100 year-old Tarot Book; UK

Elnor

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the book forum or not, so mods feel free to move it if that's where it ought to be.... since it's going soon at eBay I thought more people might see it here.

There is an old copy of "The Tarot of the Bohemians" at eBay UK; I only just came across it, and it's ending time is tomorrow, (Feb. 7). It was published in 1896, so is a pretty rare book!

Here's a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260207514196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

(sigh) My BF has forbidden me to even THINK about bidding on it, since I bought two books on herbalism last week, (and especially since i've not even got that deck- lol!)

elnor

rwcarter

I don't have the deck either, but I do have the book (although not an 1896 printing of it!). There's some useful information in it about the Major Arcana and how the cards relate to each other. I'm sure there's other useful info in it, but that's what I've used it for.

Rodney

Scion

Papus is pretty idiosyncratic, much more Levi-based than we're used to here in the States, though distinctly his own creation like many 19th century occultists. :)

That said, If you're interested in the book, you can pick up modern reprints for (literally) pennies, and I think there may even be PDF copies floating arund the net fror nothing. So if you're just buying it to satisfy curiosity, don't by the 1st edition.

jmd

Interesting... I was under the impression the English translation only came out in 1906... but I guess I never properly followed through with those details properly!