Hurricane Katrina reading

wind

On our tv there were also news about Katrina...I think about you and I wish you well.

take care
wind

MeeWah

((((((PlatinumDove)))))) Understand your dilemma. Your best alternative would be staying at the hospital/workplace.

Having "weathered" hurricanes where I live near water, first-hand experience & the cards dictate my take though I have not seen news reports.

With Hurricane Isabel, we were told to evacuate, but we know the high school designated as shelter for our area is on lower-lying ground (!) than our home, which is up on a wee hill.

A problem as Catti mentioned: falling trees & tree limbs. Due to wind limbs break quickly. Saturated ground cause trees to pull out from their roots & fall over with wind. That happened here during Hurricane Isabel & resulted in astronomical property damage. Even historical huge hundreds of years oaks & weeping willows that withstood other storms went down. A trailer park at the beach famous for its towering oaks literally smashed flat (an older son escaped because he decided to move residence a couple of weeks earlier). A historical landmark restaurant, The Lighthouse, shredded by wind; ditto for marinas & piers. The state literally blacked out in total & disappeared from aerial view.

Although our youngest son removed lower-lying branches from our trees 2 weeks before, afterwards the backyard knee-deep in tree limbs, roof shingles & other debris including a neighbor's privacy fence strewn like match sticks all over our property. He worked for a construction company drafted by FEMA post-hurricane & noted the chaotic conditions hampered help to residents.

Were it not for the assistance of the loving folks at ATF, we would have fared worse. So, as a firm believer in the power of prayer as well as the individual efforts towards the right means, keeping y'all in Light & Goddess' Guidance.

Edited to add: we maintain storm supplies year-round not only due to living in the Hurricane Belt, but also due to other storms.

Knight of Wands

I hope you and your family will stay safe.

My thoughts are with you, KOW

Netzach

We complain about our English weather but something like this makes me realise how lucky we really are.

I pray that you and your family will be safe.

gregory

PlatinumDove and everyone else in the area - get out of it, and fast. Cards are wonderful, but as has been said in a discussion thread all week - they don't tell the future. I'm afraid for once the weather forecast is doing just that. If the cards turn out to have been right, or you realise you could have stayed and you can go all superior on us next week - that will be wonderful - but this is no time to take the risk....

[size=+3]MOVE ![/size]

bladeraven

Watching the news and worrying for you and your family...Hoping and praying that you have left FAST and soon while you still can...Update on the Hurricane...she is going to outdo Hurricane Camille and doesn't look like she is going to get any weaker...Pressure is at 902 and still dropping and winds have upped to 180 mph...

Platinum...Keep us posted when you're able to and if you can read this...please leave...go to the superdome...for the president to declare the area a disaster area before she get there and for him to call and plea for mandatory evactuation...please leave...money can be replaced but other things can't...

Go to the hospital...the Superdome...find out if there are nearby AT members who can take you in...2nd story apt isn't a place to be since if anything happens...you're not going to be able to fight the winds to leave...

My prayers and blessings with you and hoping the best...

Sophie

I think the cards support the weather forecast. Is this a time to take a chance?

bladeraven

gregory said:
PlatinumDove and everyone else in the area - get out of it, and fast. Cards are wonderful, but as has been said in a discussion thread all week - they don't tell the future. I'm afraid for once the weather forecast is doing just that. If the cards turn out to have been right, or you realise you could have stayed and you can go all superior on us next week - that will be wonderful - but this is no time to take the risk....

[size=+3]MOVE ![/size]

Gregory I agree with you...this is one time when we should NOT listen to our tarot cards...the weather forecast..the satellite and the brave men and women who are flying in the hurricane at this moment have more sense than the tarot decks right now...GET OUT, please Platinum...leave leave...there is a reason that of all the time there is a mandatory evacuation..when you have an official going on the news and just openly talking about not possible death but death that will happen...leave leave leave...

Like Gregory says..if we're wrong, if the weather forecast is wrong...then get us kicked off...laugh in our faces..but please, I beg of you..do that later and just leave now...this is not even a time to be on the computer...not having money isn't a reason when the city is providing methods for those who can't leave...

I live along the Gulf Coast, and right now my bags are packed and the gas tank in my car is filled because if this monster moves just a smidgen to the left toward Texas...I'm leaving....she is a MONSTER that is not to be challenge.

Another thing to consider...a hurricane has to have winds at 150 to be Catagory 5....Katrina is stronger than the last 3 hurricanes in recorded history...that tells me that this is a Monster to take seriously...not the cards right now...

There are no catagory 6.....for a reason...

Quoting from a houston news article, source link: http://www.click2weather.com/weather/4887230/detail.html

The last was 1992's Hurricane Andrew, which leveled parts of South Florida, killed 43 people and caused $31 billion in damage. The other two were the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that hit the Florida Keys and killed 600 people and Hurricane Camille, which devastated the Mississippi coast in 1969, killing 256.

News just said that the winds are pushing for 185 now.......

magpie9

Platinin Dove, You Must Move.

I spent several years on Topsail Island, just off the North Carolina coast.It turned into Hurricaine Alley. I went through 5 Hurricaines in four years, one of which I rode out. In a trailer, 100 yards from the water. The storm surge stopped 100 feet from my door. I was lucky. I was also really really tired of hurricaines by the time it was over--and a lot more respectfull. that was Hurricane Bonnie, not a very strong hurricaine, but she stalled over the Wilmington area for 24 hours and drove us all nuts.

I rode it out for the usual dumb reasons. I was tired of evacuating, I diddn't have the money, the last 4 Hurracaines destroyed the places I had lived in, I was way tired of coming back and seeing what was left. And what would I do with the cats?

Having a hospital 3 miles from you, during a hurricaine is just as good as having one 300 miles from you. You won't be able to get to it. Go now and lie. You're having contractions. Or breakthrough bleeding. Or you leaked water. whatever. Lean on them hard enough and they will admit you, and you SO can stay with you. If you're not getting out of town, you need to get safe, and your apartment is not as safe as a hospital, in your condition.

Or just drive inland until it feels about far enough. there are kind people and church basements and all sorts of useful things out there. Just go.

Please go now.

bladeraven

ooof....A representative from Louisiana State university, Ivor Van Heerdan was talking about how New Orleans will be more or less an underwater city and had raised a good point....coffins maybe released....and warning about chemicals that could be released from the plants and airborne diseases and advising everyone to just get out and save the grim casulalties that will not may but will happen.

Platinum...180 mph wind....a pregnant woman will not be able to make it to a hospital 3 miles away..winds...waters, tornadoes...yes you will get tornadoes....you'll be lucky to make it out the front door...this isn't being mean...this is a Monster...with a capital "M"..

Magpie just came up with a great idea....if you can't afford to get out...or get to the superdome NOW...go to the hospital and say that you're having "problems due to the pregnancy"....Now is not the time to be brave....the truly brave have left town one way or another...a city worker who worked on the pumps there left town with his family because he knew the pumps he work on isn't going to protect him...this isn't a good sign...