6 of wands

cherrypie

I don't know why but most of the time I see the 6 wands as a card of arrogance and pride, that person is sitting on his high horse and doesnt care about anyone but himself.

What do you guys think ?

PAMUYA

Yes I agree, your meaning makes sense to me. I see this card as: RWS type cards:
I see a man triumphantly riding a white horse, looking like someone returning from a victory. A wand held high in his hand with a wreath on it. Others in the picture are holding Wands but their Wands have no wreaths. He also has a wreath on his head. Wreaths standing for victory, HE is the victor, HE is in the spot light, and HE is being acknowledged. He wears red, having pride and high self esteem. The horse pops out at me; it is looking back at the victor. The pose of the horse is like that of a carousel horse. The horse is white-purity, its blanket is green-nature-growth-health, Horse-strength, action, vitality. The people around him are celebrating HIM, he is receiving much acclaim. The red ribbon on the wreath on the wand he is holding catches my attention…whenever being placed on a pedestal, beware of how high you climb, it’s a long fall when the pedestal is taken away.

Direct: Leadership, being in the spotlight/public eye, achieving goals, center of attention, promotion, advancement, easy to obtain goals.

Reversed: Lack of direction, leaderless, do not know what to do, superficial benefit, creative energy blocked, think rather than act.

Thirteen

The narcissism goes both ways....

I don't know why but most of the time I see the 6 wands as a card of arrogance and pride, that person is sitting on his high horse and doesnt care about anyone but himself. What do you guys think ?
As sixes are all about harmony, I don't think this is quite on the mark. What you have to consider is, who was this guy victorious for? And what would his victory mean if no one was celebrating it? We'll grant that there is ego and even narcissism in the card--Wands do have a lot of that "me" energy. But this isn't a Hermit on a solitary journey who doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Our star football player doesn't just want to win the game, he wants to win it for his team, for his people, for his side. And, like most of us, he really wants people to notice when he does something great or amazing. He need and wants the applause.

So yes, he does care about others besides himself. Because others validate him, make him feel important, and give him a reason to do what he does. In the end, this cheering section may matter *only* as a cheering section, as they reflect him, but they do matter.

And to be fair, he, in turn, may only matter to the cheering section because he gives them a reason to cheer. We care about that star football player only so long as he wins the games. If he doesn't, we turn away to someone else. He represents us, our team. He won, so we won. And that is why we care about him. But like all such heroes and stars, we rarely know them personally or care to know them personally. So we really don't care any more about him then he does about us, right?

Thus, the ego and narcissism goes both ways. The two sides, however, do have a symbiotic relationship--they do need each other, and so do care about each other. Just not for the best of reasons. But this is the "Wands" suit, and it's about energy, passion, ambition, etc. If you want tender, selfless feelings from one person regarding another, then you need Cups.

canid

...a well-deserved pat on the back. It's not a card where something was just given to you, you earned it; enjoy it!

SA12

...a well-deserved pat on the back. It's not a card where something was just given to you, you earned it; enjoy it!

Agreed! If the card is badly aspected, then yes, I can see arrogance/jealousy or some kind of attitude problem. I would also add that in love, it's kind've a 'conquest' card -- sometimes sexual -- or, being so infatuated that you put this person on a pedestal or vice versa...Again, as long as the card isn't ill-dignified, it's ok to let your hair down and enjoy ;)

Edit: See also this recent thread: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=174477

canid

Agreed! If the card is badly aspected, then yes, I can see arrogance/jealousy or some kind of attitude problem. I would also add that in love, it's kind've a 'conquest' card -- sometimes sexual -- or, being so infatuated that you put this person on a pedestal or vice versa...Again, as long as the card isn't ill-dignified, it's ok to let your hair down and enjoy ;)

Edit: See also this recent thread: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=174477

Exactly! And not only if it's ill-dignified, but coupled with other cards the meaning can be altered, minimalized or exaggerated. Just for instance, the 6 of Wands w/3 of Pents, that would be a very public show. The situation COULD be taken advantage of but that depends on the reader regarding intuition & surrounding cards, let alone the spread meanings, if you use such. I don't see this card by itself as arrogance or (undeserved) pride, unless the artist's rendition leans toward that direction & that's what you see in a particular deck.