5 of wands -- what are they doing?

Imagemaker

In martial arts, practioners practice "kata" in which they go through a choreographed sequence of positions. This card looked like that to me (body positions and staves, which are used in many forms of karate), and then I read Robin Wood's book and she said she had a neighbor stand in his various martial arts positions for her to do this card.

So yes, they're enjoying the "mock battle" and training themselves for the unexpected.

She mentions that the staves nearly form a pentacle. You could use it as something almost arriving or just past.

TemperanceAngel

I call this the 'much ado about nothing card.' :)

The Wands are making a PENTACLE ;)

XTAX

WalesWoman

"TemperanceAngel I call this the 'much ado about nothing card.' "

I like this, and it does get an F- for Fire and lots of it! It could be like a bunch of kids acting out the lastest Ninja movie or those arguements, "My dad can whip your dad anyday" "Oh Yeah, well..." or competition in sports, business, creativity, anything where lots of minds with energy to spare are sparring, practicing for the real thing.

tarobones

About Grades

I agree with Lee about giving out grades. Why not just simply say that we see different things in the images rather than sounding so pontifical about what another person is thinking/seeing? That sounds rather rigid. And judgmental.

I also see strife. Life is like that. Sure there is also the kind of strife and competition in an image like this. I am one of 7 brothers, so I understand that image too.

For me, the richness of the Rider Cards is that we see things from our persepctives and each one interprets according to his/her inner visions. That is what makes it a richer experience. My staying open to your interpretations makes me a better reader, and a better "noticer."

Just my 2 cents. :)

The picture surely is more evocative than merely a clump/assortment of wands.......what do you think?

firecatpickles

It does look to me like they are building a pentacle, Temperance! I like to look at the sequence of tarot as it moves not only up in suit, but also laterally by number -and each number has its own suit-sequence. "Wands to Pentacles" with the fives.

Lee, your dictionary version hits the nail on the head, as well. Who are we to discount someone else's interpretation? The def for the word "Strife" reminds me of these hot, hot, hot men on Spike TV -you know, the World's Greatest Fighting Champion- where they beat and kick the $#!+ outta each other and then hug at the end, in praise and thanksgiving?

I have often noticed how the figure in the middle, the one in the red tunic, is the one holding the staff with two hands, and so he is left not defending himself in any way. The older gentleman in the back (green tights, red thigh-highs) has his stick raised in attack and thus seems less vulnerable to me. Imagemaker, your "kata" theory certainly rings true, except our little red sacrificial lamb in the center needs a good dojo, it would seem...

KK

cdabs

Five (5) Of Wands

I agree with the other person who said that these kids (teenagers?) each have their own opinions (symbolically speaking), etc..

One thing I noticed...4 of them have wide-stances..and if you invert the card...each wide-stance basically form a "V"...i.e., the Roman Numeral V. The guy in the back with his wand crossed behind his head...(looks like he's taking a golf-swing or swinging a baseball bat)....has the narrow stance.

I believe these guys are competing....the center guy with red-top and hat against the foreground/blue-polka-dot guy; the left-most yellow-top guy and the right-most green-top/red-tights guy seem to be blocking the guy with the narrow stance/golf-swing.

There are TWO double-grippers and THREE right-handed grippers.

The guy in the middle (red-top, red hat)...has no sprigs of growth (leaves/branches) on his wand. The others have varying amounts of leaves.

When I see this card...it always reminds me of "confusion" because unless you really take it apart, it's hard to tell who's blocking whom.

Another thing about this card....if you look at the Roman Numeral "V" at the top...it is more or less incomplete....just like on the Five of Cups card. The other two remaining (Minor) Fives (swords and pentacles) have lines above and below the V. I'm not sure if there is any significance to this detail.

tarotlyn

5 of Wands

Maybe this card is more basic then that.

My take on the 5 of wands is:
1. I think it pertains to the person's viewpoint about himself and "his" ideas.
The person you are reading for.

2. Maybe he believes that his idea or ideas, his will, or his ego [wands]
are better than the others ideas, will, and ego.

3. He does believe in his work and social situations, but he may want
to change his working conditions as there is a lot of "striff" where he works.
These wands could represent a lot of challenges and "contrary" ideas coming
from coworkers.
This could also represent a business meeting with everyone trying to
interject their own "brilliant...they think" ideas.

4. Also this person (you are reading for) could be experiencing problems
and "strife" within his family or with his friends.

Maybe he wants to make some changes there as well. He may feel that his
ideas are more correct than theirs, or even that they are not listening to him.
They may be arguing with about what "they" want.
Note:
If you notice, the person, or boy, in the card to the "farthest left" appears to
be holding his wand straight up and no other wand is near to his wand.
- Sort of "you can't touch this idea!" - Not so for the other wands as they
appear to be more engaging of each other than with him.

The boy on the farthest left, probably the person you are reading for,
is holding his wand HIGHER up than any of the others, in a victorious manner.
Kind of of like: "I win, my idea is brighter...better" or "I should win."

Even though he seems in control of his own ideas, [wands], there are those
that are in the process of trying to get their own ideas [wands] recognized.
"Those" represent coworkers, social friends or lovers, business partners, and
family members.

Reversed meaning:
Here the person doe NOT believe in themselves or in their ideas [wands]
so therefore, they do not have confidence to get a job, or socially, or at home.

I think "all" 5 cards in this deck spell out: problems, difficulties, strife, etc.
5 cups...resentment over a relationship gone bad...and can't get over it!
5 wands...strife, competition in the workplace, or with friends, family, or loves
5 pentacles...unemployment! they believe so hard in money almost as a God
and that leaves them lacking and with a poverty mind...could indicate drugs too
5 swords...nothing but problems here...cruel to others and you win, but you lose!
:T10C

job

successgoodhealth said:
I think "all" 5 cards in this deck spell out: problems, difficulties, strife, etc.
5 cups...resentment over a relationship gone bad...and can't get over it!
5 wands...strife, competition in the workplace, or with friends, family, or loves
5 pentacles...unemployment! they believe so hard in money almost as a God
and that leaves them lacking and with a poverty mind...could indicate drugs too
5 swords...nothing but problems here...cruel to others and you win, but you lose!
:T10C

A bit strange with all the negative connotations that the number five give, because isn't this number the closest to describing a human being?

1) Five senses
2) Five points (head, hands and feet)

And to get really basic: Don't we see five as more or less a half-way point?

Disa

Well, if it is conflict, I think it's equally matched conflict. All the players are of equal skill. You know how sometimes kids (or maybe teens) act out what they think it's like to be adults? It sort of reminds me of that. It's "play fighting" as if practicing for the real world, but doing it among your "peers".

BodhiSeed

I guess I think of the fives as "Coping." It's kind of like the holidays - a little stressful with the shopping, cooking, etc., but also good things come out of it too. For me, this idea of coping means learning something even if it is stressful or chaotic at times.

Bodhran