1JJ Swiss deck; falling out of fashion?

Hooked on TdM

Bee you've tainted me! Every time I see the cups now I think "the suit of the drunkards!" Hehe.. Your right though, he looks smashed out of his mind...

All of them seem to talk a lot, they are very descriptive of themselves.

Does anyone have the Kaplan Encyclopedias? Supposedly this deck is referenced in it and gives the date of when it was created....

Hooked

thinbuddha

I would probably like this deck a lot better if it weren't for Juno & Jupiter. Call me old fashioned.

Regarding when it was made, I had always thought that the information on this web page was more or less correct.

-tb

Alta

making the invisible visible: that is, curing 'post lock' that seems to afflict threads occasionally.

Hooked on TdM

Thanks Alta...

Thinbuddha: Yep, it references Kaplan's Encyclopedias on the bottom! Thanks...

Hooked

Bernice

Very interesting that The Tower, in french is, "The House of God". I believe that was a very early name for this card. History buffs could you please clarify this?

The more I look at these cards, the more I like them.
I have found only one (ONE!) card that is truly 'reversable', the 7 Deniers. The 6 Deniers and 10 Deniers might also qualify, but close inspection shows minute differences.

All the rest of the cards can be distinguished by the illustrations if they're upsidedown. Not forgetting (of course) that right-side-up the teeny 'us games' copyright is in the margin on the lower right - pity - but can be useful for a quick glance at a spread.

What can be made of the little 'golden calf' (if that's what it is) that hangs against L'Empereurs chest?
When these blocks were first made was there an 'emperor' who was considered pagan?

Fascinating, lovely deck.

Bee

teomat

thinbuddha said:
I would probably like this deck a lot better if it weren't for Juno & Jupiter. Call me old fashioned.
Yes, this puts me off getting the deck too. I used to have it, but got rid of it a long time ago. I much prefer the LS Ancient Italian which is more Marseille-like, but I do like the IJJ's simple, uncluttered feel.

I definitely see the appeal though. It always reminds me of the TV show 'Tales of the Unexpected' (I think it featured in the opening titles).

ihcoyc

According to the Kaplan encyclopedia, vol. 2, the 1JJ relates to a Rauch Tarot, a woodcut Besancon style tarot from the 1830s; and also to a Muhlemann Tarot printed around 1886-1887, which was a standard Tarot with La Papesse and Le Pape.

I'd really like to get that Muhlemann deck.

Bernice

Ah! The Ancient Italian, it's a lovely deck isn't it.

But I think Juno & Jupiter in the IJJ give a delightful twist to the Pope & Papess.
Juno appears to have jurisdiction over the beauties of nature, all things of the natural world, which may possibly also govern 'good' instincts and 'good' natural responses - thoughts, feelings & actions.

And the Empress, with her instructive demeanor, seems to have dominion (on a throne) over an 'inner' landscape. An area more applicable to how one aught to conduct themselves in the *civilised world. (* = although I would agree that a good percentage of our civililsation is uncivil!).

I really like Jupiter... he sits there ready and willing to help/advise. He knows what is best or most suitable for all, but allows everyone/thing to find out for themselves.

Just my take on them - at this time.

Bee

Bernice

Many thanks ihcoyc!

Every bit of info. is a great help. Will attempt to find pics of the Rauch tarot.

Bee :)