78 Weeks: Pope / Hierophant

jmd

Some rather small succinct notes from some of my reflections...

This week, many reflections were essentially Christian Kabalistic ones - I have also posted a comment in the V Le Pape thread (in the History and Iconography Forum) out of some pertinent reflections earlier in the week.

Essentially, then, there are only three points I will make in this post:
  • The Pope looks towards the raised portion of his Staff, and with his right hand, his two fingers point too towards it. The acolytes hands are, by contrast, roughly parallel to each other's, forming a line pointing to the left of the card, seemingly missing the point entirely. His advice is to not look at him as head of the Church, but at what the church itself points to. Not look at the finger as the dog does, but that to which it points.
  • If one places oneself at a point in the scene (outside the card's captured frame) such that the Pope's eyes are directly met, what one notices are not two, but effectively three pillars - the third, and central, being his staff, at the top of which is the depicted Tree of Life. Hence again, not by the left- nor the right-hand pillars of excesses (behind him), but by the central pillar (in front of him) must one work towards the spiritual.
  • Upon the Staff, the Tree of Life, the triple Cross, is the representative of humanity, as Christ, as Adam Kadmon earthly crucified, as Life made Abundant by Spiritual strivings and redemption...
There was more... but do not want this post to be such that it takes away from these three aspects...

Now to read previous posts :)

Major Tom

As a part of my study this week past, I've been doing a lot of reasearch. My research has touched upon those historical representations (particularly from Marseilles deck) that I could find and photographs of the current Pope. There was never any question in my mind that the original name for this card when translated into English was anything other than Pope.

I reiterate my intent with this study is to create a tarot deck in Marseilles tradition with the same 'woodcut' style yet to depict the characters in the deck wearing modern clothes. Now the Pope has not changed his form of dress for centuries so that presented little problem, but the 'followers' most certainly have and this presented a major challenge for me.

The Pope has not worn the papal crown in public for many years so my card depicts him wearing a mitre, otherwise his dress is very similar to historical representations. The current Pope has never worn a beard, neither does mine, but the white/grey hair remains. He still carries the triple cross at times even if he more often carries a staff topped with Jesus on the Cross.

One of the photos I happened on during my research was taken from a large crowd and you saw the Pope on a large screen supported by scaffolding - a stage like you would see at a music festival. I modelled the 'followers' in my version from this photo.

Much has been made over what the followers are doing with their hands or whether we can even see their hands! My take on this is that they are applauding the person of the Pope but not his message.

Attachments

• v the pope.jpg
    v the pope.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 115

rexenne2003

Witches Tarot

The High Priest is apart of the 16th path in the Tree of life (Quabala). The hebrew letter associated with it is Vau, meaning Nail. The High Priest replaces the tradition Hierophant. The Astologicaal attribution is Taurus the Bull -- the Ox -- and is the strong, fertile, horned animal that is sacred to many gods, among many peoples. Along with other horned animals, the stag, elk, and moose--the ox is a symbole of male force, of the God, the Horned One, and is there for of this path, where that life forve is sent toward Earth. The flashing colors on this card are red-orange, deep indigo, deep warm olive, and rich brown. This card cordinates wih thte mythological figure of The Fisher King, and also cordinates with the jewel Topaz.

One of the functions of a High Priest is to draw energy into the circle during ritual. IN some ceremonial magic and it's actecedents, the High Priest, or Hierophant, was the major figure in ritual and practices of magic. He had a 'pythoness' who was there to use the energy the Hierophant drew, and there only becuase it was recognized that she had to be. The Priest may draw the energy, but the Priestess gives it form.

The Fisher King lay ill, as did his country, because of thier health was interdependent. He was the energy of the energy of his land, it's strength, it's furtility. Until he was healed, the land could not bear fruit.

The Topaz is a stone of creative energy, as is this path. The path below this leads to Netzach, which is the Sphere of Creative Energy. That energy comes from Chomah, passes through Chesed, and reaches Netzach as creative ideas and energy we can use in that respect.

Chesed is the first spere we can begin to understand, and the Triumphal Will, the Eternal, rejoices in the creation taking place. When we travel up this path, having spent time as Ancient Ones in what could be called Nirvana, we too, will rejoice in out Triumph and in our recognition of our own enternal lives.

