The De-Enabling Thread

Jewel

sapienza said:
I'm sorry, I really wasn't that clear. I was talking about the Golden by Kat Black.
AHHHHH thanks for the clarification. In that case I cannot help de-enable you against the Victorian Romantic. I just can't! *LOL*

Evelone I'll PM you later about the differences between the VR & Golden VR, this thread would not be the right place for me to do it. You might also look up the VR threads as there has been discussion about this.

Sapienza, after posting this I read where you made your choice and ordered your new treasure. Congratulations! Hope you really really enjoy it. Narrowing it down from 6 to 1 is a difficult task! :D

gregory

Jewel said:
AHHHHH thanks for the clarification. In that case I cannot help de-enable you against the Victorian Romantic. I just can't! *LOL*
I can. I think it is a lovely deck to look at - but it feels too much to me like someone else's pictures forced into tarot, if you see what I mean.

Annabelle

I tried and tried and tried to like the Victorian Romantic . . . but eventually found it disappointing. Of all the Magic Realist decks, I find this one to be the most inconsistent and difficult to use. There are too many images that I find a bit jarring - the Fool card just about ruins the whole deck for me, for example.

Of the golden and regular editions of the VR, I prefer the regular - the gold seems to obscure details rather than enhance them, in my opinion. I have a copy of both . . . but I use neither, to be honest.

Save your money. Or put it towards a different Magic Realist deck . . .

Little Hare

Can someone please de-enable me on Kris Waldherrs goddess tarot? i have no idea why i want it, but i keep thinking about it?!

jackdaw*

It's another one of those pretty decks whose majors are well thought out and whose minors are not. Each suit follows its own story so the ties between suits are pretty tenuous. Instead of one cohesive deck you have one set of majors and four individual little culturally themed decks.

Nina*

jackdaw* said:
It's another one of those pretty decks whose majors are well thought out and whose minors are not. Each suit follows its own story so the ties between suits are pretty tenuous. Instead of one cohesive deck you have one set of majors and four individual little culturally themed decks.
Okay... I get it. Thanks, Sweetie. :* :D

magpie9

That Goddess Tarot was such a disappointment. for one thing, she couldn't draw men--they looked like flat chested women with beards. She has a lot of talent as an artist, but in this deck it's uneven. In her 2nd deck (the Lover's Path) she has matured artistically, and it's really worth looking at!
But back to the Goddess deck. I didn't really get why she chose the Goddesses for the cards she gave them, much of the time. Mostly it seemed pretty arbritary. For example, years later & I still can't figure out why she put Guenivere in for Justice. The book is a "look pretty" book with not much more in it that the LWB gave. The minors do have 4 different stories going, which I personally have no quarrel with, but again, the men are pitiful.
At this point there are a bunch of goddess decks and oracles out there--most of them much less flawed than this one.

sapienza

gregory said:
I can. I think it is a lovely deck to look at - but it feels too much to me like someone else's pictures forced into tarot, if you see what I mean.

Thanks, so glad you added that gregory. This is the main reason why I've decided not to get it, because with Kat Blacks Golden I feel the same way. I wanted to like it but it just doesn't seem right - artistically it's lovely but to use as a tarot deck I can't work with it. I'm sure the VR would be the same for me.

Little Baron

I tried on many occasions to work with the VR, but I found it quite stale, if that makes sense. I appreciate the artistry on some cards, but generally, many feel unconnected with each other. For me, it feels very surfacy and personality-less. Some decks really draw you in, but in my experience, this is not one of them. I agree with posters about other MR decks though. Out of the bundle, I think that the Menagerie is the one I would stick with overall. Unfortunately, looking at the work in progress of the Gothic, I think I would find connection with that as difficult as with the VR, so that fell off of my tarot-dar quite soon after seeing it [will properly judge it when I have seen more of the cards, but for now, I am not so intregued].

Magic Realist are a great publishing company with great service [I'd rate them above all others], and they have contributed heavily to the tarot community.The Cats were superb and the Prague was meaty, but I just think that the VR is the weakest of their titles.

LB