herbs for a persistant COUGH!

cheekyminx

Has anyone else had it? Or have it? Cough, cough all day & night :(

Whats good for a dry cough thats persistant & won't go away?? I don't want to take any drugs, I'd rather natural products :D

Thank you

geministar

It depends what kind of cough it is. Is it a chesty cough, a dry cough? Maybe something for your immune system will help it but I reckon you should go into a health food shop and ask in there. If you have a naturopath give him/her a call and they can either recommend something or make you up a nice herbal mixture...YUM! (not).

PixieLi

I'm no herb expert but I would suggest Vitamin C and Zinc as well as Echinacea.

taken from wikipedea ~ Echinacea has been attributed with the ability to boost the body's immune system and ward off infections, particularly the common cold.

Get well soon
B*B
Pix

chrisam-crystals

sage tea is fannytastic for coughs, and if you add some honey then it will soothe your throat from any soreness caused by the coughing.

about half teaspoon of dried sage or 5 or 6 fresh leaves per cup, steep for 3-7 minutes depending on the strength you can handle and then sip a cup full 3-4 times a day.

also try sipping wine vinegar mixed into some water to take the tickle from your throat when a cough is starting up, but sip it don't gulp it down! lol

jue xx

Rainbow Aurora

Hello cheekyminx
You could try using Liquorice root fresh
or dried and put it in a pan, cover with
water and simmer for ages, three hours even.

Strain and bottle the syrup, you can add
a couple of tea spoons of Honey for each
cup of syrup this adds to the existing qualities
of the Liquorice and acts as a preservative.
Take one or two tea spoons every few hours.
taken from Growing and Using The Healing Herbs
by Gaea and Shandor Weiss

I have tried this and it worked. Although
chrisam-crystals sage tea sounds good and
a lot quicker to do!! I think I will try that
next time, many thanks chrisam-crystals.

:love:
Rainbow

chrisam-crystals

licorice root can also be used as a spoon to stir the sage and honey tea, and it will help too. :)

cannot stand licorice myself mind you......bleurgh! lol

jue xx

Sophie

Mallow - musk mallow, or marsh mallow (in dried form) - the root & leaves especially - available from good herbalists (inc. online).Very good for cough and all sorts of chesty complaints, including asthmatic coughs. You brew tea from it, and drink it 3- 4 times a day - mixed with honey, for soothing.

skygreen

Sage tea as someone noted above my favorite healing tea for all colds and coughs has been Rose petal and lemon balm. One classic tea for a cough is Lemon, Ginger, Garlic and honey some people leave out the garlic and some leave out the ginger obviously it tastes better without garlic but is probably much more effective with it Rather than as a tea Lemon, Ginger, Garlic and even the honey also work well in a chicken broth or other broth

cheekyminx

Thank you to all who replied. I will get my arse down to the healthfood shop tomorrow:) Was out of town all weekend....

Wandlimb

If it's the sort of cough where you cough stuff up I'd use elderflowers/berries. I dose my family with elderberry tea or a syrup I make whenever they get colds or coughs and it works! I made some for my grandad and now the carers at his nursing home want some for them too! Luckily I have an elderberry bush in my garden!

If it's a drier cough I'd say marshmallow.