4 of swords- temporary or permanent?

SunriseDesire

what kind of a break in a relationship is the 4 of swords? there are temporary breaks, where two people break up, and, in time, get back together. then there's the permanent variety. the thing about the 4 of swords is, the man in the card is just asleep....doesnt it mean he will wake up?? that leads me tol temporary....but after a long break.

pasara

to me the four of swords is more a pause, a withdrawal, taking time to rest and regroup. once that is done then the party has a better perspective on what is going on and whether he/she wants to resume things or not. i do not see it as permanent, it is a time (like all 4s) for assessment. now, that being said, once things are assessed it might be clear to the person that it is a battle that they don't want to jump back into, thus leading to permanency. But the card itself does not indicate forever per se, that would be the 10.

Thirteen

Temporary unless one person or the other has decided to become a monk and live in a monastery... ;)

SunriseDesire

lol thirteen
i see this much the same way as you guys do. it doesn't seem he's closing the door on this, and she sure isn't

MysticalMoose

When I look at the 4of Swords in the DruidCraft see HERE!!! in terms of a relationship - I would see one person as taking time out to consider their position & weigh up recent events or to make a decision in peace & quiet... not a permanent split..at that point. This person could be retreating for the good of all concerned.. this card popped up in a reading I did where the querent had a terrible temper & knew he must withdraw before he did something he may regret. This person needs peace & quiet... for now.. until they make up their mind where to go from here :)

Fostha

pasara said:
to me the four of swords is more a pause, a withdrawal, taking time to rest and regroup. once that is done then the party has a better perspective on what is going on and whether he/she wants to resume things or not. i do not see it as permanent, it is a time (like all 4s) for assessment. now, that being said, once things are assessed it might be clear to the person that it is a battle that they don't want to jump back into, thus leading to permanency. But the card itself does not indicate forever per se, that would be the 10.
I pretty much agree with Pasara too,4 swords is more of a 'time~out' card for me as opposed to the finality seen in the 10. I think it also depends on the damage done too in the 3 swords before it,some couples that are really strong together can and do overcome their time~out phase,and emerge stronger for it,whereas for others some of the damage done is irrepairable (different people,different circumstances),and it does simply lead to the end of things for good between them.

SunriseDesire

thanks guys. you all seem to get the same impression i got. they both seem to have feelings for one another...he is seeing someone at this time, but i think if its meant for my friend and him to be, tghat wont last. given this card and other readings it seems its not a permanent break and she must simply wait for the other relationship to run its course.

MysticalMoose

Yes it maybe that she must just simply withdraw... They may or may not get together eventually, but it seems at this time she can do no more :)

nisaba

I see it as a need on the part of at least one person to get out of the relationship in order to heal.

Now, depending on how hte damage was don e, maybe a brief R&R-type break is what is called for.

Or maybe personal healing calls for the relationship to end altogether, depending on the needs of the person most hurt in the relationship.

SunriseDesire

She was the one most hurt, but in a way, it was kind of her fault that it ended. on the up side, she told me they talked about what happened between them and she told him about how she is working hard on herself to fix the flaws that led to the breakup. he said he'd like to keep in better touch.......