1JJ for "best ever" deck

The crowned one

Debra said:
It sure impresses the heck out of people when you flash it around--the Devil's a great one, eh?

(Wondering--what's your first favorite version, TCO? We can run that candidate for next year ... )

One I recently recieved in a trade: Jean noblet. Lacks the cool funk factor of the 1JJ but is such a clean lined crisp deck.

Freddie

I still enjoy using this deck and it brings back fond memories from my Tarot past every time I see it. I have always really liked the back of this pack as well, nice autumn tones.

This deck has an organic quality that still rings true, sort of like a comforting old copy of a Carole KIng, Janis Ian, or James Taylor album.

Freddie

Attachments

• 1jj18.jpg
    1jj18.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 62dae461b1964190.jpg
    62dae461b1964190.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 75
  • jjtaro10.jpg
    jjtaro10.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 82

Debra

Today, the top ten list; tomorrow, the Presidency.

Fireworks! Pinatas! Bongo drums! Ice cream for all! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/topten.shtml

Freddie said:
This deck has an organic quality that still rings true, sort of like a comforting old copy of a Carole KIng, Janis Ian, or James Taylor album.

A perfect tribute. Can we add Lou Reed's Heroin to the list? ;)

Flaxen

Excellent! I'm a newbie to TdM but I cast my vote for the IJJ in tribute to the decks I've come to love.

gregory

Way to go debra !!!!

Have a cookie :D

The 78th Fool

This deck rocks and it's fantastic to see it in 2010's all time top ten. It was one of the first three decks I owned and remains a firm favourite. This has become even more the case over the last year or so when I've found myself coming full circle and turning to my original three decks even more than ever.

I often think those first decks, whichever they may be for each individual, shape your view of the tarot and what you subsequently expect from other decks. This is certainly the case for me - Blue box RWS, Red box Grimaud TDM, Purple box Tarot of the Witches and Waddington's red box 1JJ. That's what tarot's all about for me.

Chris. xx

Le Fanu

I also think those early decks were the most magical, when you went into a shop and debated buying and they were shrink-wrapped and (unless you had Kaplan's Encyclopedia) you didn't really know what you were getting. When I bought my Grimaud Grand Egyptians, I had no real idea what was inside.

Those early purchases are the most magic. I can remember the day I bought each and every one of my early decks (1JJ Swiss included), planned my purchase, stood in bookshops um-ing & ah-ing, torn betwen two or four or seven.

I can never remember the days that packages arrive from the Book Depository.

I too return full circle to my early decks, the 1JJ Swiss, Spanish, Cagliostro, balbi, Grimaud Etteilla, Royal Fez Morrocan, Fergus Hall etc. They have retained their magic over the years.

It was Debra's poetry which did it. Next year I shall be comissioning you to serenade us all on the beauteousness of the Power Animals Tarot.

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
Next year I shall be comissioning you to serenade us all on the beauteousness of the Power Animals Tarot.

"Uphill struggle" comes to mind... :D

Well done Debra.

Alta

Well done Debra! Have a virtual cookie from me as well!!!