6 of cups as action

BrightEye

i've been observing this card since the beginning of the year. it's been coming up in a situation, usually in terms of what to do/ how to move forward. it's come up with increasing frequency overt the last few weeks.

i once read as sending a message of love to someone, which i did and which turmed out exactly the right thing to do. but since i can't do that every day and since the card keeps coming up, i was wondering what else it could mean.

i get a sense of unfinished business, something that you can't let go, and that might be a message too - not to let go just yet even though its seems not so good. i also feel it might have a pastlife aspect, but i don't know how that would translate into action.

is it also about making someone feel safe, trying to build trust?

any more ideas?

tink27

Hi BrightEye,

I see one aspect of this card as someone who is open and emotionally focused to the opinions and feelings of others. Because this card is one of compassion, sometimes we attract people who have little self-esteem. This form of negativity can brush off on us and then we have to let go of people from our past to make room for new and more positive friends.

As an action card, I see one who has the ability to inspire others to reach their goal. It is also one of cooperating rather than trying to control a situation.

I also feel a sense of shyness here, maybe hesitation.....but if this person were asked to speak up for a cause they hold dear, their emotions would expressively flow.

tink :love:

Thirteen

Go Back in Time!

BrightEye said:
i get a sense of unfinished business, something that you can't let go, and that might be a message too - not to let go just yet even though its seems not so good. i also feel it might have a pastlife aspect, but i don't know how that would translate into action.
This is altogether likely as the card is often about nostolgia and going back to someone you left behind. Someone in your past (past life included--as a lot of people in our past life reappear in our present life. And business unfinished with them in that past life can be finished in the present life).

It's an especially likely card to turn up at this time of year, with holiday season right around the corner. Most of us will be heading back home to old neighborhoods or just to see relatives and friends we haven't seen in a year or more.

And yes, there is definitely action in this card. It's the action of arranging a meeting with someone from your past. Someone you cared about deeply, and still do care about. The boy/girl next door, the mentor who taught you everything, the relative who has a few secrets yet to tell, your first love who you still have unresolved feelings for.

This card tells you it's time to get together with them again--go to that class reunion, that family holiday party, that trip back to where you grew up, or just call that someone you can't stop dreaming about and meet them for coffee. It's time to for you to go back in time and rediscover what you felt in the past, to relive those feelings and understand them on a whole new level.

BrightEye

tink27 said:
I also feel a sense of shyness here, maybe hesitation.....but if this person were asked to speak up for a cause they hold dear, their emotions would expressively flow.
that's true. it takes me forever to say something important. i mull it over in my mind 100 times before i say it (if i say it at all).

Thirteen said:
And yes, there is definitely action in this card. It's the action of arranging a meeting with someone from your past. Someone you cared about deeply, and still do care about.

just call that someone you can't stop dreaming about and meet them for coffee. It's time to for you to go back in time and rediscover what you felt in the past, to relive those feelings and understand them on a whole new level.
although these apply, it's not someone from my past. and i've done all that anyway, arranging meetings etc, and the card still comes up, so it must be something else. is it perhaps more about trust?

tink27

BrightEye said:
is it perhaps more about trust?

Yes I would say trust. When I was looking at the Rider Waite 6 of cups yesterday, I could almost see another face in the girl's hair, looking away and down from the boy.

I think personal relationships are important to her, but they need to be on equal footing...it may be she fears losing her own personality to another who comes on much stronger.

tink :love:

Bridget

BrightEye said:
although these apply, it's not someone from my past. and i've done all that anyway, arranging meetings etc, and the card still comes up, so it must be something else. is it perhaps more about trust?
I never thought of it as a trust card before, but I could see that in the RWS image. There's no wariness in that little girl; she seems to trust the boy completely. Also, the children are in a walled city with a guard in the background, suggesting they're safe and protected - exactly the way I feel with someone I trust.

But you can also take a different tack here. Crowley's keyword (based on the GD title) for this card is "pleasure." The RWS image radiates pleasure, of course, but it carries a nostalgic tone, and the past is just one source of pleasure. If you're getting this card often, maybe you need to bring a little pleasure into your everyday life. That could mean rereading a favorite book, eating a piece of chocolate cake, buying yourself fresh flowers - little pleasures like that. It's easy to get caught up in work or in other people's needs and forget to take care of your own needs, you know?

star-lover

personally to me
its a card of pure intent and feeling in relationship with another - you have to open up your feelings and the other person has to be receptive to that to get the result of that joy that makes you think all's right in the world after all

its an offer of love, a sorry after a fight or a bad happening, a reconciliation that bridges the distance, an agreement to accept each other as each other is - like unconditional love i guess and a kind of forgiveness for the past - a card of faith in love i guess

as a card of action i would say is to make that leap and make a loving gesture

sorry, waffling

i also agree with the last poster about not forgetting about your own needs - its easy to buy into the best possible ideal scenario and perhaps this card warns about a reality check? alongside whatever action you take - like don't have big expectations but know your gesture will be met with likewise gesture

BrightEye

star-lover said:
personally to me
its a card of pure intent and feeling in relationship with another - you have to open up your feelings and the other person has to be receptive to that to get the result of that joy that makes you think all's right in the world after all
that's exactly what happened yesterday. and it didn't come from me but from her this time!

star-lover said:
as a card of action i would say is to make that leap and make a loving gesture
i'll bear that in mind. i've taken action in that direction already and it's been good.

star-lover said:
i also agree with the last poster about not forgetting about your own needs - its easy to buy into the best possible ideal scenario and perhaps this card warns about a reality check? alongside whatever action you take - like don't have big expectations but know your gesture will be met with likewise gesture
i'm not expecting anything anymore. but it's now that things begins to develop!

BrightEye

Bridget said:
But you can also take a different tack here. Crowley's keyword (based on the GD title) for this card is "pleasure." The RWS image radiates pleasure, of course, but it carries a nostalgic tone, and the past is just one source of pleasure.
isn't crowley's idea of pleasure in this card sexual (there are snakes inside the chalices)? he even mentions this in his book. i suppose the 6 of cups suggests situations in which you could become more intimate, which can but doesn't have to lead to sex.

Northwind

Value your foundations. This card continually revealed more to me each time I looked at it. We grow up with certain memories but with time and experience may come to understand things differently.

But there may have been much in your childhood and family which was good and worth building upon.

Just one view :).