whats your opinion

lukedra

My first deck of cards i learnt with, origionally belong to some who past away. I was wondering about this commint someone once said to me about that persons energy still beeing in the deck. I was wanting to hear everyones else opions on this as tarot cards are supposed to be a tool and the energy comes from within us.

Imagemaker

Hi, Lukedra! Welcome!

There are different opinions about people leaving their energy in a deck. Here's one thread about people touching a deck, shuffling it, and some opinions.

energy

Notice how YOU feel when you handle the deck--just fine or nervous or positive or negative . . . what do you know about the person who owned the deck?

Kittaine

Each one of us has our own beliefs about this. Personally, I believe that it's okay if the deceased person's energy is still with the decks as long as the energy is not malevolent or detrimental :)

Zephyros

I think, that just as people take everything that they have gone through in life, and learn from it, a Tarot deck goes through the same process. Perhaps a deck absorbs the energy that its other users have invested in it. But then, you may not want that... Then again, as a collection of pieces of paper, it is doubtful whether the absorb anything, since the "power" does indeed come from the reader.

Sorry for showing both sides of the question, but as I typed I thought of it...

Rosanne

Hi Lukedra- How wonderful to receive a deck with a History. Did you know anything about the previous owner? If you do, I would write it out and give your deck a 'provenance'. Then one day you could hand it on with your Tarot history attached as well. That would have been wonderful to have from the Historical context, with many of the found decks.
Do I believe that the last person's energy resides within the cards?- No I do not. You bring your energy to the readings from that deck- which may include your memories of the past owner. I have a family Bible handed down to me it holds a long History of owners ( and some margin notes) but no energy -it is a book- and some would say that it is a spiritual tool as well.~Rosanne

Moonchild1721

I like decks with a history. I think that maybe any energy remaining with the deck regarding the former owner may be related to how you feel about owning a deck formerly possessed by someone who is now deceased. Did you know the person? In that case maybe the energy remaining with the deck is coming from your memories of him or her. If you did know the person, maybe you could sit with the deck, and recall good memories of the person. That could improve your connection with it.
Samantha

Reed

Welcome to AT, Lukedra! You're going to learn a lot from the forums here.

I'm one who would shop thrift stores and antique shops. Because I don't know who previously owned the item, I am in the habit of asking God's blessings and the presence of the Holy Spirit in the item before I bring it into my house.

I understand that people smudge their cards, pendulums, etc., but prayer always has worked for me, so I ask God's blessings on these items as well :)

That's my long-winded way of saying that I feel it's possible to leave your energy on things. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of others' energy on your cards, then by all means, do what you need to do to remove that energy.

My father died last year, and I have his bible. I want to keep his energy--I guess I've said enough...

lukedra

The deck belong to my step familys mother. Like the mother of my step brother and my step dads first wife. She was a very kind lady who treated me well while she was alive and everyone admired her strength as she batteled cancer. She was only learning the tarot when she died. I personal Belive the cards are a tool and it is up to the tarot reader to connect to the deck to use it and to connect to the person there reading for. But if the energy of my step brothers mother was in the cards I wouldn't wanna do anything to remove that energy.

light2000

Hi Lukedra!!

I think that this woman left the cards for you.

Is ok you using that, in fact they was for you at the first place.

Maybe is a gift your step mother gave you a gift accept it.

Don you think weird she onlystarted at tarot when she was dieing?

Coincidences doent happen. I found my first deck at a bus station, so a person bought it thinking on using it, but she didnt, I did.

So someone wanted me to read tarot and it was the way she made it.

Your step mother next to the death turned more clouse to spiritual life, so she bought a deck. She died but now you have it, is her heritrance.

If you feel bad shufling it so buy another one, but if you dont it´s yours.

I belive at this, she bought it for you, even if she did that whith out waiting that.

For my experience, i think you will be a great reader.

By the way, what deck she left for you?

Psychebleu

I say you can take it or leave it

If you felt warmly toward her, and appreciate having 'her' around then it will only add to your ease with the deck. View it as you will.

I really only think about energy if it is negative or chaotic - and I don't know how much impact or staying power I feel positive energy has. For instance I don't have the questioner draw their own cards - I don't think it makes a difference. Unless they have some major chaos going on - then I don't want them touching MY cards. Funny how my mind works...