Tavaglione Stairs of Gold

catlin

Does anyone work with this deck?

Cerulean

Sometimes...simple reading.

Usually, on purpose, I separate the majors, courts, and minors.

Then I do a card from each pile. I like to read the information in the LWB.

I use it as a study deck.

Do you use it at all?

Cerulean

Umbrae

I've just started - will post in a while.

tarotbear

Although I have several Tavaglione decks including Stairs of Gold I don't ever use it. I prefer his Tarot of the Stars myself.

Scion

I'm with Bear on this one. I have a few of Tavaglione's decks, but much prefer his Stelle to his Stairs.

Scion

Umbrae

Just my opinion, but Stars is more astrologically based. Stairs is more Kabalisticaly based (but incorporates astrology).

Stairs has a LWB in English that is needed - in tiny impossible to read font.

Stars is in Italian and is a huge LWB - most likely a ton of good Italian info.

Stairs is Marseilles based (follows Levi - Fool = Shin).

Stars is WCS based (Fool = Shin) but pips are illustrated in a WCS style (four of wands has folks dancing under a sukkhah, four of cups has a fourth cup floating)

Stairs is smaller than Stars. Stars has card labels (plenty, abondance, der Uberfluss, Abundancia - ace of cups)

I think it depends on your focus - if you follow astrology - Tavalione I Tarocchi de Stelle - best learn Italian or bemoan the book.

Hermetic and/or Kabala...

The Tarrocco Tagalioni (Stairs of Gold) is now officially out of print. It was originally published by US Games in 1979. It's a tre's deep deck. (Giorgio Tavaglione has since passed away).

As I said, it is has Continental numbering and Kabalistic lettering as opposed to the English Waite/GD schools.

Each card contains:
  • The corresponding Sanskrit letter to it's tarot number
    The Hebrew alphabet letter
    The Celestial alphabet letter
    The letter of the Vulgar Latin alphabet connecting the Hebrew and Sanskrit letters
    The Zodiological corrospondance w/constellation or planet
    Location on the Lurial Tree of Life
If I were to classify this as a reading deck, or a kabalistic deck, or a hermetic deck or a...

I'd be wrong.

It's all of that...and more. Each card is so deeply filled with symbology, the LWB is essential. It is however as I stated - in impossible to read font of a tiny size.

Sure the pips are unillustrated, however this does not imply they are lacking in zymology, or imagery. Suits are ordered from the Kings down to the Aces rather than upwards, and suits (Levi style) are ordered Wands, Cups, Swords, Pentacles.

The Fool has both the Dog and the Crocodile.

You need a magnifying glass to appreciate the Hermit (check out the staff...).

The 'Stairs of Gold' is a rich, complex deck.

Glad I snagged a copy. I think there are a few out there still...I suggest you follow my lead. A truly great deck.

Cerulean

Now at Tarotgarden; Alidastore.com; Amazon.uk, astroamerica.com & magusbooks.com

...or tarotworld.com, as it's distributed by AG Mueller in Europe...a few weeks ago, I noticed U.S. Games was no longer carrying their reprint.

1. Reprint details:
When U.S. Games reprinted in 2002 or thereabouts, I snagged one and cut the borders. I liked the waxy feel of the matte finish, the bright blue backgrounds, and the plasticized paper booklet. This was a reprint...

Someone said that a movie might have used the Stairs of Gold...and poof, many copies vanished. I decided to buy one used through Powells bookstore--

2. Older Used 1979 details:
My used one through Powells turned out to be a 1979 version, when U.S. Games was in New York. It's not a gold-stamped that someone once posted about (someone asked the value of her first edition with gold ink, I think--she never responded to my question, though...I couldn't access a value, either!). So far as I can tell, the finish is a little slicker; it was printed in Switzerland; and the booklet is paper, not plastic coated.

One of the extra publisher cards lists Stuart Kaplan's one Encyclopedia of the Tarot.

The cards seem a little lighter in color than my more recent reprint. I don't think it's fading--I think the cards were originally a little lighter in the sky blue color...anyway, it's good advice to get one. My used 1979 version was $15.00, not including shipping...it was luck of the draw that I got the older version.

3. Stella, aka Porta Celeste (Celestial Portal?) and a thought in comparing to Stairs of Gold...

Beautiful, reminds me somewhat of the Greco-Roman Sybilline oracle deck by Tavaglione, has the theme of a spiral that undulates within and without. The esoteric language isn't easy to translate, but there are glimpses are into a beautiful mind. Somehow I believe the synthesis of all this comes out more refined in the "Stairs of Gold"-- Tavaglione's dedication of Stairs of Gold, other then his wife Giulia, seems to be to Stuart Kaplan, thanking the U.S. Games founder for allowing him to bring tarot into the New World...

Regards,

Cerulean

catlin

Thans for all your input!

Wow, guys, you are just amazing and I am sooo glad I followed my intution and got a copy of the Stairs of Gold 3 years ago!!! I have just started delving into qabalistic matters and started to learn Sankskrit a while ago so I am glad to hear that the Stairs are also great for study.

tarotbear

The 'Little Italian Book'

Yes - the "LIB" (Little Italian Book) for the Stars deck has never been (successfully) translated into English. One site I went to had the Stars - in English- I was disappointed to find they were using the Stairs' LWB for the interpretations. I have shown the LIB to many people who speak and understand Italian and they all handed it back and said - "I have no idea what he is talking about!" I never knew if they meant the highly technical Italian, or were just confused by the tarot terminology used.