Hurricane Katrina reading

PlatinumDove

Okay guys, I live in New Orleans (or right outside it). So, last night, I decided to do a reading on whether Katrina would hit us or not.

What is out in the open: The Hanged Man
What is hidden: The Moon
What should be held on to:The High Priestess
What should be let go of: The Lovers

Now, the first thing that struck me was that it was ALL majors. I had shuffled the deck really well. So, this is going to be a huge hurricane, with a huge impact on people's lives.

Second thing I looked at was the elemental correspondences of the cards:

The Hanged Man: Water
The Moon: Water
The High Priestess: water
The Lovers: air

Wow, the two elements of a hurricane. Perhaps as well we will get alot of water, but very little air....maybe it will hit to the west of us in western Louisiana or Texas? Although that track is very unlikely at this moment.

How I read the cards didn't really give me any new news:

What is known: The Hanged Man: things were at a standstill as to where she is actually going, or perhaps its an indication of how slowly she's moving (only at 8 mph right now).
What is unknown: The Moon: The path is unknown, she isn't quite doing what they expected, she's a very devious little storm right now.
What should be held onto: The High Priestess: THPs is very calm, perhaps we should hold onto that calm, and wait to see where she goes before making any decisions.
What should be let go of: The Lovers: perhaps making any hasty decisions?

Ideas?

floracove

What an interesting subject to do a reading on. (it never occured to me to do a reading conserning the weather.) Very interesting.

I think it is because the majors make an encore appearance in the majority of my own readings. So, in a way they are so very familure, and not out of the way at all, like old buddies, or familures.

Ooops, just reminded here at home, of being on a schedule for this day.
i'll be back to add more.
Sorry to cut this so short.

But, the cards you have placed here are calming one's to me.

gollog

edited by gollog

WalesWoman

OH Dear... hope you aren't waiting to go to higher ground.

My thoughts when I first read this was Hanged Man... there is no way around it... smack dab stuck on the path, that calm could be the eye of the hurricane

Moon- listen to your intuition, don't delude yourself, it's going to howl

HP- hidden knowledge... like weather reports, satellite photos... infared images... can see deep into what is hidden (like storm clouds)... also again follow your intuition... also mysterious... like the mysterious ways these hurricanes have of doing and going where they darn please. Go Within... I'd say go further in land

Lovers... let go of the dream that it will be hunky dory, that it's fun, exciting and loverly, make a hard choice and a wise one, take precautions

I think the Hurricane will hit La and New Orleans. Of course... as soon as I finished looking at this spread and made my conclusions I beat a quick look at the National Weather Service, thinking I'd like to look at satelite photos and read the latest forecast... if you aren't already on your way deeper into the country... I hope you get started before it hits. It is misses, hallelujah, feel foolish but safe.

Alta

What is out in the open: The Hanged Man
What is hidden: The Moon
What should be held on to:The High Priestess
What should be let go of: The Lovers

Now, the first thing that struck me was that it was ALL majors. I had shuffled the deck really well. So, this is going to be a huge hurricane, with a huge impact on people's lives.

Second thing I looked at was the elemental correspondences of the cards:

The Hanged Man: Water
The Moon: Water
The High Priestess: water
The Lovers: air

Most deaths from hurricanes are because of water not wind, generally by drowning. This can be from coastal storm surges, or from local flooding especially folks trapped in cars.

To me the Hanged Man means that although the people can move, the cities and infrastructure cannot. They have to stay and take beating.

Also, during storms a full 20% of the population will disobey even a direct order from authorities and remain in their homes. Many died this way over the years. More Hanged Man material.

What is hidden, The Moon. The effects of coastal flooding are massively affected by the phase of the tide. If the tide is out flooding is much less. In fact, the worst flooding is only around 45 minutes or so each side of the high tide. In addition there are higher and less high tides, they go in cycles. Timing is critical, and depends on the Moon.

The High Priestess: as what should be held onto. (??) I assume you mean by an individual? What matters most to them, what would make them ill to lose. Only the very critical things should be taken. I think it means travel light.

The Lovers (the air and hence the only card of communication): Things will come suddenly so all authorities must be watchful and re-double their efforts. They must see that their own families are safe so that they can focus their attentions on the many crisis poinst that will occur. Once the storm starts, only direct indiviual actions are possible.

