The Haindl Tarot - Study Group?

Little Baron

I literally had to blow the dust off of this thread!

I had been looking at the Haindl for many years online.

I thought the cards looked deep and dreamy. It was a must for me. Almost.

Those bloody keywords and titles put me off at first. And then the style of the courts seemed so alien to the rest of the deck. So I never ventured any further in my interest.

Recently, I saw both companion books in a sale. They were £3 each. I didn't buy them.

A couple of weeks ago, when I met Helvetica, she asked me if I had ever used the deck and I told her that I had not.

Yesterday, for some reason, while laying on my bed, I thought about the deck.

So, today I am out with my parents. They are looking in a shoe shop. I ended up walking into a tatoo parlour, thinking it was something else. But as I exited the shop, I could see a little mystical shop that I hadn't noticed - and probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't have gone in the shop by mistake [you can see what I am doing here, can't you? trying to make it look like all of these little instances brought me to part with my cash again].

So yes. The shop had The Haindl. It didn't have much else, to be honest. A couple of LoS decks that I wasn't interested in and loads of those Doreen Virtue packs. But the woman there was very kind natured and gave me a free cloth to wrap the deck in.

So now I have it. And I am hoping those two books are still in the sale, which I will try and pick up tomorow.

I have just read through all of the threads in the study group. They really whet my appetite and opened me up to the courts. Once I could see their relevance (even though I am still having trouble with Nut), I could begin to see them as part of the deck, rather than something that stood out like a sore thumb. Still need to deal with the keywords though, as I don't fancy trimming this one - 'uselessness' as a keyword seems a little negative to me.

So, I noticed that others were commenting on the deck of late. Are there going to be any more people here interested in chatting about it.

And for the record, I love the eye - gives the deck a personality.

LB

Edited to add: Holding and fanning it was a very different experience than usual - it was like holding a stream of water or something - or managing to grab steam. It really has a beautiful dreamy quality to it and I felt really calm and peaceful as it passed through my hands. Does that sound stupid?

Gardener

Hey there, LB!

Delighted to see you dusting off this study group! Quite a number of people have been contributing over the months, at odd times. I'd be happy to post a few more courts sometime over the next week, as there seems to be a few other people excited about the deck as well. I love the artwork, love the companion books (and yes, love the eye) but I can't read with it for beans. Possibly because it's Thoth-influenced? I don't know. Or maybe the unpeopled pips. Did you know someone coined a term "moody pips" for the Haindl because they're not exactly scenic and not exactly unscenic. (Moody might first have been used for the Thoth, but it certainly fits the Haindl as well.)

I guess that makes it a "Study deck" for me. So maybe I'll add some more cards to the study.

And please feel free to start any cards that catch your fancy - I'll add them to the table of contents...

Little Baron

Hi Gardener.

It's quite odd that I got the deck, to be honest. I was using my Druidcraft and skipping along through the fields and past the lakes quite happily. But I was just spouting out the same old - the '5 of Wands might be a little healthy competition', and even though it was nice to feel confident in what I knew, I felt I was lacking something. Another couple of layers, possibly. A challenge. An opening up to my own ideas.

I always loved the Rohrig ( ;) ) because of it's depth; it's scarily dark suit of disks - how those cards still haunt me, but get me shivering in an excited and passionate way also. But I couldn't tolerate the scantily-clad ladies, the random breasts and penis', the awful racing car. In my mind, the Haindl always felt like the distant brother of the Rohrig - the one that kept his pants on. So I suppose, when I think of it, it is not really that surprising that it finds me - or that I find it.

And just looking at a few cards I have pulled for tomorrow, I am getting ideas. Not particularly sophisticated ones, but ideas, all the same.

I will make some threads. And I hope others join in. All of what has already been written here has been very enlightening. I hope I can get hold of the books tomorrow in their cheaper price. Not sure if the sale is still on or if anyone has bought them.

But generally, I like the deck a lot. For my annoyance at the keywords and still a little irritation by the stark contrast of courts, I do love the coloured bands on each suit. I adore the 'High Priestess', the Hanged Man, The Emperor. How serene are some of these cards. Actually, that's a great word for this deck. Only ones I am not too keen on are The Devil or The World. Hate that green beastie.

LB

Gardener

The green beastie reminds me of that old movie The Neverending Story, so he seems rather charming to me...

Gardener

PS Totally agree with you about the Rohrig, love the incandescent artwork, love the "feel" but cringe when I encounter the disembodied naughty bits. Just not a deck I'd feel comfortable using to read for a stranger. One of the few decks where I've considered strategic placement of stickers...

connegrl

I'm excited to see this group getting some action. The Haindl is going to be coming to me in a trade. Its a dutch version, so I won't be so annoyed by the key words. If I can't understand what I read, I ignore it. The two books are also coming my way. I'm very excited. I actually find that I like the freedom of pips that don't have people in them. Except for the darn Thoth, but that is about something else freezing up.

Looking forward to seeing posts here about the Haindl. Don't know what I might have to offer to start.

Jen

robinchun

Haindl study

I too am glad of the revived interest in this deck...it was my first so I'm somewhat attached to it though do find it difficult to use,so much symbology I feel 'bogged' down by it all..for instance 4 cups,title 'mixed happiness' and from Pollack's book Haindl's meaning 'take the cups and do something with them..' from the image I do'nt get that at all (btw as an aside the I-ching is 3 Chun which is my surname..now explain that to me?)
Robin

Little Baron

connegrl said:
Looking forward to seeing posts here about the Haindl. Don't know what I might have to offer to start.

Jen

Me either. But we shall see ;)

I am really hoping to get the books today. They were in an old cardboard box in a local bookshop but it was a while ago so the chances are slim. Gonna go for a walk in an hour and see. Keep your fingers crossed because they were sooo cheap.

Yes, Gardener. The Rohrig was ruined for me on that level. It was those two women in 'interferance' that did it for me. They are just horrid. Such 198os fantasy print tackiness.

LB

Little Baron

Just to add, I read somewhere that someone had a typo on one of their cards - Succes. Mine is the same. I also noticed that on the '3 of Stones', unlike all the other cards, there is no capital letter on 'Three'. Tut,tut. Sloppy 'work'.

LB

Little Baron

LittleBuddha said:
Keep your fingers crossed because they were sooo cheap.

You can uncross them now.

I got them! They were both £11.99 each, but I got them for £3.99 each, so quite a bargain. Something to sit in the garden and read. Looking forward to it. This deck is exciting me.

LB