9 of Cups, 3 times in 48 hours?

Bluezman

Hi Everyone,

Now, this is seriously crazy. Heres the deal. On Monday, I found out I have to head back to my university on Wednesday (I just re-enrolled a couple months ago after having been out of college for 3 years) to choose my classes for this Fall because of variating issues with having been out of school for that long. Nonetheless, I was scheduled to go there Wednesday April 1st.

So, I was pretty stressed about it and worried because of some conflicting issues with classes/new requirements/etc.

On April 1st / Wednesday at 2am (I stay up late), I did a daily spread using Golden Tarot, no reversals. I never do daily spreads (never really have), unless its some significant day or something significant going on that day, such as this day -- me returning to college, choosing classes and all.

So, I did a daily card specifying 'Events that will transpire today'. I shuffled about 6-7 times prior, drew this card from the top of the deck. I drew the 9 of cups. Interesting. Ok. I took the card, stuck it in the middle of the deck, shuffled about 3-4 times, cut the deck twice split in four sections, and reshuffled about 3-4 more times (I feel the more shuffling that gets done, the more accurate I feel about the reading/and it usually ends up that way too).

I decided to do another card, but this time for the days Energy. After all that shuffling mentioned above, I drew a card from the top of the deck. 9 of Cups. I was stunned, what are the chances (1 in 78!! About a 1% chance) and I originally just stuck that card in the middle of the deck minutes prior before doing the shuffling.

So the Events for the day was the 9 of cups, and the energy for the day was the 9 of cups. Both in back to back readings.

Just did a reading tonight, about 20 minutes ago, an Exploration Spread (6 cards). Shuffled all the cards about 8 times with several cuts in between. All drawn from the top of the deck after shuffling.

In the spread, the first card represents "Situation Now".

Card I drew: 9 of Cups

Again! Absolutely insane. So the current situation is the 9 of cups, yet again. Therefore, this card was on the top of the deck after shuffling, yet again, on a different day, too. What is so significant about the 9 of cups showing up 3 times in 48 hours? I have never had such a card come up this consistently -ever- in tarot.

What is going on? What is this saying? Am I supposed to get something I wished for? Is this telling me that i'm going in the right direction? Is this saying that the right direction is college, and/or that i'm now on the right path? The 9 of cups is the wish-card, but im not sure what i'm really getting here. Opinions?

Has anyone ever had this happen to themselves? A card appearing on the top of the deck consistently in a short time frame? Or drawing the same card consistently over and over?

Mellifluous

Yes, it happens.

I think the first question to ask yourself is what actually happened Wednesday. How did the 9 of cups play out that day?

Then go from there.

aware7

In my opinion you're over-using your cards

I know opinions on this forum vary re how often tarot cards should be used, what kinds of questions should be asked, how many times questions should be asked etc etc.

However, I have learnt that I get gibberish or stubborn, insistent 'answers' with the same card coming up again and again if I over-use my cards. I know other people will feel differently, but I find if I use them too much and ask the same questions frequently, or are too trivial about what I am asking, I do not get helpful or sensible replies.

For example an example of a daily business type question for me that's okay would be to ask where something I can't find in my messy room is hidden. I have always found The Hermit which as a Major Arcana card is supposed to be about significant life issues and events comes up when the object is concealed heavily and that means I have to search around a bit more strenously than I thought.

However, asking about somebody's attitude towards me in the day more than once or about how the day is going to go more than once or about relatively unimportant issues in the day tends to get me a rebuff from the cards in the form of nonsense or a message that seems to say 'cut it out'. This is my subconcious mind or the Universe telling me to stop wasting my energies and focus more on practicalities, or to stop being compulsive and insecure.

Maybe the Universe/your subconscious mind is telling you to just get on with it and focus on getting on with your life.

balenciaga

9 cups - I get this card in relation to Beauty, Art. The Creation of Beauty. It can also be the feeling of happiness and beauty - things have a beautiful appearance, being optimistic.

starrystarrynight

Well, it certainly seems significant that you drew that card so many times.

Maybe it means you will only get into 3 classes--for 9 credits (if you need, say, 4 classes or 12 credits to qualify for full-time?) Or something as mundane as that.

WalesWoman

This has been showing up a lot in my readings too lately... I think it has to do with expectations waiting to be fulfilled. I see 9 Cups as anticipation of something good yet to be or in the process of becoming reality.

I should go look at the Golden 9 Cups to refresh my memory, the one I've been getting is Golden Botticelli, that shows a bunch of people sitting at the banquet table, like a panel or the table of honor, like some formal event or celebration. In most decks it seems like the wait before the actual event begins, having everything ready and just waiting for everyone to show up and enjoy it. It's more like the planning and getting it together for the big event and how much fun and enjoyment you take in the preparations and planning it to be just so.

When the card keeps coming up like this, I would think there is some important message for you rather than it's placement in the spreads or questions you are asking. It's begging for your attention... so you could do a spread about why this card keeps popping up and what it is it's trying to get you to see.

It could be to realize and appreciate what you have and be happy with it, to share more of yourself and those good feelings, that wealth of emotion with others, to celebrate your accomplishments and share the good times. It is a display of sorts that there is plenty to go around and you are more than willing to spread it around, an invitation of sorts to partake and par-tay. :)

Or it could mean emotionally you are feeling pretty good about everything, that you are feeling generous and bountiful and not worried about being stingy with your feelings or love, that you have plenty enough not to worry about being run dry.

Bluezman

Thanks for the replies everyone!

" I think the first question to ask yourself is what actually happened Wednesday. How did the 9 of cups play out that day? "

I honestly dont know, I was asking myself the same thing (Wednesday night, since that same day at 2am I drew the 9 of cups for both the energy and event for that day). The only thing I could think of, is the fact that, it was the first time I stepped onto my old college grounds since May 2006 (was the first time I was back there since May 2006). Thats the only thing I can see as significant of that day really.

" I know opinions on this forum vary re how often tarot cards should be used, what kinds of questions should be asked, how many times questions should be asked etc etc. "

I think theres something significant about the 9 of cups that I keep getting, its some kind of message, thats what im trying to figure out but I just cant pinpoint what exactly its telling me or the meaning why it keeps showing up. Ugh.

" 9 cups - I get this card in relation to Beauty, Art. The Creation of Beauty. It can also be the feeling of happiness and beauty - things have a beautiful appearance, being optimistic. "

Thats true, it could represent moving to a direction of prominence/going for your goals/moving forward, etc.

" Maybe it means you will only get into 3 classes--for 9 credits (if you need, say, 4 classes or 12 credits to qualify for full-time?) Or something as mundane as that. "

I could see that as applying to some people (such as part-time college students), but for me that wouldn't apply as I already signed up for 14 credits and am choosing another class in the next few days (just have to re-arrange my other classes a little) to get up to 17 credits. Plus everything is set for full-time enrollment which is minimum 12 credits per semester.

" When the card keeps coming up like this, I would think there is some important message for you rather than it's placement in the spreads or questions you are asking. It's begging for your attention... so you could do a spread about why this card keeps popping up and what it is it's trying to get you to see. "

Excellent idea! For some reason I never thought to do an entire spread on just the card itself, that would certainly add some clarification. I will do that tonight. How would you normally do a spread regarding a single card? I've never done that before (because i've never had a card appear so prominently, as you mentioned its like its begging for my attention).

Should I take the entire tarot deck, pull the 9 of cups out, side it upright as a "Significator" and do a reading (and/or use the Celtic Cross or Horeshoe?) Should I leave the 9 of cups in the deck and just ask a question "What is the significance of the 9 of cups appearing so prominently the last few days?" then just draw a few cards, 3-4-5 or so for the spread?

I know in tarot one can do whatever feels right for themselves and/or in that moment, but i'm still curious how others would do a reading on a single card, i've never done that before, I have some ideas but am curious how others would handle this scenario :D

Thanks!

Mellifluous

Bluezman said:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

" I think the first question to ask yourself is what actually happened Wednesday. How did the 9 of cups play out that day? "

I honestly dont know, I was asking myself the same thing (Wednesday night, since that same day at 2am I drew the 9 of cups for both the energy and event for that day). The only thing I could think of, is the fact that, it was the first time I stepped onto my old college grounds since May 2006 (was the first time I was back there since May 2006). Thats the only thing I can see as significant of that day really.

[snip]

I already signed up for 14 credits and am choosing another class in the next few days (just have to re-arrange my other classes a little) to get up to 17 credits. Plus everything is set for full-time enrollment

lol omg... OK. Seeing as you are a boy, and I think you mentioned somewhere you're also a scientific boy... I think it's time for a different tack. *ahem*

Didn't this signing up for 14 credits' worth of classes happen on Wednesday? Wasn't that what you went there to do? And it went well, it happened, it was a success... You were stressed but in the end, you got what you wanted and set out for?

Also, this is cups. How did you feel Wednesday? Were you happy? Accomplished? Successful? Was it good to be back there for the first time since 2006? Was anyone nice to you at all that day? Is the campus beautiful enough to lift your spirits? Did you get a rush from buying new school supplies? (I do. That's why I ask this geeky question.)

Anything?

Beuller?

Beuller...?

*rattles you around, listens for the clink of a loose emotion*

:joke:

Nine of cups generally means getting what you wanted and hoped for (or possibly something unexpected) that makes you happy. It's about happiness and fulfillment. As mundane as the items on your checklist or the real, full-on, 'been waiting for it a long time, thought it might not ever happen, but now it's here' kind of happiness. Even a bit of nervousness and excitement. Remember to be happy when things go the way you envisioned and hoped. Enjoy it. View it as significant!

You mentioned this very type of thing in your original post. I think the difference is that you're not viewing it as significant. Stop and smell the roses between the stress-fests, huh? Yeah. *nods*

Congrats! Well done! :party: Hope everything else continues to fall right into place.

(And please excuse me for laughing/teasing so much. It's meant kindly. lol)

Bluezman

" Didn't this signing up for 14 credits' worth of classes happen on Wednesday? Wasn't that what you went there to do? And it went well, it happened, it was a success... You were stressed but in the end, you got what you wanted and set out for? "

It didn't happen on Wednesday per say, I went there to choose classes and was there at 4pm with an academic advisor, but found out my "time slot" or time I can start to register classes was 7pm that day. So the academic advisor nor me could choose the classes then. But I had all my concerns/questions addressed. We just went over the classes and selected which categories/departments I could choose from (so I guess we semi-chose classes, or categories per say) and wrote those down. I ended up getting home at 10pm exhausted (long day) and didnt bother choosing any classes that night. Thursday was busy, tired still, so I selected classes on April 3rd (Friday), I went on my computer and selected 14 credits worth. Today (April 5th) actually I just finished re-arranging and adding some classes and I now have 17 credits so i'm all set.

Heres something interesting that I just realized, that is, I had the 9 of cups for event and energy Wednesday, the day I went back to the campus. Then on Friday at about 3am, I choose the 9 of cups for 'Situation Now', went to sleep, woke up and choose 14 credits worth that day too. Maybe thats the connection then.

" How did you feel Wednesday? "

9 of Swords-ish ;) I felt more anxious than excited, probably 80% anxious, 20% excited. I ended up being happy I got some answers, but now even more worried about my major. The problem is I dont have a major, either. I had a major from 05-06, but it was so-insanely expensive (the major that I wanted to do), that was one of the reasons why I left college. I had to leave and re-assess my situation. So now i'm returning, but as an undeclared major. I'm bummed because I cant do what I truly want to do because of the cost associated with that major. So, im an undeclared major, clueless as to where i'm going, what degree to choose, because the one thing im interested in is completely unfeasable both for me in terms of cost, for jobs in terms of the economy, and a million other reasons. I have a few other majors i'm semi-interested in (that are nowhere near the cost of the one I truly wanted), but again, im not sure, and dont have as much passion for those majors as I did with the one that I enjoyed from 05-06 (albeit its very high cost).

So, i'm returning anyways as an undeclared, just taking general-ed classes that I need to take anyways. But, since I already have a year of school completed, after this Fall semester, there will be -very-, very few gen-ed classes left, so i'll need to decide on a major soon. I just have -zero- clue as to what that'll be. And after leaving the academic advising office April 1st, I just thought to myself, "Wow, so few classes left to take for Gen Ed, how will I figure out what to major in within the next 6 months, sigh". Its kind of like, I left that office thinking "I have enough gas to keep me running till till December when the fall semester ends, but, i'll be on empty come around January when Winter semester begins, unless I choose something - but choose what, I dont know what to choose, what to major in, ugh."

" Was it good to be back there for the first time since 2006? "

It was good to see people my own age around campus. I swear, when I was there, I was like "wow, some of the students look so young, like they're from high school". Kind of made me feel old/my age (22), I guess I grew up abit from when I was 19, many people I noticed walking around campus look so high-schoolish to me now (and thats how I probably looked just 3-4 years ago, lol).

" Was anyone nice to you at all that day? "

The academic advisor was extremely nice, but thats about it (didnt really encounter anyone else that day).

" Is the campus beautiful enough to lift your spirits? "

Looks the same really. As a guy I think the last thing on my mind is the beauty of a campus, LOL :D

" Did you get a rush from buying new school supplies? "

Haha, no, definitely not, I dread doing that (dislike shopping for anything really, but especially school-related supplies, ugh).

Mellifluous

Bluezman said:
Heres something interesting that I just realized, that is, I had the 9 of cups for event and energy Wednesday, the day I went back to the campus. Then on Friday at about 3am, I choose the 9 of cups for 'Situation Now', went to sleep, woke up and choose 14 credits worth that day too. Maybe thats the connection then.

[snip]

" Was it good to be back there for the first time since 2006? "

It was good to see people my own age around campus. I swear, when I was there, I was like "wow, some of the students look so young, like they're from high school". Kind of made me feel old/my age (22), I guess I grew up abit from when I was 19, many people I noticed walking around campus look so high-schoolish to me now (and thats how I probably looked just 3-4 years ago, lol).

" Was anyone nice to you at all that day? "

The academic advisor was extremely nice, but thats about it (didnt really encounter anyone else that day).

" Is the campus beautiful enough to lift your spirits? "

Looks the same really. As a guy I think the last thing on my mind is the beauty of a campus, LOL :D

" Did you get a rush from buying new school supplies? "

Haha, no, definitely not, I dread doing that (dislike shopping for anything really, but especially school-related supplies, ugh).

Sorry to hear it wasn't a bigger influx of happiness, but I do think you found the connection between drawing the card on those days: things moving right along towards your goal.

Aww. How can one be impervious to trees - in the ground or in their paper form?! :p

I'm one of those people who thinks everyone who qualifies for a certain course of study should be able to pursue it on the government's dime (would be a far better use of our tax money), so you have my sympathies over the cost. You still have time to figure out the what to major in dilemma though. Best of luck!