MeeWah

Do not care for the cards being all Majors. As if this will be a storm with major impacts in general.

Also, all that water associated with the majority of the Majors indicates flooding the worse threat. Results of flooding oft death by drowning due to flash flooding catching pedestrian & motorists unaware; also electricution by downed power lines those lines still live.

What is out in the open: The Hanged Man: Strikes as being too exposed; no available/immediate protection. Like sitting ducks as if staying indoors alone wilt not afford adequate shelter.

Also strikes as referring to higher ground--so please head for higher ground!! If this doth not pan out, no shame in it.

What is hidden: The Moon: Appearances can be deceiving.

As technologically superior as the scientific means may be, weather conditions only as good as the moment, the equipment & interpretation.

Hence, subject to variables especially the unknown (as is my take); but given the presence of the particular card energies, better to be safe than sorry.

What should be held on to:The High Priestess: Listen within & be guided accordingly.

Since ye thought to post your throw, please heed & consider.

What should be let go of: The Lovers: Forget about weathering the storm. This may well be quite a serious situation.

Even if only the outer edges hit, the effects capable of wide-spread destruction.

PlatinumDove

Right now, I think we're going to stay here, instead of going west to my uncle's house, only because the hospital near his house will be completely closed (its a tiny hospital), and the hospital I work at is only 10 minutes away and will definitely be open, so, in case there is any health emergency, with the baby, or me, or Brian, then we'll only be 4 miles away from it.

ArcanoMáximo

I guess that is the better you can do, Platinum, cause that's for me just what The Lovers card in that positions is saying: refuse to choice another road,The Lovers always implicate have to choice between several options, and one that refers to feelings, i mean: relatives, for example. So, don't go to your uncle's house.
So " let go" the another option.

The High Priestess is saying just that too: "held on" calm were you are just now, don't do nothing. Keep inside. Have you basement ? The HP relates to that which is "under"...

And she says that cause the Hanged Man advice about the situation:you CAN'T do nothing.Or even when the situation isn't good, yours is not the worst.

But even so you have nothing to worry about, The Moon is the card that is reveling that there is a great hidden capacity to confront the situation with success. Even when may be refering to the confusion and panic i also guess refers to the authorities power to solve the problem. It seems they are really ready.

The Moon says that in a very hard and confused period the primitive force is discovery to change the over come and "walk on the water" as the cryfish-lobster in the card.

I know very well what are you feeling after see what happen in my own country this last days with what a giant whirl made for the first time in all its history.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=45567&page=3&pp=10

AM*

PlatinumDove

A basement would be a good idea, however, New Orleans sits 3 feet under sea level, so, basements are not possible in New Orleans, neither is most below ground. These are most of the graves that we have in our cemetaries, as seen in one of my family tombs at the historical Lafeyette cemetary in New Orleans.

My family did actually have a "basement" of sorts in our old house, but, even during the dryest weather, it had 3 feet of water in it. I never even ventured down when it was flooding.

Attachments

• lafayette.jpg
    lafayette.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 76

Sophie

I just heard on the news that Katrina is expected to hit New Orleans full on, hurricane force 4, and that a state of alert had been declared (what does that mean in practice?)

PlatinumDove, I hope you're OK! Mind those floods, they are DANGEROUS. We had quite a few dead and missing in my country this week - and that was without a hurricane - just strong rain and several rivers breaking their banks. Don't take chances. I agree with those tht said flooding appears to be the greatest danger - with all Majors and lots of water.

I don't agree that the Hanged Man means - do nothing. I see him as suspended - but ABOVE the water. I would say this means get up as high as you can and wait there ("suspended") - if that means leaving, then that would be wise. The High Prestess has an inner knowing - so do hold onto that. But make sure this is inner knowing for now, not simply - "we lived through this before, we can live through it again". If you can find a calm place to meditate for a few minutes, she might talk to you.

The Moon is the card that gives me most worry in this situation. It can mean that imagination and intuition from the authorities and from individuals will help. But it can also mean hidden dangers, dangers coming from where you don't expect, panic & hidden instincts coming up with the floods - which can be protective or destructive. You are going to need that HP!

Letting go of the the Lovers - I would say don't just trust your luck and to a happy end no matter what. You will need to make a choice.

I am thinking of you, PlatinumDove, your SO and the baby you carry!