SYMBOLOGY STUDY GROUP: The Lovers Apr. 27 - May 13

afrosaxon

Hello all,

This time around we study the Lovers.

There has been debate on this card: does it mean romantic love, or choice? Many cards show a male and female figure, in opposing colors (black and white, for instance). Apparently, the card used to be called "Love", then was switched to "The Lovers" (I saw this somewhere on AT...can't cite the source offhand).

Anyway...in the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, The Lovers card is called Marassa.

The Marassa are the sacred twins of the voudoun pantheon. They are sacred because they were birthed by Nan Nan Bouclou (lwa of herbs and medicines) from The Void: 0 = 2. There are three bowls beneath the male and female twins in this card: representing this equation (0=2). In many African cultures, twins are considered sacred.

Due to the positioning of the twins in this card, I'm more inclined to go with the "romantic choices" side of the debate...the twins are joined together: male and female, yin and yang. Duality.

This card has a lot of yellow/gold and warm tones to it. The background is yellow, but with hints of light blue (calm, peace)...there is a peacefulness associated wiht this union, though it is subtle. I get a strong Gemini astrological affinity with this card due to the twin images. (I also have a Gemini ascendant ;) ).

In this deck, the Marassa card also indicates an acceptance of differences. This goes along with the male/female, yin/yang principles of the card.

T.

Attachments

• 6 -- Marassa.jpg
    6 -- Marassa.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 125

tabi

Thanks Afrosaxon for opening up the next round for me. :)

I am curious to see if anyone has the Mystic Deck, I had it for a while then sold it off cuz I didn't care for it. However it did have the most interesting story of both love and choice due to Mythology. If someone w/could get me the names I'll do the rest. But the theme was this:

A young man (a god?) was asked to choice betweem two women (goddess--Venus? and another one) if he choose the goddess she would offer him the most beautiful woman on Earth for choosing her....I think seriously need to look into that one

BUT the whole point of this is sometimes love and choice are the same thing, most of the time it is the same thing. What do you give up to get what you want? What is lost by choosing the path that you did?

Alyiosa

Lo Scarabeo Interpretation

I just got a new Lo Scarabeo deck today (Pictorial Key Tarot) and the LWB sums up the Lovers like this:

Every day is a test, even of ourselves. Every choice is important, but we don't know the consequences. In any case, you must decide with your heart.

That said, I interpret the Lovers as deep love not only with ppl but maybe with career choices or hobbies or such things. Deep love of something. Sometimes what we love may not be what we need or what is best for us therefore we must consciously choose between what we love and what is best to our current situation/circumstances.

tabi

Llewellyn's Lovers: The Dream of Macsen Wledig

The beginning of this story is truly romantic, the ending with all myths are not all that pretty in reality or looked at thoroughly. But there are lessons and growth to be learned from them all. If you click the link you'll see the back story of this particular card. The Llewellyn is based Welsh Mythology.

The large tapserty behind them pictures the angel Gaberial I believe, I'm not good with angels so if anyone wanna fill in him I would appreciate it. The red though is strictly love and passion. The gold though in the card however brings to mind riches as in richness or rich in feeling. Not money only, if at all. The thorn is obviously a reference to Wledig's Emperor status.

To one side is a white candle with a snake wrapped around right under the holder. White means purity to me but snake seems evil or sinful at least to some. However there are some good qualities of the snake....just not sure how they fit into this one? Then you look across to the other side and you see the small golden tree. Linked together with the snake and angel it does make it have an Adam and Eve feel to it doesn't it?

Attachments

• Lovers_Llew.jpg
    Lovers_Llew.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 139

tabi

Lunatic's Lovers, Mystic Faerie, and Tarot of Dreams.

I was reading the companion book to the Mystic Faerie book, her spin on this is that the feminine energy is from the heart, which is why he lays his head on her heart. The masculine energy is from the head which is why she holds his head. The fruit is what is creating nourishment around them and allowing their love to grow.

If you look at the Lunatic's Lovers you'll see a similar situation of him with his head against her heart. The angels showing a symbolism of allowing their love to spread and grow. Roses are an obviously symbol of love and commintment. The butterfly on her head I find interesting. Change and beautiful transformations. Yet I have no idea how it would fit into the Lover's card. However reading my Dream symbols book:

The Giant Book of Dreams said:
To see a butterfly among flowers and green grasses indicates prosperity and fair attainments.

Which mix in the roses it makes a great deal of sense. ;)

The Tarot of Dreams' Lovers, yet again you have the man and woman. She is sitting in his lap this time but still his head rest against her heart. This is probably one of the more sexy verisons of the card without being explicted. ;) The candles around them seem to light their love and their romanatic sense. The window to the outside though makes me wonder what Ciro had in mind, unless it is a door. :confused: Either way there seems to be a choice between them. To stay in each others arms or one or both leave their "nest". There is a painful longing in their faces, isn't there?

Attachments

• Lovers_Mystic_Faerie.jpg
    Lovers_Mystic_Faerie.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 104