Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA Study Group - Queen of Pentacles

Moonbow

I think this is my favourite card in the deck. When I meditate, I sometime go to 'my' place and it's very similar to where this Queen sits, perhaps that's why I connect to it.

She sits in a small opening in a forest and is surrounded by tall trees with ivy trailing from them. There are ferns and evergreen shrubs around her, and behind her is a river which runs to the edge of a very deep ravine, it then cascades over the edge to a pool below depicting that she is Water of Earth.

Without going into all the symbols in the card, there are of course loads, it's the colours used, the way she sits and the way her clothes are draped, together with her expression and that she looks to the past (as if looking back in time) and her elegance, that catches me. She is the most poised and feminine of the Queens.

rainwolf

Here is what it looks like in the attachment. I'll post some commentary later, but in the meantime, here is the list of the symbols:

The elephant
The vines with heart shaped leaves
Two small monkeys
Egg of black clay
Pattern upon outer robe

The title of this card is persuasion.

PS--sorry its such a bad picture, i took it with my camera as my scanner is not cooperating at the moment *throws foot down on scanner*

Attachments

• queenofpents.jpg
    queenofpents.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 338

Moonbow

Well no wonder it's not working... keep your feet away from it! :)

I can scan the cards if you like, just let me know.

... she is the Capricorn Queen too, this could be another reason why I relate to her.

Does she look sad to you? I see worry in her eyes but lets not forget that she is also the Queen of understanding and sympathy.

rainwolf

Here is the symbolism defined:​
"The elephant is a symbol of wisdom and eternity, and is the steady bearer of kings and queens."

"Vines with heart-shaped leaves hand down from the trees, reminding us of he primitive belief that the mother goddess was known as hte 'goddess of the vines,' vines being an unfailing source of creative bounty--grapes and other fruit."

"Two small monkeys remind us of our origins in the primal state, but also credited with the power of granting good heath, success, and protection."

"Egg of black clay [is the] emblem of immortality."

"Clay symbolizes the receptive principle unified wiht the power of transition and transformation, and by its plasticityforms the medum for the emergence of matter in all shapes and forms."

"Pattern upon her outer robe is that of three volcanic isles rising from the depths of water and conceals also the head of the goat of Capricorn that is associated with the card."

*Quotations by Julia Turk*

Rusty Neon

rainwolf,

I don't have the deck, the LWB or the companion book. Are the symbolism definitions Julia Turk's?

Thanks.

rainwolf

I've been surrounded by earth signs my whole life so i have been brought down to earth from my sagittarian nature i believe. I can totally relate to the queen because when i am in deep thinking as the queen appears to be, my mind relaxes just as the queen does and she draws energy from her material objects (I'm not saying virgos are materialistic, but I think their material objects are very meaningful to them physically and mentally). The thicket reminds me of how this queen for the most part enjoys cozy surroundings and familiar beings. Although cozy, the trees are more complex when they get higher. I believe that this represents two things:
1- The queens exterior looks complicated, but in truth she is simple to understand on the inside since it is clear.
2- As you study her, and go to her 'roots', she goes from complex branches, to simple trunks and meet the ground where she is grounded, thus representing that once you find her base, she is simple and easy to understand in her motives.
Both identify with "as above so below" because the two ideas assert that she moves from complicated to simple as you move top to bottom, outside to inside.
She sits on a black throne which almost looks like a hole in the picture (which i thought it was before i bought the deck). This seemingly black hole symbolizes the unknown and limitlessness. Her being seated in the front of it makes her either the guardian or the provoker (who draws people in) which gives her control.
Virgos always win the argument too ;)

rainwolf

Rusty Neon said:
rainwolf,

I don't have the deck, the LWB or the companion book. Are the symbolism definitions Julia Turk's?

Thanks.

Yes they are--i edited my last post, sorry for the temporary plagarism.

Moonbow

I also think that the heart shaped vines are representative of her personality. She is an understanding and caring queen and gentle.

Although delicate and wispy, to me the vines belie a feminine strength. See how they slowly entwine around the trees (masculine strength), working their way through the branches to the very tips? The keyword of Persuasion is perhaps apt. :)

Formicida

Yes, Moonbow*, I definitely see sadness or worry in her face. There's something else, too, that I can't quite define. It seems almost like a look of betrayed innocence. She does look very young to me.

I'd say she looks like her mind isn't where her body is. She's in this beautiful place, surrounded by trees and ferns, but she's staring off into the distance wondering...what? It seems almost as though she's been struck hard, emotionally speaking, and has retreated into this quiet and safe surrounding to get her balance back. In a tumultuous world, is she really queen of more than this, her "safe space"?

But then, I have a hard time relating to the Earth archetypes, and probably see them more negatively than others might.

Moonbow

Hi Formicida, I like what you said about her being struck hard and retreating to her safe space.

The Queens relate to Binah on the Tree of Life which represents Understanding and Intelligence. She looks exactly like this and perhaps these qualities are what she is thinking about while 'retreating to her safe space.'

I've just been looking at the Queen of Cups who, to me, doesn't have the same dreaminess about her as this queen does. In most decks I usually see the Queen of Pentacles as materialistic at times, I don't get that with this card though.

Here is a little of Julia Turk's poem from the large book of the deck. I think it's worth repeating here:

Approach her cautiously and with reserve.
Humbly, find nature holds the key to joy.
Restore your trust in her, and then you'll know
your true will cannot ever be destroyed.
Stay open, incubate the nascent source
of your own traits, which subtly undulate
in tune with others who are near at hand,
and therein lies stability and weight.

Julia Turk.