10 of pentacles as posible problems in a relationship?

Frannie

I made a reading for myself, regarding problems we are having with my boyfriend. The 10 of pentacles showed up as "Possible obstacles". It really got me thinking, because the problem is about health, he has bipolarity, though I know pentacles can apply to health, but how could "excelent health" be an obstacle when it's all I want!.... What could it mean? If somebody have some thoughts please helpp.

AJ

some times the 10 pents can be taken as too much of a good thing, or so overwhelmed with (? insert good thing) that it can no longer be appreciated. Or something 'over the top' ... pushed too far as to slide off the other side?

Daizdy

The 10 Pentacles can also pertain to things being handed down. It could very refer to your boyfriend's bipolar disorder, especially if it runs in the family. Does mental illness run in his family?

GoddessArtemis

I totally agree with Daizdy...10 of Pentacles are "things inherited"...and bipolar disorder is something that is definitely linked to genetics/family history. The problem, the card seems to say, is what's been handed down to your boyfriend...

GA

Frannie

I can't believe how I didn't see it before! Yes, this is a problem he inherited from his family.... though what could it mean as being a problem? Maybe he will be feeling like "on top of the world" (wich stands for maniac episodes)?
Thank you all, you really helped :)

Daizdy

I think, perhaps, you are fixed on the idea that this card is always good. However, it doesn't necessarily mean something good. As Thirteen's explanation of the 10's states, "It is the ultimate good or bad of that element." So, in your reading, the "ultimate" obstacle might be an inherited mental illness (the element).

Thirteen's Tarot Meanings

Tzabaoth

Penultimate earth gives little attention to other non-mundane, non-earthy aspects. Maybe superficial sight or thinking is present, focusing only on the current, very present, issue and ignoring the more subtle aspects. Isn't the 10 of pentacles also a card of family values? I know in one of my books the reversal of the card can be translated as family pressure. The affliction is inherited. Perhaps the family feels their son is a very special person and only a particular type of woman can handle him. Maybe they don't find you or the relationship in general to be what they wanted or planned for him?

Daizdy

Tzabaoth said:
Isn't the 10 of pentacles also a card of family values? I know in one of my books the reversal of the card can be translated as family pressure. The affliction is inherited. Perhaps the family feels their son is a very special person and only a particular type of woman can handle him. Maybe they don't find you or the relationship in general to be what they wanted or planned for him?
Personally, I see your description as more emotional than the physical or material Pentacle. It could, of course mean that the family is concerned about what kind of children the relationship would produce...handing down bad genes. Honestly, in this case, I feel it has to do with his bipolarity.

Just my penny's worth :)

Frannie

The actual question I made was if his bipolarity (since I'm one too) could affect our relationship. I asked how should I best proceed, what am I not seeing, etc... and then 10 of pents as posible problems in the future. He's family doesn't support his illness, they do like me, though. So, I still have doubts of what this card is telling me, since the question was about him, his bipolarity and how it could affect our relatioship. All the other cards made perfect sence, now I can only understand two things about this card: One that is indeed inherited, and two that he may not get all the support he needs from his family (like the old man sitting far away from the family in the RWS deck...) and I also think it could stand for a maniac episode, when people feel euforic, like on the top, but in a non-healthy way (number 10 and beeing a pent, wich I relate here to health). Is there still something I'm not seeing?

Tiro DvD

10 Pence also implies dynasty and establishment. How competent does his family think you are able to take care of their child?