78 Card Reading?

Alta

It does seem a touch excessive. :) Generally a life doesn't need that many cards to get a full picture. I assume it is all in the patterns, the neighbours, the interactions. But still, so many cards!!! argh.....

amethyst57

at first blush it does seem odd...but there playing spreads with whole decks...
think it would be an exhausting reading though, lol

may be suitable for a novel....

Nytebugg

I kn ow I couldn't read it. too many cards. 21 has been the most I can read so far. after that it gets rather confusing to me.

Chronata

A friend of mine once did a really wonderful 78 card reading for me.

The method she developed was to read the entire deck as it fell...three cards at a time.

She would throw three cards down, decide in a few words what those three cards said (sometimes it was a sentence, sometimes, a single word) and then proceed through all the cards.

It was fascinating to watch, and was really an amazing (and quite accurate!)experience.
Mostly because she did it so quickly!

I remember trying it once myself, but I was too caught up in the individual meanings of the cards at the time, or trying to find some clever thing that the three cards had in common.

She told me that the practice is to just look at the three and say the first thing you notice. Sometimes it's the colors, or the numbers, sometimes it's just the feeling..doing it quickly is the key.

SunChariot

To do a 78 card reading and personalize it to the querent would take an incredible amount of time to do! No one is going to give that much time way to all who sign up. To me that means they would have to either charge an arm and a leg for each OR you are going to get a very very low quality reading with set meanings for each card that cannot be changed. I don't see any other way...

Not to mention, if you CHOOSE to just use each card once somewhere in the readingnwhich I presume is bieng done, it makes me doubt the accuracy. In a regualar reading not all cards would be used. If you just asked 78 questions using the deck, you'd get accuracy but some cards might be used 5-10 times and some not at all.

I don't get the feeling that the person offering it has a ton of integrity somehow.

Babs

SunChariot

Chronata said:
A friend of mine once did a really wonderful 78 card reading for me.

The method she developed was to read the entire deck as it fell...three cards at a time.

She would throw three cards down, decide in a few words what those three cards said (sometimes it was a sentence, sometimes, a single word) and then proceed through all the cards.

It was fascinating to watch, and was really an amazing (and quite accurate!)experience.
Mostly because she did it so quickly!

I remember trying it once myself, but I was too caught up in the individual meanings of the cards at the time, or trying to find some clever thing that the three cards had in common.

She told me that the practice is to just look at the three and say the first thing you notice. Sometimes it's the colors, or the numbers, sometimes it's just the feeling..doing it quickly is the key.

Ok, that could work! :grin: And I'd love to try it too.

But I had the idea the other person was doing something a bit scetchy.

Babs

rainwolf

There's a spread in Connely's tarot book (vol 2) called Rahdue's Wheel that uses all 78 cards. It has three concentric circles in the middle, two side columns, and a few other placements. It's an in-depth spread that also looks at many issues and takes a considerable amount of time and energy, so while I think these spreads are rare, I don't think they are completely dismissible.

Edited to add: I remembered I posted this spread a long while ago, so I'll include the link here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36407

SunChariot

My thought was that it takes me over one hour per card...I can't imagine offering readings that take me over 78 hours to do for free online where i might get hundreds of takers! LOL Even if I know sometimes that others do it faster, I can't imagine doing that kind of reading for lots of people and being able to take the time to individualize each. To me they would have to use set meanings only to do it, just to make it feasable to do them in the allotted time and that would make me wonder about the quality of the readings.

Babs

Rasa

This makes me want to try!

I wouldn't do it as a "this card means this, and that card means that, in relation to such-and-such spread position, addressing every card", kind of reading... but would instead focus on their relationship to each other in the layout. I like Le Fanu's idea of doing it like a Lenormand, choosing various significators, and seeing what's around them, and Chronata's idea of looking at groupings and constructing sentences.

If the person you were reading for had specific questions, you could locate a card which indicates their question, and then see what's around it, to see what might be affecting it.
If not, you could just see what cards jumped out at you, and then look at what they're connected to.

You could pick a point to start from, and then play 'connect the dots' with your 3rd eye, jumping from one card to the next to tell a story.

edited to add:
Going to play with this a bit, and then will either open a thread in 'reading exchanges', or share something in 'your readings', when I have some time :)