question re tarot totes

shadowdancer

I have just ordered x 3 padded tarot pouches ready for when I head overseas. (Alas house not sold yet so might not be as soon as I hoped :( )
I want to take 3 decks with me in my carry on luggage so they will need some careful consideration to protect them.

I would also like to consider a larger padded case for a couple of other decks which don't come with bags, i.e. ToD and Steele Wizard. Has anyone used the padded pouches who could give a heads up as to if these will be large enough? I understand the dimensions say they should fit, but these two decks are also quite 'thick' if that makes sense? Overall they are quite chunky as well as being oversized.

Also, any thoughts as to how you find the padded cases over the usual drawstring pouches.

thanks in advance!

Davina

Debra

If no one has an answer, let me encourage you to write to the diamonds--they are great to do business with and will measure the bag for you and advise you properly, I'm sure of it...

Sulis

Yep I'm sure it says on the Tarot Totes site that if you have a deck that is an unusual size just sent them the measurements and they will be able to make the case to fit.

shadowdancer

I didn't realise they could change the dimensions of the pouch. (I have e mailed mentioning these two decks, but not yet had a reply - my bad for being impatient, as I only e mailed yesterday)

thanks for the responses though. I am looking forward to receiving the 3 I have ordered. My Osho Zen, Deirdre of Sorrows and Bright Idea decks will hopefully thank me in the long run :D. Believe me there will not be a lot of space in my carry on luggage. Experiences being witnessed at Heathrow has made me want to take as much as possible on with me, space and weight allowing that is! No way will I let decks go in the main hold.

Davina

wytchwood

Nice to see the Osho Zen up there with the faves, Davina, it's really unique.

I've also been eyeing those Totes cases, although really I can't justify it, you have a valid reason, and I just like the look of em. I suppose they are quite protective.

My best Tarot storage device (although not to everyone's taste) is the pocket I got for the Sakki Sakki. It's kind of like a rolling tobacco packet made from clear supple plastic with a printed sheet of paper sandwiched between, all sewn up and has a ribbon to close it. It's splash proof, key dig proof, sit-on-your-bag-proof.... and it has a big side for the deck, and a small side for the spare cards, LWB or whatever... it's just great for a careless individual like myself. I would probably buy more of them if they came in 'plain' for other decks, but she only makes ones with the Sakki Sakki card images. I'd love to make my own, but don't know where to buy plastic like that.

Zoe xx

shadowdancer

I actually like the sound of that Wytchwood. In a nutshell I am in the process of emigrating to NZ, although the housing situation here has given me a wake up call. (I just hope I can sell okay :( )

In addition to those 3 decks I will be taking both Osho Zen books with me. I remember rolling the ciggies for my grandads when I was little so know the pouch you mean. I had never thought of making something whereby the cards could go in one side, and the book in the other. Then fold it over, tie with ribbon and voila - a nice little set up.

Food for thought once I get there and don't have to worry about them getting battered through 5 legs of a travel journey. (We are hoping to break up the journey by stopping at Canada, Hawaii & Tasmania on the way).

Davina

PS it was hard narrowing down which decks to take as opposed to shipping. I had to think about which ones would prove valuable when doing readings still particularly on the forum where I am a reader. Osho Zen is not one I use often, but there will be many contemplative moments whereby the books would be of benefit alongside the cards. Bright Idea and Deirdre of Sorrows decks are two of my main reading decks, so they were a given!!

wytchwood

It must have been murder choosing which decks to take, I just don't know how you managed it, Davina! I'm sure it must have taken you an age to decide.

Here's a link to the 'pockets' so you can have a goosey:

http://www.sakki-sakki.com/shop/shop_pockets.html

It would be great to make some like this... Cloth bags a re lovely, but they don't offer much protection. I find them adequate for stored decks at home, but for traveling I prefer something more substantial. I learned my lesson with the International Icon. I took it out of its box and kept it in a little crochet bag and carried it in my handbag. Well, after a couple of weeks it was a bit worse for wear. It had key marks in the end card and got wet when I left it on the dashboard. Luckily it's a reasonably tough deck and remained usable once it dried out, but I wasn't about to make another mistake like that!

Good luck with your move and selling your house! How exciting for you!

Zoe xx

Debra

For travelling--I've done a lot--I have one word:

Baggies.

Ok, three words:

Zip-lock plastic baggies.

:D

morticia monroe

When I take a trip to see my mother I always like to take a few decks along with me...I found that the best thing for me is a cosmetics bag. One like this

http://www.neatitems.com/images/Cosmetic_bag_2.jpg

works perfectly for me. The plastic interior zippered pockets hold a few decks, a spreadcloth, a book or two, some incense, and a small journal and pen. There is even room for a crystal or two. And it all zips up neatly. Also they can be found in all sizes.

Sinduction

I use my own crocheted bags for travel and they stay protected quite well. I suppose it's all in how you construct the bag. I double the thread and use a smaller hook so they are very strong. Mine are shaped like the totes ones.

I can't afford to buy from tarot totes but I imagine they are quite sturdy.

Just be sure they can't move around in whatever you put them it.

Those Sakki Sakki are adorable but way too busy for me. I like plain.