Information taken from the Witches Tarot companion book. I do not claim it as my own.

spoonbender

21/01/2004
The Hierophant from the World Spirit is an Aztec priest. He wears a leopard skin and a crown of feathers. The finger of his right hand is pointing up, as if he’s saying: “People, look at me! Here I am, and I have all the answers!” I guess it could also show his connection with higher forces or him pointing people to the fact that those forces exist, but it looks more as if he’s feeling superior... With his left hand he holds a large torch, so on a subconscious level, he must want to inspire others, “light their fire”, you know? To be in the position he is in, he has to be an ‘enlightened spirit’... He’s kneeling before a marble staircase that leads to a dark veil hanging between two pillars, but that doesn’t mean that he looks humble – on the contrary! He looks extremely confident and sure of himself... Two people kneel before him on their hands and feet, making themselves look even smaller in contrast to the Hierophant. It’s a man and a woman, reflecting thus the duality of the universe. The man’s jewels are red and gold, while the woman’s jewels are yellow and green. The Hierophant’s jewels unite those colours. He is thus a mediator, suspended between duality... He must have an immense knowledge if people respect and obey him like this. Yet I still get the feeling that the Hierophant is taking advantage of his position... (Here’s a link.)

22/01/2004
Le Pape from le Tarot de Marseille (Hadar) is a card I love! Le Pape looks so kind and wise, exactly what he should look like! He doesn’t look strict or rigid, as so many tarotists picture him today (Robin Wood rings a bell?)...
Le Pape carries a tiara – he is the Pope after all -, but here, it doesn’t end in pure light or escapes the card, like the one from la Papesse did. This is an indicator that the two express their belief in different ways... This is also the first card in le Tarot de Marseille where more than one person appears: two small men are pictured at the bottom of the card, looking up at the great Pape and putting out their hand towards him. One of the small men has a sun hat with him, as if he – in search of meaning and understanding – travelled a long way to see and hear le Pape... Le Pape is someone who is placed in high esteem, someone who people turn to when they seek answers. Like the columns surrounding them, le Pape connects earth to heaven and heaven to earth. He is the link, the bridge, the mediator between the people and the divine... Le Pape wears two gloves with the Maltese cross on them. To me, the cross looks like the four elements coming together in one central point... With his left hand, he gently holds a triple staff. It is a representative of the Holy Trinity, and could also show a union of body, mind and soul. With his right hand, he blesses the two people who came to see him... Le Pape wears a long red cape, showing the passion and love he has for his faith. Underneath that cape, he wears blue, colour of the divine, of emotions and feelings. I found it very interesting that la Papesse is the opposite of this: blue over red. Yet they both have green sleeves... It’s especially interesting in comparison to the Empress and Emperor, who do the exact same. (You can see Le Pape here!)

Le Pape is a councillor, someone who you can turn to when you need advice. He is the representative of religion – just like la Papesse is the representative of spirituality – and gives guidance. Le Pape is the ultimate teacher (in the Middle Ages, the clergy were amongst the most educated, right?) and is respected for his wisdom and knowledge. He teaches respect for tradition and institutions.

23/01/2004
The Pope from the Secret Tarots is dressed in a vibrant red cape. It shows the dedication and love he has for his religion and the inspiring life force that is so precious to him... The tiara from le Tarot de Marseille has been turned into a mitre. The mitre has its origin in the symbol of a fish head and dates back even to Babylonian times. It reminds me then of the ichthus, the ancient symbol of Christianity. This mitre has been transformed, though, so it reminds me not to forget the roots of Christianity, not to forget the original message of Christ. (All that just from a mitre! Wow!) On first sight, the Pope looks a bit rigid—all the lines of his cape look so straight. Yet there his left arm appears, gently and elegantly holding a golden crosier. It is an important sign of his status, and the curved top also reminds me of a shepherd’s crook, and thus the care and guidance the people trust him with. At around the place of his heart hangs a golden cross, showing the faith that he values so greatly... His face looks serious and somewhat wooden, as if it is a mask. From behind the possible mask seems to be flowing long red hair. I get the feeling that, though at first sight the Pope may seem rigid and strict, underneath that initial conformity is a vulnerable and kind person... He stands before a throne that is placed before a large stained-glass window. On both sides of the Pope stand long, stone pillars. They look really old, and have sculptures at their base: to his right side a lion – in Christianity, a symbol of the power and force of God – and to his left a face with flowing hair – a soft, feminine image. The Pope stands between them, does that show that he acknowledges both sides and is a mediator between the two? (A link.)

24/01/2004
The Pope from the Tarot of Dürer is looking rather thoughtful while he’s sitting on a throne. Like the Popess, he wears a golden tiara. It shows his power over the three realms: heaven, earth and hell. The Pope looks pretty old and has a rather long beard. He is a wise and knowledgeable man, who has grown from his past experiences. His richly decorated robes are red – colour of power and passion – and white – colour of purity and illumination. The red is a bit worn off, though, which shows his mild and controlled character. The Pope seems to be looking at a little bag he’s holding with his right hand. I hope it doesn’t contain money from aristocrats buying their way into heaven. I’d hate to think this Pope is corrupt...! With his left hand, he holds a golden triple staff, again showing his dominion over heaven, earth and hell. Three candles burn behind him, showing his illuminated and enlightened spirit. The three candles also echo the three-layered tiara and the triple staff, and show the Holy Trinity... With his two feet on the base of his throne, he – as the representative of institutions and tradition – shows reliability and stability... A dog lies between his legs, faithfully looking up at the Pope. Now, dogs are loyal and noble spirits. They are ‘a man’s best friend’ and are protective guardians. The dog also reminds me of the dog normally seen in the Fool-card – and as such a calm voice of reason – or of the dog on the Moon-card – and thus a symbol of domestication. The dog shows the qualities of the Pope: a calm and reasonable man, loyal to his faith and the defender of morality, tradition and family values... The Latin saying on the card reads: “Virtus difficilis inventu est”, “It’s difficult to invent virtue” or as the LWB suggests: “Wisdom is not easily improvised”. It shows that true wisdom and virtue come with the years; it is not something that you can learn in a few days... (Link!)

24/01/2004
I would link this card to the wise Nestor, one of the Greeks in the Trojan War. He was an old man, who already had a long life full of experience behind him. He was respected by all for his wise words of advice and had a wide influence in most decisions taken during the Trojan War. He calmed people down with his sensible and eloquent words, bringing them to reason.
Another possible Hierophant would be the Greek centaur Ch(e)iron. He was thoughtful, educated and wise, and as a respected teacher tutored several of the greatest Greek heroes, such as Achilles, Herakles and Jason. They even say that Asclepius, god of medicine and healing, learnt the art from Cheiron.

Spoonbender

CreativeFire

The Hierophant

Have never really liked this particular card in the RWS and have therefore I guess, somewhat struggled with is meaning so thought I would go back to basics and do my study on the RWS first and then on the Sharman-Caselli deck, as I like this picture of the Hierophant much better - not as cold and not reflective of a particular religion or doctrine - if that makes sense.

RWS

Having previously skipped over or avoided looking closely at this card and its symbology, dug into a few books to try and see more.

The first thing that strikes me in this card is the Hierophant is seated on some sort of throne, looking very regal with two subservient looking characters at this feet. He wears a golden triple-tiered crown which have found can mean a few things - wisdom in the realms of the physical, emotional and intellectual (which could also be said the same of the three pronged staff). The crown can also symbolise mind, body, spirit.

He sits between two grey pillars (not black and white) as seen in other cards, but could still reflect the opposites, day and night, light and dark - maybe he symbolises that in some way his knowledge or the religious tradition fuses these together to become grey...

At his feet (standing or kneeling) are two men, who look like they are showing reverance, or seeking blessing or even undergoing some sort of initiation into a doctrine or belief system. Looked up more info on the two men to try and understand why they are shown in the card - "one is wearing robes decorated with the red rose of passion, while the other one wears the white lily of purity. Which reminds us of the balance needed between the masculine and the feminine, the active and the passive. The Hierophant acts as the middle path between the two figures and the two pillars."

The other thing I notice with this card is that the Hierophant is looking straight ahead, straight at you, not looking at the other two people in the card - like he is almost oblivious to them or just accepts or expects that they are there - followers or subordinates of some kind.

Another symbol, the Keys, (that I never really noticed before), but have done so more seeing it in the Sharman-Caselli deck more prominantly placed. But the keys are at his feet and between the two men - makes me wonder if they put them there?

The main gist of the book meanings I have found on this card are doctrines, education, church, secret societies, inner sense of obedience, orthodox systems or beliefs, traditional values.

Sharman-Caselli

As mentioned above, I like this image of the Hierophant much more than the RWS. The main reason being is that there is not the same sort of look of a religious leader raised to almost god like status or sitting on a throne above others, which of course is just my personal opinion and no doubt this would be seen differently by others according to their own beliefs.

However the Hierophant in the Sharman-Caselli strikes me more as a wise, old man who is not interested in the regal trappings and wears a simple white robe (symbolising purity of spirit). He also sits in between two pillars but on a simple square of stone and not an adorned throne, raising him above others.

He still wears the golden triple-tiered crown but again not as elaborately made.

This Hierophant wears the gold and silver crossed keys around his neck (more close to this heart). The keys can symbolise the masculine and the feminine, the Sun and the Moon, which together achieve perfect harmony. Also can mean the other and inner ways or have also read - the keys to heaven and hell.

He sits looking down, engrossed in the book he is reading, makes me think of a book of knowledge or traditions written by many people who have come before. He has his hand raised reflecting the expression "as above, so below" (as does the RWS), but to me seems to have more meaning as he is doing this while reading the words of wisdom and not so much as just as part of a ceremony... probably not making a lot of sense here but is just the feeling I get comparing these two cards.

This Hierophant also sits in a barren landscape with a clear sky, like there are not distractions or interruptions to his studies or reading. Which fits in more for me with the book meaning on this particular card of "In essence, The Hierophant represents the urge in man to understand his higher nature". Spiritual knowledge or at least the desire for it and is not limited to a particular creed or doctrine." "Suggests a wish to find a meaning in life that touches a deeper layer of the psyche than the desire for material success or social status.

This could mean that there is a desire to explore the spiritual side of your nature through study with the aid of books." Or even someone else in your life, that has gained the knowledge through study and can pass this on or guide you to a higher awareness or understanding to search for an inner meaning and greater purpose in life".

Still struggle with this card somewhat but doing this study and reflecting on these cards for the week has certainly helped me see different aspects and angles of interpretation.

Am looking forward to reading the posts of others here to help me further in this area. :)

Which has just made me think - maybe that is part of what he is about ... looking and learning through the words and thoughts of others who have more knowledge or understand more deeply.

CreativeFire

CreativeFire

Having just finished reading through the other posts, which definitely gave me some more food for thought....

In your post Moonbow, the question about wearing gloves.

Found in my readings this week a reference to The Hierophant wearing gloves. "He wears gloves to show that he keeps his hands clean". (The Hierophant in the Morgan-Greer deck wears gloves).

Not quite sure what this is supposed to mean though! :)

CreativeFire

Majecot

The Hierophant

Quest

This card has the golden torso of a man with an elaborate bejeweled headdress on he appears to almost be rising from a temple type structure with a mountain behind him. Three joined rinds with beams of light one tow this hand and one each to Easter Island statues on either side. On the roof of the temple, at first glance it looks like there are balls lined across the top, but on closer look, I can see that they are the heads of people. It appears the beams of light he is drawing from the three rings, he is in turn imparting onto the head of people that are coming out of the temple roof. Beneath his right hand is a five-pointed star, suspended and beneath his other hand he has a moon. Above his head at the center of a crystal vortex are the yin-yang symbol and the cross. The base of the temple is the face of two humans and a skeleton key on either side.
This is the first time I have noticed this much detail in this card. I actually had to get the magnifying glass out for those little faces that I was indeed seeing. There is so much in this card that I am sure I missed something but the hierophant is wisdom, tradition, the handing down of such from generation to generation.

Rohrig

This card has the face of a man, appears to be deep in thought from the top of his head are stars. The words the hierophant, der hoepriester le pape, spiritual master, teacher advisor inner leader, spiritual father. Highest transformation are written on the notebook paper in the foreground.
He is our guide, and teacher. The father that leads us though our journey.

The sign of Taurus are on both cards as well as the rune symbol Raidho. The fifth rune represents the motion of the wheel or wagon. And the Hebrew letter vav-
“You are the pathway for the light of the universe to pass through the physical plane.

Moonbow

CreativeFire

Thanks, I haven't done any research about it yet but I was thinking along those lines myself - just like the Queen - she is never gloveless in public for the same reason.

Moonbow*

CreativeFire

Moonbow, I noticed today that JMD has started a thread on just that particular topic - "Gloves on V the Pope/Hierophant" -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21780

which I am now interested in watching and finding out more, as this may also apply to other cards as you mentioned.

CreativeFire

galadrial

CreativeFire said:
The HierophantHe has his hand raised reflecting the expression "as above, so below" (as does the RWS), but to me seems to have more meaning as he is doing this while reading the words of wisdom and not so much as just as part of a ceremony... probably not making a lot of sense here but is just the feeling I get comparing these two cards.

Hi CreativeFire,

regarding the "three fingers up, two fingers down" hand position of benediction so frequently depicted, I've also read that the upward fingers represent that which is "open", or is obvious to the senses, whereas the downward fingers represent knowledge which is hidden/spiritual. The Hierophant reveals that which is hidden. So, perhaps his reading the words of wisdom would mean that he is assimiliating sprititual knowledge (laid down in writing from Hierophants past) and will reveal it to the accolytes. In contrast, the Devil has his hand raised with the fingers all upward- implying that there is no spiritual dimension, what you can apprehend with your senses is all that there is.