007 Decks

crystal dawn

I have recently read somewhere that Salvador Dali was commissioned to do a tarot deck for the film live and let die, though when the connection fell through Dali teamed up with amanda lear to create the Universal Dali Tarot. The film makers of live and let die then commissioned a lesser known artist Fergus Hall to create a tarot deck which became the Tarot of the witches.
In the film live and let die the tarot reader - solitaire - during her first scene is seen reading using the tarot of the witches deck. From then on the next time we see her reading tarot cards she is using the Rider waite tarot. So which of these is really the 007 deck?

gregory

WELL - I have a first printing of the Hall - and the backs are covered in the 007 logo - so I'd say that one.

crystal dawn

wow, i guess that one will be pretty rare now though.

rwcarter

There are at least two or three up on US eBay right now. I bought one this year. So they're not all that rare.

gregory

With the blue 007 backs ? AND - my fave bit - the denim pouch ??

rwcarter

No, the ones I've seen are the set with companion book. I believe mine has blue backs. (I think I've seen one with red backs, but don't quote me on that.) No denim pouches though.

rwcarter

One just went for $6 on eBay.... (It was deck with LWB and not set with companion book though.)

tarotbear

I have the (Fergus Hall) deck in it's hardboard little box (not sure if backs are red or blue) and also the boxed "007 Tarot Game"!

crystal dawn - there are so many inconsistancies in the film 'Live and Let Die' (which I saw 1,000 times as a child) that they are too many to list here. Isn't it a little odd that Solitaire is using a deck that says '007' on the backs? The producers obviously never thought that the real tarotists out there would ever notice they change decks constantly.

BTW - Geoffrey Holder burns a Fergus Hall card in half, but David Headison hands the police a burned RWS card ...

I always wanted Solitaire's reading room, tho !

Abrac

Hi crystal dawn. The Fergus Hall is the "007" deck.