How much types of Jasper are there?

Kahlie

I dreamt very clearly that I needed a Jasper. I heard it very clearly in my dream, and remembered it upon awakening, although I had several dreams before and after.

Originally, I thought Jasper was a colour! Then I found out it was a crystal. The thing is... there are so much different kinds, and I only heard that I needed 'a' Jasper.

Can somebody list the different names so I can look at all of them and see which one pricks my interest? I tried looking at Ebay, but most of it is jewelry and not stones.

And since I am normally not into Crystals (Although I own some pieces, which I do not know the names of) I also don't know good crystal sites which might have this information.

I do have a whit estone with blue spots... Could that be Jasper?

Kahlie

Bluemanticore

Kahlie, according to "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic": "Jasper is a common stone, an opaque variety of chalcedony, which is a form of quartz. Found in a wide range of colors- red, brown, and green being the most common." In addition to those three colors, there is also what is known as mottled or leopard jasper which is speckled black and white.

Kahlie

Alright, at least that will mean it's not expensive!

I also saw "Ocean Jasper" and "Leopard Jasper". And just now "Landscape Jasper"
I just saw some pieces on Ebay which attracted me, they are bright red, does that make them Red Jasper or just normal Jasper? It has lots of stripes in it, even of orange as well. Even a piece of 12!! Kg!! Omg. I wouldn't have place to put it!

Kahlie

wizzle

There are certainly lots of jaspers

brecciated
picture or landscape jasper
moukaite
zebra
yellow
silex
Egyptian
swiss lapis
prase
(plus lots more)

The name is dervied from the Greek and means "spotted stone." Like agate, it is a member of the quartz group and it can get hard to tell where the line is between agate and jasper. But most jasper is in the brown, yellow red family, although it comes in all colors.

Jasper and agate are both commonly dyed bright colors, usually to imitate a more expensive variety of quartz like carnelian. I'd be a bit wary of a bright red jasper, since it is more usual to find the natural stone in dark red. A reputable dealer will know and tell you if the stone is natural or dyed, so you might want to ask.

Here's a website I buy from that has lots of jasper hearts

http://www.phoenixorion.com/

I'm very drawn to jasper because it is so complex and interesting. Helvetica knows a website in the UK that has similar hearts for sale at a good price.

Kahlie

I would be very pleased with a website in/around Europe that sells good and reputable stones. I wouldn't want to buy something that isn't true. Although, the seller that I contacted, has a 12kg stone, so it looks rather real to me. But I just want something small!

Maybe I should ask my guide to be more clear on what type of jasper he was meaning... None of these types 'spark' a memory or anything else. It was just jasper... And 'just' Jasper doesn't seem to exist...

Kahlie

sharpchick

When I think of "just" jasper, I think of red.

Kahlie

The more I think about it, the more I think I need protection. I keep dreaming about my brother in laws father's disease. I also feel his pain and am having trouble 'shutting it down'.

So, probably red would suit my needs the best.

Kahlie

BodhiSeed

UK store

Hi Kahlie,
Here is a UK based company that I've ordered from and been very pleased with:
http://www.crystalcavern.com/
Just go to "tumbled stones" then click on the "J" at the top of the alphabet. It lists several varieties of jasper and has pictures/properties for them.
Many blessings,
Bodhran

SongDeva

You are most attracted to the red. That's whats important, in my experience. Your guide pointed you in the right direction, and your own intuition/inclinations will take you the rest of the way. The bright red with orangey stripes is the brecciated jasper; as far as I know, its natural. But I'm told there are roughly 10,000 varieties of jasper...Picture Jasper is one of my faves. They have landscapes you can get lost in. The lore is that the Picture Jasper carries stories of the Earth's history, that one can access via meditation when we know how to "read" them. :) Worth a try! It's beautiful, nonetheless.

I would go by what attracted you and sticks in your mind from ebay (a strong suggestion that that's for you) or hit a stone shop where you can handle some varieties.