curious about the Haindl tarot. Whenever someone talks about the Haindl people always complain about how much it scares them, intimidates them, or simply upsets them. When I looked at the eye up close for the first time, there was something about it that was very peculiar. However, it never bothered me. I stared at it for a long time looking for something and I saw the tear. It's a strange image to put on the back of a tarot card, but I feel it reflects a very quiet and sombre pain. This mood is reflected throughout the cards. Thus this eye is an important part of what makes the Haindl so special. It's a very passionate deck, and I think maybe the way it warps many of the traditional meanings is not something some people can appreciate.

It's not a particularly uplifting deck sometimes, but it's a very simple looking one. At the heart of this simple imagery at first glance are some very peculiar shapes and very dreamlike imagery. Whenever I think of the artwork I'm reminded of a word: awe. This tarot has many of the best images in the art. It's a strange mix of black humour, stabbing pain, and tender fingers forcing a smile onto your face.

Some famous examples of it's interpretations:

A flying nightmare of a mouse chases after a bunch of scared cats in the 10 of Wands.

The blade in the Ace of Swords thrusting down onto a hill with it's surrounding waters in some major turbulance.

In the Seven of Stones, A massive stone pillar collapses onto a wall, causing massive destuction, as blood seeps from all areas through holes and out of cracks.

In the Five of Swords, a horse's head gazes upwards in despair as four broken swords fall to the abyss with him.

The Emperor stands with such confidence, that he becomes part of the tree behind him, or is he the strong tree itself?

In the Three of Cups, a single drop hovers above a cup that pours water into two others, which then pour into a pool in the interior of a cave. A rock is poised almost like a shark's fin waiting in the depths.

Look at the other images long enough, and I'm sure you'll swear to have seen numerous strange animals, faces, arms, and legs where you didn't before.

In the words of Rachel Pollack...

"These seventy-eight paintings reflect Haindls devotion to nature, his recognition of the feminine, his travels, his encounters with holy teachers and spirits, his respect for all peoples, his political belief in responsibility for the past and future, and the crises that have shaped his understanding. Drawn to the cards by their unique art, many thousands of people have found their lives changed, sometimes quite dramaticaly."

inanna_tarot

SG?

is there a haindl study group? I cant seem to see it on the board.

Sezo
x

Frequency

I didn't see one either which is why I started this thread. The Haindl is the only deck I have seen that wouldn't offend people. All the other decks like the Robin Wood or the Rider-Waite have religious symbolism whether they're pentagrams or religious figures and symbols etc... The goal of Haindl's tarot is respect for all cultures and peoples. The court cards are divided into North, South, East, and West. The Native peoples represent the west, the Egyptian peoples represent the south, the Hindus represent the east, and the Celtic and Nordic legends represent the north.

The ONLY thing I can really nitpick this deck with is the blood. It bothers some people. Other than that, you won't get any complaints. They might find the eye to be distressful but show them the tear and it will calm them down.

Every other deck, espescialy the Thoth, disgusts people I know. I can explain the origin of the swastika forever and it will never matter. I can hope and pray they won't realize the image on the Devil card is a giant penis with semen pouring out of it but once they see it and ask me about it there's nothing I can say that won't stop them from feeling offended. The Osho Zen tarot uses the Buddha as the Ace of Swords. I respect that, but many people I do readings for are not buddhist and it bothers them. Lets not forget the giant vagina on the Past Lives card.

inanna_tarot

Very true Frequency. Theres alot in this deck that people will LOVE if given half a chance.

So, c'mon folks, roll up roll up for a Haindl SG!!

Sezo
x

amyel

hey, this is timely. I just got the Haindl from Gardner before she left Canada to return to the States. I've only just started looking into it, but was struck by the diversity of the mythologies Hermann Haindl used, which attracted me right away. I also got the two Rachel Pollock books which support the deck.

So I'm ready & raring to get into a study group....

inanna_tarot

BUMP

Any takers?

Sezo
x

Imagemaker

I just trimmed mine and like it so much better! To know that Haindl survived a concentration camp explains so much to me about the images he chose.

When I was doing the 78-card study that Major Tom started, I posted on the Haindl. I'd like to get back to it, so am not sure how much time I can commit, but will participate as I can.

Since I trimmed off the words, I can use my Pollack book to find them again. I love the colors on this deck so much, the gray border dimmed them a lot.

inanna_tarot

well i've been doing some study of it lately myself, looking into the rune and i ching aspects of it as well, but its a tough job for one chick! Ive got the book on the majors so i could help out there. The suits are a little weird for me, being completely different to anything i've used before. Its a deck i look at and admire and want to learn (like the thoth! Ah one day!), and it seems approachable enough to do so. That is if you dont get lost in the artwork lol.

Sezo
x

inanna_tarot

Just going through my deck last night and i so love it!
I just went through the cards, one by one, looking at the write up in the LWB and just looking at the cards. They really do speak to me in some strange way. The I-ching, rune and astrology parts as well add meaning, rather than hinder it. There are so many layers this deck could work on.
And the back of the cards, personally i love the eye. I think its just perfect for the feel of the deck, even the slight tear that could be forming.

Fave cards at the moment - the aces are nice and swirly, just saying This is an ace i'm not going to draw anything else coz it speaks for itself lol. Also Art or temperance, with the strong diagonal line, and i think the Devil and the Hanged Man as well.
I like the serpents and especially the one on the Universe - never seen a serpent like that before, and to be honest it did scare me at first lol.

What are you fave cards so far?

Sezo
x

Alta

I ordered a Haindl recently from amazon, and it should be here presently. I would be glad to particpate once my deck arrives.