10 of Pentacles as Time?

Tiggy-cat

I had a thought about this card, which I've always found confusing in certain contexts where it doesn't really seem relevant, and wonder if other people have felt this. Since it seems to have much to do with ancestry, progeny and legacy, maybe even family history, I wonder if it can sometimes represent the constancy of Time, or the passing of it, in continuous cycles of birth, life and death.

Time always exists, it always has and always will, we say "there's always tomorrow", so in a recent reading as to "why" something didn't happen, I'm thinking it could be saying "later...eventually..."

Just wonder if people have encountered this, or if that's kind of getting it off-track?

cardwitch

I think this sounds like a brilliant interpretation. I see all the 10 cards as related to the tenth trump, the Wheel of Fortune, and thus related to cycles and time.

rwcarter

In many timing systems pentacles are associated with years, so the 10 Pentacles would be equivalent to 10 years. As a card, the 10P is associated with legacies and inheritances, which take time to accumulate/build up. As a more general answer to why something hasn't happened yet, the 10P could easily be saying "it's not time yet" or "more time is needed" or "in due time."

Rodney

Tiggy-cat

I think this sounds like a brilliant interpretation. I see all the 10 cards as related to the tenth trump, the Wheel of Fortune, and thus related to cycles and time.

Thank you cardwich. I haven't had much experience at all with the Wheel of Fortune, but I see how that could relate to cycles for sure, and I had never considered "cycles" in any of the pip 10s. I guess they all are kind of like nearing the completion of the cycle in their suits, in a way.

Tiggy-cat

In many timing systems pentacles are associated with years, so the 10 Pentacles would be equivalent to 10 years. As a card, the 10P is associated with legacies and inheritances, which take time to accumulate/build up. As a more general answer to why something hasn't happened yet, the 10P could easily be saying "it's not time yet" or "more time is needed" or "in due time."

Rodney

Ah, thank you Rodney. I haven't done much with timing in readings, but have had this card come up in situations where legacies and inheritances seemed to make NO sense at all! But as you say, those things take a while to accumulate, or "ripen", so the answer of "in due time" makes a lot of sense.