4 Elements Spread

Indigo Rose

I made this spread to try and look at an issue from various points.

The Four Elements Spread

Start by selecting a Significator for the issue you are asking about. This can be ANY CARD from the deck. It does NOT have to be a court card, unless that is what the Querent chooses. The idea behind the card is that it represents the essence of the issue to the Querent. I have labeled that S and this card is placed in the center. Then lay it out as follows:

******3********

1*****S******2*

******4********

1)Water....This represents that which is fluid, changeable, illusive, and or based on the emotional undercurrents of the situation; may represent a "hidden" component....just under the surface.

2)Air....This represents your thoughts and specific ideas on the situation; may indicate ideas or thoughts you need to consider.

3)Stone(or Earth)....This represents that which is fixed, solid, tangible and concrete in the situation.

4)Fire....This represents the action or movement possible in the situation. It can also indicate the actions which have lead to the issue.

The spread offers layers of meanings….from a simple overview, to an in-depth look.
Here are some ideas for using this spread and getting more meaning from it:

Quintessential Cards
I use a method of adding the numeric values of all the cards together to come up with the quintessential card or QC. I do this by taking the total and reducing it, corresponding it to a Major Arcana card. This card communicates the overview for the reading….kind of like a summary of meaning.

Assigning a QC
Numbers 0 and 22 = The Fool
** 1-21 correspond to their respective Major Cards.**
Numbers 23 and above get reduced…(i.e. card totals =23….2+3=5….the Quinessential Card would be 5-The Hierophant).
Court Cards are NOT assigned numeric value in my method, and thus are a 0.

For this spread, I actually use 2 QC’s:

1) I add all the digits from cards 1-4; excluding the Significator.

This is my 1st QC and represents overall meaning or ‘Umbrella’ covering the reading.

2) I then add the sum of the 4 cards to the numeric value of my Significator.

This is my 2nd QC and represents the deeper meaning of the reading.

Looking at these 2 cards separately and in conjunction adds layers to the overall cards and meanings.

Elemental Dignitaries or ED’s
Using these adds more depth to the interpretation of the reading; especially as Elements are built into the reading. I have posted a quick list of the basic rules to this process:

ELEMENTAL DIGNITY RULES
The Four Elements interact with each other using rigid rules:
1. Fire and Water are enemies; they weaken each other
2. Air and Earth are enemies; they weaken each other
3. All other combinations are friendly; they strengthen each other
4. Fire and Air are active
5. Water and Earth are passive
That is all there is to the rules.

I am just learning more on how to use the ED’s, and finding them very informative in the readings. I have included a link for those who want to learn more.Elemental Dignities

Don’t get overwhelmed by it if you are new to it. Just start with the basics and work your way through it.

Peace
:heart:

Keigh

I can't wait to try this spread out! It looks wonderful. Thank you also for the ED link. I've just begun looking into them and this link is quite helpful. I'll let you know how the spread works for me.

I have a question....if I want to do the spread for myself....do I pick a significator that resembles the issue as I currently understand it or do I pick a sig that represents the issue as I want it to evolve?

Thanks!!

Keigh

Indigo Rose

Keigh said:
I can't wait to try this spread out! It looks wonderful. Thank you also for the ED link. I've just begun looking into them and this link is quite helpful. I'll let you know how the spread works for me.

I have a question....if I want to do the spread for myself....do I pick a significator that resembles the issue as I currently understand it or do I pick a sig that represents the issue as I want it to evolve?

Thanks!!

Keigh

Hi Keigh. I would say to choose the Significator based on the situation as you now see it....or if doing for others, how they see it. In this way, you can examine the issue as it currently looks and perhaps get a better understanding of things. However, I can see choosing a Signifcator based on the desired outcome. A reading based on that would be a great way to assess the possibilities surrounding your desired outcome. :)

I look forward to hearing how the spread works for you.

Peace
Indigo Rose :love: