78 Weeks: Strength

arachnophobia

Possession, Voodoo Tarot of New Orleans

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/photo/165/17.jpg

I believe this card has an answer to both Major Tom's (re Strength as Lust) and galadriel's (re surreal colours) questions...

Surreal colour-scheme: red, black, white (grey), perhaps hinting at the colours of the Triple Goddess as maiden, mother, crone. It seems to me the dance shown in card VII has successfully reached a climax, and one of the loa (spirits) has stepped in to fully possess or "ride" one of the dancers. Hence, we no longer see the dancer, but the possessing spirit, since it has temporarily negated or eclipsed, i.e. completely "overridden", the little ego of the dancer; this amounts to the Voodoo consummation par excellence, when one of the spirits steps in and decides to thus "ride" a devotee! Note sexual overtones of "climax" and "consummation" also, Major Tom, because this trance-like ecstasy or swoon of possession has all the bliss and rapture of a sexual orgasm; indeed, one can also regard it as spirit "making love to" matter at its most intimate!

There seems nothing at all "grounded" about this card, unlike in other Tarots, because of the emphasis on the, at least temporary, total ascendancy of spirit. Indeed, the possible danger suggested by this card would seem the dancer failing to return successfully to re-inhabit his/her own body and ego again, and continuing on in this 'berserker' state of possession/rapture, which I suggest could amount to acute (or even chronic?) psychosis; hence the warnings by responsible practitioners of Vodoun that one should never aim for complete and total possession by a spirit unless under their supervision... Partial possession by a spirit, however, especially Papa Legba, seems quite safe and highly desirable, especially when it comes to reading the cards... This would amount more to a form of "channelling" (cf. my discussion of card VII) ;-))

FaerieStorm

VIII Strength & Raidho

Forgive me if mentioning Runes is inappropriate for this thread--but it seemed like the perfect place to ask this question:

Recently I did an elemental reading for myself (E/A/F/W/S), and I used both Tarot and the Runes. In my Earth position, I pulled Stength and Raidho.

Because strength embodies inner strength and the need to use prudence as well as pure strength, it seems that Raidho is saying that it takes great strength of character and heart to walk ones life-journey.

I thought they fused well, but I wanted more insight because Raidho has been following me lately.

Thanks, FS

gregory

sorry for delay - phone line again....

STRENGTH - Revelations Tarot
First impressions

This is a much calmer card than one usually sees for strength. In the main image there is not hint of a struggle – strange. But that may make it eve more powerful.

From the LWB
Upright

She is calm in knowing that it is her courage and gentle nature that will overrule the ferocity of the lion. From within her comes the strength that will triumph over all.
Strength comes from within oneself when this card is drawn. Here it is the courage that is experienced when faced with danger or the ability to stand up to whatever the universe throws in your direction. It is driven by the power of your personal convictions and faith.
Strength comes embodied in those that help you along the way, fueling your own need to be bigger than is expected of you. They can be generous and giving individuals and may also be there to help fight on your behalf or by your side.
In a situation, the Strength card indicates that issues of unpleasant natures should be confronted, arguments are to be settled, and antagonism should be addressed. It advises drawing from within the strength and experience to deal with and overcome these situations. In terms of relationships, this card
summons patience and understanding to allow for any difficulties to be addressed.
Reversed
Courage has deserted her. She cries in despair and fears for herself. Here courage and strength have left your side. Life may be difficult to face with daily chores and routines wearing you down. You may try and find a hidden place to dwell on your sorrows, but eventually you will need to find your strength to live once again.
As an individual, this card reversed represents a person who has lost hope due to defeat. He or she is generally woeful and full of sorrow and self-pity. This person has lost touch with his or her inner strength and finds it difficult to push through the barriers and difficulties in life.
In a situation, this card advises summoning your inner strength to carry on despite any difficulties you are going through. Inevitably, your fear will need to be overcome and ,,:eek:ur enemies and obstacles will require confrontation.
Images and Symbolism
The lion represents Leo, a sign of generosity, loyalty, and reliability.
The greens represent the richness of nature, which the card grounded in. The lady not only conquers the lion, but a -~n of the wild.
The stained glass and large wooden door draw on the ritual aspect of the card-of finding inner strength.
The reversed lady has lost all strength and dwells in fear and sorrow.
The thorns, dried-up vegetation, and dark forest in the background represent the arid nature of the loss of strength.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Strength, courage, conviction, energy, determination, action, heroism, virility.
Reversed: Weakness, pettiness, sickness, tyranny, lack of faith, abuse of power.

My impressions:
A very calm woman in a light green dress stands in a garden, hands folded, with a lion in front of her – docile and non-threatening. There is a rose hedge and a group of trees behind her. To her left is a tall panel with two more traditional images of strength reproduced on it.
The reverse image shows a much older woman, with grey hair, weeping. Her hand rests on a closed wooden door with a crucified figure on it. The lion’s head is beside her (it is the one from the upright image) making it appear that the lion lies dead on his back. Dark trees and a bare hedge are behind her.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

yakn

78 Weeks Card: Strength

Strength: Rider Tarot

The sky or whole horizon yellow "golden dawn".
Blue mountain in the far distance.
The green forest in the back ground.

The lady is in a white(for purity) flowing dress.It drapes across the green grass. Wrapped around her waist is a red rose garland with a green belt.(Possible nature and passion, since it is red roses and wrapped around her waist)

Her head is adorned with a wreath of flowers (red and white) with some greenery. Red for passion, love ... white for purity, truth...

Above her head is the halo of infinity. A constant.

She is looking down lovingly and compassionately at the lion that she is bending over, stroking his head with both of her hands. No fear.

The lion is looking up at her adoringly and even licking her wrist. His tail is tucked between his legs as if in submission to her but willing submission.

Shows strength of character and physical strength.
Power but not abuse of power. Infinite wisdom of how to use her power after going over the cold blue mountain and wandering in the forest. The strength and wisdom has come lovingly to help in this golden dawn of a new beginning.

coyoteblack

78 weeks strength

Description : there is a woman wearing red and gold with long red hair and blue eyes she has an arm band symbolizing as above so below her right hand is holding her robe open at the chest level
on her left is a boar also with blue eyes he is calm almost serene
On the ground on her right side is a sword she is standing in the middle of a meadow
First impression: She and the boar have the same color eyes and her hair and the boars coat are almost the same color red. She appeared to be bearing her breast as if to say she fears nothing and the sword on the ground say she has no need to fear anything. She seems very confident but not cocky
Also she is wearing red and gold very masculine colors. It is the balance between wild side and the cultured side the wild energy and passion compassion
Element, mode, number
Mode: She is asking if you have the intestinal fortitude to get this done if not why?
Element: Fire. This card is a lot about nwyfre, manna, pranna, there is also a lot of compassion and balance in this card because if fire is let go on its own is will destroy itself and others around it.
Number 8 : abundance and manifestation(druid craft) also direction and control( 21 ways to read tarot)
Combined you can see how if we earn to control our base animal nature with will and become one with it we can manifest great abundance with inner strength not control that’s more like the chariot but this is that intestinal fortitude.
Brining it all together:
With fire, the 8s and all this balance between refinement and animal ,male( red, gold and the boar) and female there is a lot of balance in this card I think this is achieved with compassion and that inner energy a different type of will power more like the power going through the magician. Until today I never realized this card had so much depth to it.

Good:; controlling the base animal instincts, inner strength , compassion,
Bad: forceful, will fill, can be a ego maniac stubborn can lead to being a people pleaser
Indifferent: intestinal fortitude, non violent non aggressive.

ps my deck has strength before justice so I did strength this week I hope this is ok?

Tesseljoan

78 Weeks – Force

On this card I can se one of those delightful little quirks of Mr. Dodal: on the side of this card it says F.P.Le.Trange, presumably meaning Fait Pour L’étranger (made for abroad), an export deck. Which makes me wonder: does this mean the deck is of exquisite quality or less quality then the decks that were meant to stay in the country? Or was it just meant to keep a tally, as card-makers weren’t allowed to make a certain amount of decks? I’m speculating now, and it probably would be best to leave the question for later.

I have taken a good look at Force before. I noticed then that I couldn’t see that she was straddling a lion. It seemed (and it still seems to me) that lion and lady are one and the same. She’s containing a part of herself. Considering the place of the lion’s mouth, this could very well refer to sexuality, in my opinion… but in my readings the lion can also refer to fear. The lion stands for instinctive behaviour, and our lady is in perfect control of these instincts. Her robes on her right leg look like flowing water; I take it to mean that she’s more of a gentle persuasion, she has the strength and gentleness of masses of flowing water.

I’m not sure how the lion is going to end up though. The card reminds me of two stories: of Samson and the Lion, or Hercules and the Nemean Lion. Both lions didn’t end up well: Samson tore it in two from the jaw downwards, and the other one ended up on Hercules’ shoulder, if only partially. So must this lion also end up badly? It seems that that this particular struggle has no predictable ending. Are we going to let our lusts, fears and instincts make our decisions for us, or do we put the lady in control?

I think the word ‘control’ is crucial here. She is in control, but she’s not victorious. I don’t believe that she kills the lion in the end.

And speaking of her, who is she? She is the personification of Strength. That’s all well and good, but why does Strength look so wealthy? Her hair is done very elaborately, and her clothes are looking good as well. Secondly, what goal does Strength have, other then keeping our instinctual drive in check? It might seem obvious to all of you, but when I think really hard, I don’t know why she’s locked in this eternal embrace with the lion. Who is she? Why is she doing this?

Drawing: trying to do colour again, Yikes! Will post when I have access to a scanner.
And when I find that scanner, I’ll also attach a painting by Tiepolo, that shows Force and Justice calmly chatting to one another. I saw it in Venice, and while it won’t provide earth-shattering new insights, it is rather nice and I know you people will appreciate it.

nicky

RWS Strength

08 Strength
Daughter of the Flaming Sword, Leader of the Lion
Leo
Teth
Fire
Path 19: 4 Chesed to 5 Geburah - The Mercy of Severity

A woman wearing a long white dress is holding the head of lion. She is wearing a garland of red roses on her head and around her waist. She has a lemniscate over her head. She is closing the lion’s mouth gently. The lion and she look at each other lovingly. The lion’s tail is between its legs. The sky is yellow. In the distance there is a single blue mountain. The land is hilly and green.

In a reading: The Fool is now learning quiet determination. Strength control works by moving with the universe. This card denotes overcoming problems through persistence and firm intent. It is a card about controlling impulse in a creative and natural way. In a reading it reminds you to use the inner strength you have to overcome obstacles. Have faith in yourself. This is a time of good health. Corresponding traits include: inner confidence, fortitude; perseverance; determination; conviction; honesty; inner strength, moral force, self-control, persuasion, tolerance, understanding, compassion, and gentleness.
Reversed: FEAR .Being weak-willed and impulsive. Cowardice, timidity, doubt, insecurity, excessive dependency. Whatever you are trying to control is too much to handle. You may need help. You may feel physically drained. This card can warn of being too domineering, obstinate, intolerant, misusing power. False pride and irrational anger may be issues.

jmd

The power wanes from strength and waxes to virtue.

Jewel

Though I am way behind in posting I have kept up with this study group. I'll be adding to the threads as time allows.

DECK: CELTIC DRAGON
STRENGTH:

DESCRIPTION OF THE IMAGE:
A young woman, with her brown hair pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of her neck, stands barefooted in her yellow dress with blue trim and green cloak touching the underside of the large orange dragon’s mouth. The woman’s dress is trimmed in blue with Celtic designs on the hem, collar, and sleeves. This design matches her bracelet and the trim on gold trim on her cloak. She has a blue purse, and a small red pouch hanging from her neck.

The woman is leaning in towards the dragon looking it in the eyes. Surrounding the woman’s feet are 6 little dragons, 2 red, 2 blue, 2 green. The Orange dragon is large, a little over twice the size of the woman, and is at “seated” with 3 legs on the ground, and luminescent yellow wings partially opened. There is white smoke coming from the dragon’s mouth. Its left forepaw is raised.

Behind them is a rocky cliff with a tree growing from the side. Its roots handing onto the rocks, its canopy blowing in the breeze. In the immediate background to the figures is a calm lake.

DESCRIPTION OF EMOTION:
This card exhudes empathy to me. An emotional understanding and a bond between woman and dragon. The dragonets seem curious and attentive. The tree in the background speaks to me of struggle to grow and stay alive based on where it is located.

NUMBER 8: Strength: eight’s are about complexity, adjustment, re-evaluation, control, restraint, progress, being determined, being inspired. Reversed, they can also refer to generosity, precipitous action.
NOTE: Please note that key words were selected from a list based on their relevance to the image on this particular Strength card: Eight’s

I am studying the Strength card. Eights are about control, restraint and inspiration.

MODE/SUIT/ELEMENT:
MODE: Major Arcana – answers “why” the “who” is in the “what”. They are the lesson to be learned in the situation or the archetypal energy being expressed.

SUIT: N/A

ELEMENT: Fire – radiant, energetic, passionate, courageous, willful, optimistic.

MEANINGS:
The CD book focuses his meaning on the dragon at the threshold testing initiates courage and determination to continue the journey. The focus is on spiritual development and magic.

In relation to 78 DW, my primary source for this 78 week study, the Strength card is described as one where inner strength allows us to confront our fears calmly and face them. Strength is one of the first steps in showing our ability to go beyond the ego. It opens up the personality with love and confidence in the final results allowing us to move on through the path to the Hermit.

78 DW is very descriptive of the symbolism on the RWS version of the card, and the comparison between the Strength card and other Majors. It also addresses alchemical connections and other esoteric symbolism.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
I find that the CD has taken a different direction with the Strength card, than that of the RWS. The CD takes on more of a new age transcendence to a higher level, whereas the RWS is more about psychological transformation. In the CD you see more of an equality between the woman and dragon, in the RWS you see a taming of the lion. The CD does not incorporate the esoteric symbolism described in 78 DW, and is overall a very different card from the RWS. The similarity I do see between the cards is one understanding and control over the emotions. I do not find the CD strength card as strong symbolically as the RWS, or even as strong as other CD Majors previously studied.

coyoteblack

I like how you compared the CD to the RWS useing the books offered. You have an extra hard task as the book with the CD is not great.

I also like your take on the new age strength with out actually saying it is better or worse.