Does a 21 Century Real World Issues Deck Exist?

Deana

I understand what you're saying. Heck, I've even wondered why so many decks have elaborate chalices for Cups, when no one uses those outside of ritual in our world. I always get so excited when I see coffee cups, tea cups, or beer steins on Tarot cards. Just a little detail like that can change everything.

(Of course, I don't like changing guns for swords; to me swords are about a lot of other things besides killing. Owning a gun in our world is not comparable to owning a sword in medeival times; it's actually more similar to owning a Club -- but not a Wand.)

But I definitely see what you mean. The Ten of Pentacles and the Five of Pentacles are two extremes that exist in our world graphically and in Tarot, they are all too often more similar (just by the medieval art style) than shockingly, obscenely different.

Bridget

Deana said:
(Of course, I don't like changing guns for swords; to me swords are about a lot of other things besides killing. Owning a gun in our world is not comparable to owning a sword in medeival times; it's actually more similar to owning a Club -- but not a Wand.)
I think guns have greater practical utility than swords - you can hunt for food with a gun, but all you can really do with a sword is kill somebody. (I wonder if that's why swords are traditionally the most "difficult" suit.) But swords have much more symbolism, and I miss that whenever guns are the suit symbol. (Plus the switch can lead to some bizarre images - the 10s in the Victoria Regina comes to mind.)

I wonder how to translate the sword symbolism to a modern-looking deck. I also like seeing teacups instead of chalices, and sometimes a suit gets a clever update, like pens for wands in the Victoria Regina. But it's hard to think of a good 21st-century update for swords. Switchblades? Kitchen knives?

Airis

I dunno about guns much...I just dun like them.

To me a person who can handle a sword has far more superior skill than a person holding a gun. Handling a sword takes lots of practice...you'd have to learn the fundamentals of attack & defence.

Granted a gun does a much easier job but it does not take that much skill. It's cowardly....I'd rather soldiers go to war like the olden times...on horses, swords and stuffs....not using scud missiles, landmines, rocket launchers, etc.

Why....? Cos civilians dun get killed "accidentally"...the war is won by strategy & strength of it's soldiers....not by the high number of casualties...
nowadays you still get civilian casualties even after the war is long over.

Anyway, the swords in tarot has significant meaning....I'd like it to stay that way...perhaps I'm a traditionalist in that sense...though I too prefer modern depictions to consistently reflect our modern times....

Are we really modern....hmmm....

Airis: my $0.02

Purrceyz

I personally really like the Gay tarot deck for its real world feel. (I'm a straight married female).

Although I understand the need for the Gay tarot deck, I do wish someone would do a similar style, more general theme modern tarot deck.

The Pagan deck almost does this but there is a lack of racial diversity in that deck :( . To me, that really reduces the appeal of that deck.

I don't like the idea of guns for swords although I think knives could work instead...

MariaAZ

Breezes said:
As I give it more thought, swords are a really gruesome way to die, the death often more agonizing and very personal, as you must be very near the victim to kill them So you will see them die, often in agony. So that to me sounds a lot more ugly
As a new learner of tarot, your description has given me a new view of swords. I know that swords stand for intellect and swift action, but the idea of death by sword being agonizing gives me a different perspective. Rational swift action can often lead to slow, agonizing results unless careful thought and skill are part of the equation. Gives me a totally different take on the sword court cards!

Oh, and the PoMo deck that Nydia mentioned has a very modern feel to it. According to wicce.com's review of the deck, it utilizes modern takes on traditional archetypes.

Fulgour

The Pamela Colman Smith Tarot of 1909

Plus ça change, plus ça même chose.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Purrceyz

Breezes said:
Plus ça change, plus ça même chose.
hi, what did you say?
breezes
:)
sorry, looked it up, you said history repeats itself

I think translation is "that more things change, the more they stay the same" which is quite close...